Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Success Stories » The Food Hospital Tonight. Featuring crohns

11-20-2011, 01:41 PM   #31
Astra

My Support Groups:
I hold my hands up, I take full responsibility for this thread and all that it entails.
I didn't intend to offend, I didn't realise it would get so heated.
I'm sorry if I've upset anyone, hateful is a very strong word, I don't believe anyone here is being that at all.
But......
I'm still writing to OFCOM.
My primary objective is for the programme makers to make it perfectly clear that this diet should not be used without a consultants supervision; and that by doing this diet will justify stopping any meds.
And for them to explain other symptoms that occur with CD not just skin rashes and bloating.

I've made it perfectly clear to you both that this is not your fault.
I've objected to the dumbing down of a potentially life threatening condition.
My father in law has diabetes and if TFH said a glucose free diet will 'cure' his condition, I would have the exact same reaction.
'Reality TV' has gone too far this time. It's time to put an end to it.

Joan

Dx Crohn's in TI 2005 symptoms for 15 years prior

BEEN ON -Azathioprine, 6MP, Prednisolone, Pentasa, Budesonide, Metronidazole, Humira, Methotrexate,

NOW ON -Amitriptyline 25mg
21/02/14 Right hemicolectomy surgery

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...4208290&ref=ts

No-one should make you feel inferior without your consent!

11-20-2011, 02:32 PM   #32
PortableAfternoon

My Support Groups:
I for one know that T.F.H has and will do Laura lots of good but want to add that this wont put her in remission for ever (Which some of you are presuming) because her crohns is more often set off by stress, so even the best tailor made diet in the world sadly cant cure her!!!. :-(
The narrator of the show did in fact comment that this diet may put her into remission forever. This is just one thing that has annoyed some of us. Everybody here knows that it's almost impossible (unfortunately) for it to put her into permanent remission or cure her.

I would like to also add that I can see why people are upset because they feel crohns wasnt explined properly, and again I agree but that wasnt ch4's fault because as ill repeat for a 3rd time "it wasnt the specification''.
It doesn't need to be in the specification for something to be explained properly. The way in which Crohn's was described completely ignores the nature of the condition and how it affects the majority of sufferers and although you, I and everyone else on this forum knows that it extends beyond the symptoms named, a casual viewer would not. It would take all of two seconds to add "diarrhoea" and "abdominal pains" to the list of symptoms.

We can understand that you, Laura and your family are thrilled with what the programme has done for you, but the problem we have with the programme is the way Crohn's was presented to the general public. You can tell us we misunderstood the point of the programme and ask us to re-watch numerous times, but all we see is the way in which Crohn's was presented to a casual Tuesday night viewer, which did not fairly represent what many of us go through during a flare.

And while it's not supposed to be an exhaustive look at what having Crohn's entails, a casual viewer will probably not research further and decide it's a bit of bloating and a few skin rashes which can be cured by being careful about what you eat.

While we have listened to you tell us that the point of the programme was not to educate on Crohn's, you seem to be ignoring the fact that this is the effect it, rightly or wrongly, will have on some of the people who watched it. The only education the public get on such conditions is through things like this and many Crohn's sufferers for years have been asked "have you tried cutting out x, y and z".

I've not been here long, but I'd like to hope I'm not out of place in saying there's no need for you to leave the forum because there's nothing wrong with a bit of debate - otherwise what would be the point? You've unleashed a can of worms, but that is by no means a bad thing.
11-20-2011, 03:03 PM   #33
robbo87

My Support Groups:
Astra. You have no reason to hold your hands up and take responsibility. I think it's clear to see that the majority of people have the same opinion as you.

No one has said anything hurtfull or offensive. Infact quite the opposite. If people are offended, It is because of a difference of opinion... But hey, would forums even exist if people didn't have a difference of opinion over things?

Emma I'm sorry that peoples difference of opinion has made you not want to use this forum anymore. I'll throw this one out there.... but to me it just seems like a knee jerk reaction to not getting the reaction to the show you expected. Just because of a difference of opinion of this particular matter doesn't mean you or Laura shouldn't feel welcome to share your experiences and ask for help and advice.

"Also by assuming my sisters symtems are milder is an iggnorant way to react"

I don't feel anyone has assumed your sisters symptoms are milder. The fact that a diet helps her that might not work for others doesn't mean they are less serious or painfull. Just a fact that some people have tried similar diets and it hasn't helped them, whether they have the same symptoms as laura or not..

