• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fitness & Exercise Support Group

hawkeye

Staff member
Managed to get out for a run last night. Registered for a 5K this weekend, might end up walking a fair bit of it depending on how I feel. Ankles feel tight tonight - gotta stretch

It's really impressive the attitudes and drive from everyone here :) I am aiming for the commonwealths in a couple of years maybe Olympics if things go my way :) I've read a lot of posts about endurance sport but less so on fast twitch fibre sport and exercise.

Little Bear, that's really cool! It will be interesting following your journey. Keep us posted as you move forward, it would be neat to watch you in the Olympics!

It's really impressive the attitudes and drive from everyone here :) I am aiming for the commonwealths in a couple of years maybe Olympics if things go my way :) I've read a lot of posts about endurance sport but less so on fast twitch fibre sport and exercise.
Good luck Little Bear with your training! I was read the other day something that might be of interest. Dr. Cannell wrote a book called "The Athlete's Edge, Faster Quicker, Stronger with vitamin D". In his book he details Eastern European and the former Soviet Union Olympic athletes use of UV light to greatly improve fast twitch muscle strength.

What was interesting to me is how UVB light use differed from taking vitamin D, reaching a therapeutic dose above 50ng/ml. I've read that around a dozen other substances are created in our skin outside of vitamin D when UVB ray strike us. Little is known about these other substances. Apparently though they are helpful with fast twitch muscle use.

Along similar lines, was reading tomorrow that a Scottish study is to be released about UV ray exposure. It is expected to show that UV exposure, avoid being burnt, significantly lowers blood pressure.

"‘Sunlight’ found to lower blood pressure"

http://www.drbriffa.com/2013/05/08/sunlight-found-to-lower-blood-pressure/

&

The picture can be seen lower in the link, but a 1970s photo of a USSR school using UV light on students.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/weekend-link-love-241/#axzz2Snlw5h3g

I actually saw that beach! Very interesting reading although on the BBC website the suggestion of going out in the sun unprotected because the statistical chances of getting heart disease is more likely than getting skin cancer was a little reckless! How about controlling other factors in preventing heart disease before relying on excessive sun exposure to put out a fire you've already started whilst simultaneously running the risk of cancer?!
I take vitamin D and whenever it's sunny in the UK (rare!) I am outside (outside anyway) but with factor 15/20 because I am fair skinned and there's family history of skin cancer. I also find vitamin C ridiculously good at helping with recovery after a hard session - really noticeable if I haven't been taking it.

Crohns people on here seem to be the most knowledgable about good diet and health than anyone I've ever spoken to!

Little Bear - I think one has to weigh the risks verses rewards when it comes to sun exposure. As you mention, avoid excessive sun rays as that is when one runs into trouble with some skin cancers. At the same time, too little sun exposure is dangerous also. As more information is coming in taking vitamin D alone does not provide the full benefits as sensible UV exposure.

That is a point often made when it comes to UV exposure. One of the better ways to avoid many cancers is with higher sun exposure/ vitamin D levels. One write up on this that I recall from Dr. Eades's sight.

"Heliophobe Madness"

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/supplements/heliophobe-madness/

snippet from the article:

...I think she’s overstating the case for these superficial skin cancers being “disfiguring.” Most are basal cell or squamous cell skin cancers, which are virtually non-malignant and can be removed without leaving much – if any – evidence of their ever having been there. Both MD and I have had basal cell cancers removed from our foreheads in minor office procedures without any evidence they were ever there.

The 68,720 melanomas, which are malignant, are much more attention getting. But, there is no evidence that excess sun exposure causes melanoma, while there is data showing that chronic sun exposure and vitamin D seem to prevent it.

Just for grins, let’s go along with Jane and assume that melanoma is caused by the sun. If we go to the latest cancer statistics from the American Cancer Society (ACS), we find that 8,700 people died last year from melanoma. We know that sun exposure and vitamin D (along with maybe the other 5-10 photoproducts we synthesize from sun exposure) help prevent breast, colon and prostate cancer. If Jane is correct and we avoid the sun, we run less risk of being one of the 8,700 people who perish from melanoma. But what about the other side of the coin?

