• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Bacon is back!

When we told our daughter that on SCD she was only allowed one strip of bacon a week (fried crisp), she started making humorous analogies to "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" where Charlie had to make a chocolate bar last for weeks by enjoying it one tiny nibble at a time.

The exciting news today is that we let her have bacon and eggs for breakfast! Gwaltney hardwood smoked premium bacon just arrived at our local supermarket. It appears to be completely SCD legal in accordance with:
http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/legal/detail/bacon/

Now we just have to be alert to whether it is well-tolerated.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I hope her tummy is still doing okay with the bacon! I feel for her. I am not on a specific diet but I do avoid certain things like red meat. I used to love turkey bacon, but during the first year that I was ill, whenever I tried turkey bacon, made me feel so sick each time I ate it. So I gave up turkey bacon for about 3 years, then a few months ago I decided on a whim to try it again. Fortunately it went fine, and it's been fine ever since. So now I eat quite a bit of turkey bacon! I missed it so much! I hope your daughter has a lovely time eating bacon again too. :)

Ten hours later and she's still doing fine! Yes, she was very happy to have that favorite food back. I am profoundly thankful that the paleo diet is influencing manufacturers. We SCD people are reaping the benefits.

We've been including it daily with her breakfast and she is still tolerating it well. Yesterday at Safeway I saw they were almost sold out of this particular bacon. The word must be getting out.

Ten hours later and she's still doing fine! Yes, she was very happy to have that favorite food back. I am profoundly thankful that the paleo diet is influencing manufacturers. We SCD people are reaping the benefits.
Agreed! Sugar-free bacon? I hope. Anyway, it's also about the only homemade crisp thing I can eat. Ohh to hear a crunch...

I saw some soy based crackers the other day, but they're not sprouted, so I'm sunk... I can only tolerate sprouted soy... sigh.