• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Severe Muscle Locking?

I'm sort of afraid to move my limbs or anything much. Just moments ago, I stretched only a little of my leg and it started pulsating severely-like it was locked or something. I couldn't move my whole leg. I tried rubbing it, but moving my body worsened it. I tried waiting for it to pass, but it wouldn't stop. Eventually it ended, but ONLY after 10 minutes pass, but even then, my foot won't move properly and my leg feels weird. :( I told my doctor and he has NO CLUE why my body seizes up so much. It makes sleeping, writing, and moving harder. (My hands feel off everytime I write, I can't eat without my jaw killing me, just one move of my leg sends spasms..)

Is this because of me being on Prednisone or some external issue?

Hey StarRibbon

That sounds really annoying! - I would have your magnesium and B12 checked, and if you can see a massage therapist and or a chiropractor or physio. It may have been a kind of cramp?

In fact after re-reading your post - are you taking any magnesium? It could help.

Hey StarRibbon

That sounds really annoying! - I would have your magnesium and B12 checked, and if you can see a massage therapist and or a chiropractor or physio. It may have been a kind of cramp?

In fact after re-reading your post - are you taking any magnesium? It could help.
I'm not taking magnesium currently. It happens every day in bed- it just doesn't matter whether I myself know it. (I apparently cry in my sleep from it. I sleep through them mostly, but there is a time frame in which I'm not sleeping and if I move my leg during this time period even slightly...everything tenses)

DJW

Forum Monitor
Sorry to hear that. It sounds awful.

On top of deficiencies it could be dehydration (I get that a lot) or ressless leg syndrome. I'd get it checked out.

Hope you feel better soon.

Sorry to hear that. It sounds awful.

On top of deficiencies it could be dehydration (I get that a lot) or ressless leg syndrome. I'd get it checked out.

Hope you feel better soon.
I need to get that checked-I'll see if I can. Thanks

You say you're on prednisone -- are you taking calcium to ensure you don't get osteopenia/osteoporosis from the steroid? (If you aren't, you should. . . )

That said, if you're on calcium, it could be the culprit. You may have a calcium/potassium imbalance. If that's the case, taking a potassium supplement may reduce the muscle locking symptoms.

Another culprit could be eating a very salty diet. (Lots of salt = lots of sodium chloride = too much sodium, which plays a similar role to calcium when it comes to electrolyte balancing). Try cutting the salt in your diet as well if this is the case.

Mention that you are concerned about an electrolyte imbalance to your doctor. It may be something that requires only simple fixes like the ones I've mentioned above.