According to the same ACS statistics, last year 40,230 people died from breast cancer, 32,050 from prostate cancer and 51,370 from colon cancer. So, on the one hand, we have 8,700 people die of a disease that probably isn’t related to sun exposure while on the other we have 123,650 who died from cancers known to be related to lack of sun exposure. I don’t know about you, but I’ll go with the sun exposure, “disfiguring” superficial skin cancers be damned.

Plus, we didn’t even mention the devastating disease multiple sclerosis, a disease much more common in those with little sun exposure. There are between 250,000-350,000 new cases of MS diagnosed each year. I’ll be happy to accept the risk of a few minor cancers to significantly reduce my risk of developing MS.

The danger of too much sun is minimal – the danger of too little sun is enormous. I know which side I come down on. The health trade offs remind me of a corny joke I heard when I was a kid that made such an impact on me that I’ve remembered it since. The joke (or parable) was about economic issues, but it applies to sun exposure as well.

Did you hear the one about the guy who took big steps to save his twenty dollar shoes and ripped his 50 dollar pants?

It’s just another way of saying don’t be penny-wise and pound foolish. In terms of our current discussion, we could say, Don’t be skin-cancer-wise and colon-breast-prostate-foolish. Which is exactly what the misguided perspective of most dermatologists would have us be.

I've always tanned (outside mostly) and used SPF and timing to avoid burning. I use a lot of moisturizer to protect my skin and never tan my face to avoid wrinkles. I've never had a problem with and form of skin cancer or damage from the sun.
I have a friend, on the other hand, who has never spent much time in the sun, doesn't tan, and she has had a couple of surgeries already for malignant melanomas. She preaches on the use of clothing and sun screen to avoid exposure to the sun, as that's what she blames her cancer on. I've always wondered if it caused by the sun or not, because of her minimal exposure compared to myself and many others.
I have another friend who has tanned so much in her life that she looks quite leathery (it's not very attractive, let me tell you) and she's never had any problems with skin cancer either. She always tans outside.
So it sounds like this article that Beach has posted might have some merit.

I use SPF 60 because when you ride for 4 hours without it, skin burns and it sucks. Also, I'm in the CF and it is a chargeable offence to have a sunburn that prevents you from being able to do your duties.

A chargeable offense? I suppose because it is under your control and if you are lax, it wil affect your ability to perform. May I ask, what is the CF?

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Wow Alli, the military is strict if you aren't even allowed to get sunburned! I'm not sure what CF means either but I'm assuming it's a military term... Canadian Forces?

As for this vitamin D & sunlight thing, for many years I avoided the sun and hated getting tanned/burned. Then this IBD or whatever it is came along, and I became so frighteningly pale particularly when I flared. Now I don't bother so much with sunblock, I like getting out in the sun and getting a little bit of color in my skin. I don't go out of my way to tan, but I don't go out of my way to slather on sunblock either. I'm glad to know that's probably helping me more than harming me.

Was doing some googling today and came across this website/forum and thought I would join and just give a brief introduction of myself. I was first diagnosed with Crohn's iin 1988 whil a member of the CF. I was lucky that I didn't have major problems as I was able to stay in the military for 34 yrs11 mos then was medically released.
In the last 12 years I have run 15 marathons, over 30 halfs and numerous 5 to 15 km races. I am not the fastest but I finish. I also do a lot of cycling during the year.
I had participated in the first 7 Goofy Challenges (run the half-marathon Saturday and the full on Sunday) at Disney World and was one of only 2 Canadians to do that. My wife and I were signed up for the 2013 to keep me "Perfectly Goofy" when I had a major relapse in Nov 12.
I had been experiencing abdomen pain I had thought it would pass as I got used to having these off and on although I haven't been on medication for 15 years. At day 5 I decided I had better get checked out at the hospital.
Bottom line was my small intestine had ruptured and I was going septic. I ended up with an ileostomy But after 4 months I am back running and cycling and ready to participate in the 1st Dopey Challenge Jan 2014 5km Thurs, 10km Fri, 21.1km Sat and 42.2km Sun.
There was a couple points that I wanted to make and that was don't be stubborn like I was if you feel pain get it looked at, as it won't always go away. My other point was that if it wasn't for my exercising I wouldn't not be hereto write in this forum. You don't have run marathons like myself but establish an exercise regime and it will pay you back twofold.
Thank you for reading this albeit long winded....
Bob

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Hi Bob, welcome to the forum! I agree, there are so many benefits from exercise, I feel like my body is thanking me every time I finish a workout. My mind, too. I feel happier and better able to deal with stress. I'm glad to hear you're able to run in spite of the challenges that have been thrown at you. And I admit I haven't heard of those races and giggled a little bit at the names! Running at Disney World sounds really fun!