I've found the people on this forum tend to only be supportive, and if person A has only just been diagnosed or doesn't have the same degree of symptoms that person B who may of had 5 surgeries and only have about a foot of intestine left, person B definatley doesn't make out that they have it worse or acts in an ignorant way. And if they did, I have no doubt they wouldn't last very long around here.
omeprozol 40mg
codeine x4
laparimide
ferrous sulphate
folic acid

ileostomy, colostomic mucus fistula stoma. gastostromy after recent surgery

tried, prednisolone, pentasa, azathioprine and infliximab
11-20-2011, 03:15 PM   #34
Astra

My Support Groups:
Thank you Martin
xxx
11-23-2011, 04:01 PM   #35
vickyhunter

I really didn't want to comment on this again as I think Emma did a nice finishing comment, but I'm getting a bit upset reading the comments.

I'm sat here with really really awful pains and feeling terrible. I've been having a flare up with pretty much no relief since December 2010. Diets do not work for me, I've tried the polymeric diet and elemental diet. When emma said we were getting "upset, angry and deffensive" of course we are! We're all feeling like shit and we don't want people we know watching this thinking we're bullshitting all our symptoms, if I was well I wouldn't have batted an eyelid to the programme and I would be totally agreeing with Emma probably, but I think it's the fact that there comes a point when Crohn's isn't so simple and it's frustrating when it's perceived to be that way.

I agree that the programme was tailored specifically to Laura, but after watching the programme if you thought you had Crohn's and you were worried you would walk away convinced you didn't after watching this. Not listing the "typical" symptoms is not only misrepresenting Crohn's but it's also down right irresponsible of Channel 4.

I also think saying things like this is a slap in the face to those poor souls who've had to have resections or entire colons removed after being ravaged by Crohn's (something I hopefully won't but may have to face in the future).

If I was sitting at home with a colostomy bag watching this programme I would be absolutely fuming.

But sorry for going on, I just had to let it out!
I hope everyone's feeling okay
Vicky
xxx

Starting Humira!!

Supplements: Multivitamin and vegetarian omega 3 flaxseed oil

Been on:
Pentasa, elemental diet tube feeds, polymeric diet (no diets worked) steroids many times
11-23-2011, 04:23 PM   #36
Astra

My Support Groups:
Hang on in there Vicky luv
Did you start Humira? Remind me, I'm old!
Hope you feel better soon, take it easy
xxx
11-23-2011, 04:41 PM   #37
xX_LittleMissValentine_Xx

My Support Groups:
Did anyone watch it last night then? :P
Infliximab

Past:
Pentasa
Prednisolone
Azathioprine

My blog: http://hollysbloggyness.blogspot.com/
11-23-2011, 05:08 PM   #38
Misty-Eyed
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Lol I didn't dare watch it. But I did tell my bf about the big debate that's been on here about it. Poor guy knows more about crohn's that most after sitting in the hospital for 9 hours by himself while I had my colon removed 6 weeks ago and has been looking after me in my recovery since.

But no, I wasn't fuming. Just worried about the points I made earlier. I actually Wish I could of done a documentary when I had my surgery, but then you risk worrying people who have been newly diagnosed!

'You can't change the past but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future.'

Diagnosed with Crohn's colitis aged 9, 1992.

Panproctocolectomy and terminal end ileostomy October 2011.
11-23-2011, 05:37 PM   #39
Astra

My Support Groups:
Did anyone watch it last night then? :P
NO!

When I saw it was about depression, I couldn't bear to watch it and then end up getting me knickers in another twist!
11-24-2011, 08:21 AM   #40
SnowDay

Yeah, watched it. It's an interesting show. It makes me sad that the crohns ep. angered so many people

Been on cyclosporine, currently on vit d3, zinc, probiotic, digestive enzymes, getting iv drips of vit C, B complex, folic acid, niacin and EDTA twice weekly and living on an all poultry diet. WANT CARBS
11-24-2011, 09:38 AM   #41

My Support Groups:
I watched it to, as I think I have already said I'm interested in what they do because of the course I am doing.
Also, I am doing a debate in a few months on 'The media does more harm than good when discussing food related issues'
So this is all good stuff for me - obviously I'm still angry about what has been said on a personal level.
12-12-2011, 06:58 PM   #42
ScottBoyd

In my opinion and this is purely my opinion this show missed an opportunity to really get the message out. I too felt it almost portrayed crohns as a skin condition and actually hardly mentioned the bowel?
The point is crohns is very individual specific.

Saying that I've just been approached to take part in a bbc documentary on crohns. Wish me luck!
12-12-2011, 08:02 PM   #43
Grumbletum

My Support Groups:
Good on you and keep us posted on that one. Should be really interesting.

Previous: Prednisolone, Mesren, Omeprazole, Infliximab, Azathioprine
Current: Pentasa, Librax, Warfarin
Helen x
12-13-2011, 10:17 AM   #44

My Support Groups:
Good luck! That sounds amazing! (if they get it right!)
How did you get involved in it?

Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Success Stories » The Food Hospital Tonight. Featuring crohns