Bob, wow,34 years! When did you get out?

I only have 7 years and was diagnosed in November. Unfortuntely I violate the new framework that determines whether or not somebody with IBD can be retained or not. My file hasn't gone to D Med Pol yet, but I'm prepared for the worst, hoping for the best. I feel great now that I'm on Remicade, but Remicade makes me undeployable.

Alli that is so unfortunate that your medical condition could get you removed from service. There aren't that many people who are dedicated and want to serve, so to disqualify someone who does and keeps fit seems crazy! I hope you're able to stay in.
Cat, you are right, there is a big "thank-you" from the bod after a workout! I always feel good in the morning after I've worked out and showered. Like the body is just going, "aaaaah".
Bob - you are one dedicated runner! I used to love to run but never got the chance to run any half-marathons, just a few 10ks. And definitely you are correct, exercising in any form helps the body heal itself and stay healthier. I wouldn't be where I am today without exercising regularly. Welcome!

Anymore, when I know I'll be around side doing an activity in the sun for a good while, I'll bring sun tan lotion. I'll use it after being outside for 15 minutes or so. Getting some sun exposure has its plusses, but being burnt hurts!

Hi Alliruns...I got out Nov 2010. I was to be released the year before under a medical release but it was revoked. Nov 2010 they did medically release me with 34 years 11 months which made no real sense at all. I work no win Gatineau since we moved buildings in January.
Running at Disney is great as you run through l 4 parks.
Next Tues is the appointment with the surgeon so I will find out when I get my ileostomy reversed as it is wreaking havoc with my body. I have had iron, potassium and magnesium deficiencies and associated medications for that.
In the meantime my wife & I are taking my 80 year old mother on a 12 day trip to Alaska/Denali Park where I intend to go ziplining.
That is my update for now...if anyone wishes to get in touch with me offline my email is rhsweetlove@rogers.com.

Just a general question re intensity of sport. Has anyone experienced differences in the effect on Crohn's with (i) doing sport that means you actually are sweating good vs. (ii) sport where you might be exhausted after a while but there is no sweating.?

It might just be me, but running faster (40min) for 8-10km is helping me much more than 2-3 hours of sport that doesn't get my sweating. At least in the long run over many months.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Alex Chris, yes, I feel like the more intense of a workout I do, the better I feel. If I'm lifting weights or doing a long bike ride with lots of hills, I sweat a lot and feel great afterwards. If I do something like yoga, I don't sweat. I feel okay when I'm done, but it's not the same. The more I push myself and make my body work, the better my body responds.

Just a general question re intensity of sport. Has anyone experienced differences in the effect on Crohn's with (i) doing sport that means you actually are sweating good vs. (ii) sport where you might be exhausted after a while but there is no sweating.?

It might just be me, but running faster (40min) for 8-10km is helping me much more than 2-3 hours of sport that doesn't get my sweating. At least in the long run over many months.
I have defaintly noticed this myself with exertion level and actual remission. When deployed to Iraq we usually did 8 hours of patrols (walking around in 80lbs' of gear) + 1 hour of weight lifting and then playing basketball at night. In Iraq I have 0 symptoms here at home I tend to be miserable. At first I thought it might be supplements I was taking, but since ruled that out. So in my mind it has to have something to do with extreme exertion level everyday. I have recently started to pick up my frequency and exertion level of exercise to prove this direct effect for me.

In my experience high intensity exercise has a very calming effect on my stomach/gut. As far as sweating goes, I do not find that is the determining factor. I don't sweat much at all during my heavy weightlifting sessions but feel significant relief regardless. If I ride my bike at a moderate pace for long enough to make me sweat I don't feel as good as if I sprint for a few miles.

hawkeye

Staff member
Thanks.

Did it in 35:39 (chip time) - better that I expected (I was thinking it would be closer to 45 or 50). Ran a couple of sets of 8 and 1's with my wide who also did the 5K then it was 5 and 1s. Placed 12/13 in my age category. Not bad considering
either things are in a flare or the Crohn's seems active.

Weather was great - cool and cloudy

Do people in other countries have to pay for 5k, 10k, halfs and fulls like we do in the US? Sometimes in the ball park of 100 USD. Usually it's scaled like 5k 25 dollars, Full 100 dollars. We get decent T shirts and it's usually for a charity, but I never see free runs in my area. Tough Mudders and other runs with obstacles can be really pricey for individual or team aswell. Last one we considered was 7 man team 260 miles over 48 hours it was 800 dollars for a team.

Well done hawkeye!! Great achievement.

I think most runs/events you do pay for here as well. (not that I have done any). As you say it mostly goes to charity and I think they have companies sponsor them to go towards running costs.

Do people in other countries have to pay for 5k, 10k, halfs and fulls like we do in the US? Sometimes in the ball park of 100 USD. Usually it's scaled like 5k 25 dollars, Full 100 dollars. We get decent T shirts and it's usually for a charity, but I never see free runs in my area. Tough Mudders and other runs with obstacles can be really pricey for individual or team aswell. Last one we considered was 7 man team 260 miles over 48 hours it was 800 dollars for a team.
I run lots of local races, they are cheaper and try to minimize the expensive races to once or twice a year. Many marathons now are well over $100.

Thanks.

Did it in 35:39 (chip time) - better that I expected (I was thinking it would be closer to 45 or 50). Ran a couple of sets of 8 and 1's with my wide who also did the 5K then it was 5 and 1s. Placed 12/13 in my age category. Not bad considering
either things are in a flare or the Crohn's seems active.

Weather was great - cool and cloudy
Well done!

Weather was cool and very Windy here. I didn't taper for today's race, my legs fatigued around 7km, the wind didn't help either. Crossed the line in 42:00 (10km)

hawkeye

Staff member
You have to pay for most of the races here - the race we ran today was $ 70 for the marathon, $65 for the half and $45 for the 5K or 10 K. If you registered early (before April 28, the fees were $10 lower).

In terms of swag they had a shirt (they generally ran small and they were not T-shirts but the sleeveless variety - there is an un politically correct term for these shirts) and an over the shoulder nylon bag with the logo of the main sponsor on it.

Every one received a medal - I'll post a pic of mine later when I get the spare camera running (our camera suffered a tumble to the floor that involved a kitchen counter, Thomas the Tank Engine placemat and a 2 year old - luckily we chose a good no fault warranty for it). The medals for the three big city marathons / runs / events in the Province fit together this year so that is a bit of an added incentive.

You have to pay for most of the races here - the race we ran today was $ 70 for the marathon, $65 for the half and $45 for the 5K or 10 K. If you registered early (before April 28, the fees were $10 lower).

In terms of swag they had a shirt (they generally ran small and they were not T-shirts but the sleeveless variety - there is an un politically correct term for these shirts) and an over the shoulder nylon bag with the logo of the main sponsor on it.

Every one received a medal - I'll post a pic of mine later when I get the spare camera running (our camera suffered a tumble to the floor that involved a kitchen counter, Thomas the Tank Engine placemat and a 2 year old - luckily we chose a good no fault warranty for it). The medals for the three big city marathons / runs / events in the Province fit together this year so that is a bit of an added incentive.
Shame about the shirts, one of my fav race shirts is my t- shirt from Freddy 3 years ago before I got posted to Kingston.

Also hate to break it to you, but very few runs are for charity.. Unless it specifically says it's for a charity, it's usually not.
I will not speculate on all race's in the US since I do not know, here where I live we have a running store Big Dog that puts on almost weekly 5k and 10ks and they are always for a charity. Yea the city held ones are not for charity that I have seen.

hawkeye

Staff member
I was quite surprised that I only finished a about a minute and 20 s after my wife - it was her first 5K after being off running for about 3 years

hawkeye

Staff member
Saw those on FB earlier today, still have lots of friends at CFB Gagetown. Very Fredericton! Miss that place!
Stopped at the Tim Horton's in Oromocto (by the Sobeys and Esso) for a coffee after the race and the line was almost out the door

Stopped at the Tim Horton's in Oromocto (by the Sobeys and Esso) for a coffee after the race and the line was almost out the door
Haha, typical Oromocto. Put a Tim Horton's near an Army base and it's a license to print money. There's an awesome coffee shop on Restigouche Rd in Oromocto called Sour Grape.. Much yummier than Timmy's.

Thinking about Oromocto reminds me of having to give my address over the phone for things and having to spell Oromocto 15 times before they got it right

You guys make me miss running all over again! I wasn't able to exercise over the weekend, as we went back to Wisconsin and I had no access to machines. Ugh. Got 1/2 hour in on the elliptical this morning before work, it felt really good to break a sweat. I find I feel best after an intense cardio workout that really makes me sweat. I'm usually pretty soaked by the end. If I do a more mild session it doesn't feel the same.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Mccindy, were you able to get your bicycle when you were in WI?

And I agree, I'm jealous of those who are able to run. I tried doing a 4-minute jog as my warm-up before weight lifting the other week. I felt okay during & immediately after, but the next day both my hips were quite painful. I used to be able to get away with 5 or 6 minutes of running without pain, but now I can't even do 4 mins without pain. Hmph! Things like that make me feel like my body is disintegrating rapidly. It's not a good feeling at all.

15km recovery run this morning and an hour flush out spin this evening. Training is still going well. Registered for a local raced called Beat Beethoven today. Google it, it's in the Canada's most unique races list.

I find with my lifting i can feel horrendous at the start of the session then by the end (2 hrs) feel like a new woman :) sweaty and pain/hot flush free :)

Cat- no, ufortunately I was not able to get my bike and I'm not happy about it! We had to bring the car back and not the truck as the hubs is going back soon to take his boat in for its "spring prep". So no, still just hitting the elliptical and taking walks at this point. And the weather is finally great, of course! Hopefully by the end of the month we'll have the bikes. On the plus side, the motorcycle is here now, so maybe some of that type of ride coming soon! :D

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Alli, I googled that race but couldn't find one in Canada - I found links for Beat Beethoven races in Utah, Colorado, and it looks like Alaska too. It seems to be one of those "concept" races that is picking up steam. There was a race in my city last weekend, I don't remember the name of it but it was a nighttime 5K and they had thumping nightclub type music and everybody got glowsticks and glow in the dark body paint and stuff like that. I heard the Color Run (where you wear all white and they throw colored powder stuff on you as you run) 5K is coming here later this year too. The Beethoven one sounds more fun and less gimmicky than the nightclub one or the Color run. I live right near where the start/finish was for the nightclub 5K thing, and I could hear the music from my house even with the doors & windows all closed. So I'm a bit biased against overly gimmicky races like that one! I'd way rather Beethoven be blasted through my neighborhood than nightclub music. :p

Mccindy, I'm partially fascinated and partially terrified of motorcycles! On one hand it sounds really cool to ride around on a motorcycle, and on the other hand I'm sure I'd fall off and die. :p I don't like going fast on that type of thing. My father-in-law has a 4-wheeler, and my hubby took me for a ride on it one day. I held on for dear life, it felt like we were going SO fast and it was quite frightening... then I looked at the speedometer, and we were only going like 9 mph. :p Ha ha! So, it sounds fun, but also totally not my thing. I'm way too chicken to go faster than 9 mph apparently. ;)

hawkeye

Staff member
Ali - The Beat Beethoven sounded familiar - I googled and found the one in K-Town and then found the one they had in Fredericton in 2011 (Symphony NB)

Cat - the local airport (YSJ) did a 5K and 10K here a couple of weekends ago shortly after dusk that was lit with the runway lights. It was their 3rd annual, the first two were run in mid morning between flights - I ran it a couple of years ago.

Met with the GI today - CT Scan did not show much in terms of inflammation and there is no change in the stricture from 2010 so that is good - no surgery required now. The bloodwork showed some inflammation but not enough to ramp things up to a biologic. We are taking a status quo approach - not even enough inflammation for prednisone, I go back in September and will keep getting the bloods done every 2 months for the aza.

I think I am going to try to back off from the running for a week and try to rest up there is some stuff I'd like to get done around the house and yard and don't want to burn the candle at both ends.

Hwakeye, sounds like good news. I also think its not a bad idea to give the running a miss for a week. You can see if you feel better, worse or the same without running.

I'm looking forwarrd to going to the gym on Friday. I seriously appriciate my four day weeks. It feels so good to have two days left on a weds. If I get a permanent job I'm defo guna join another gym and go more often again :)

Cat - I used to be absolutely terrified of motorcycles. Then my hubs talked me into taking a ride. I was so scared at first I begged him to stop, but he just kept on going! When I relaxed I realized how much fun it really was. I ALWAYS wear my helmet though, working in the medical field I've seen too many head injuries to not wear one. I've been on his four-wheeler too and I'll say that I think a four-wheeler at nine miles an hour is scarier than a motorcyle at 55! We also always wear jeans and long sleeves and motorcycle boots. It gives me the shivers to see some girl on a cycle in shorts, flip-flops and a halter top with no helmet.... death wish! I like my skin the way it is, road rash is horrible.

So, long story short, just had 4th resection end of December.. bla bla bla, had Crohn since 1999.
You name it I have been on it, there is not a medicine made I have not been on.
So just had my first colonoscopy after loosing yet another foot of my intestines.. I was so "excited" and asked the my GI how my amazing new intestines looked? Well, in three months my freaking Crohns is back where it always comes back. Right where my small meets my large and I am put back together I have 4 ulcers- 5 mm each in size..
So yep I am mad, I have never done this online forum deal before, but I am out of options. Oh did I mention, I have been on Cimzia for over a year and continued with my shots right after I got out of surgery.. SO.. drama..and more blah blah blah, My Crohns is classified as severe.. I am 32. I have two kid, I am blessed and someone always has it worse..
The reason I write is.. HAS ANYONE GONE INTO FULL remission BY ONLY RUNNING? / not diet change, meds... JUST RUNNING ALONE?
I used to run I have completed a marathon and 9 half marathons.
SO, I after finding out my Crohns came back already I am not killing my body with the Cimzia shots if it is not working. I AM GOING TO RUN, my doctor says that this will not work alone, however the best I ever have been with my Crohns was when I ran 5 miles everyday...

So, long story short, just had 4th resection end of December.. bla bla bla, had Crohn since 1999.
You name it I have been on it, there is not a medicine made I have not been on.
So just had my first colonoscopy after loosing yet another foot of my intestines.. I was so "excited" and asked the my GI how my amazing new intestines looked? Well, in three months my freaking Crohns is back where it always comes back. Right where my small meets my large and I am put back together I have 4 ulcers- 5 mm each in size..
So yep I am mad, I have never done this online forum deal before, but I am out of options. Oh did I mention, I have been on Cimzia for over a year and continued with my shots right after I got out of surgery.. SO.. drama..and more blah blah blah, My Crohns is classified as severe.. I am 32. I have two kid, I am blessed and someone always has it worse..
The reason I write is.. HAS ANYONE GONE INTO FULL remission BY ONLY RUNNING? / not diet change, meds... JUST RUNNING ALONE?
I used to run I have completed a marathon and 9 half marathons.
SO, I after finding out my Crohns came back already I am not killing my body with the Cimzia shots if it is not working. I AM GOING TO RUN, my doctor says that this will not work alone, however the best I ever have been with my Crohns was when I ran 5 miles everyday...
I'm a marathoner, when my Crohn's is flaring, running makes it worse. Sometimes running even triggers symptoms, last night did speed workout and then spent the whole night on the toilet. Cycling seems to be easier on my body.

Planning to get running over the summer when I get over this flair!

Anyone ever had any problems taking protein shakes or creatine?

Get back to me! Thanks,
Liam

Thanks for getting back to me. Why is that? Crohns related?
Does creatine not work for long distances

Creatine is generally thought of as a strength training supplement, it helps produce ATP which fuels you muscles for about 20 seconds of intense exercise. Long distance running will burn carbs, fats and oxygen for sustained excerise. It also helps your muscle's maintain water given you are fuller look and lead to some weight gain, due to extra water storage.

Since I read this I decided to read a few articles before posting and their is some evidence that Creatine can keep Lactic Acid build up down and thus be beneficial to long distance runners. Texas A&M did it with 40 cyclists.

In the end I do not know any long distant runners that use creatine to improve their run.

Like anything it is possible that creatine or the specific brand you choose could aggravate your crohns.

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
I also have been considering running. Can anyone offer any suggestions to me. I've never been a runner, I don't want to train for a marathon or anything. I just want to get comfortable with the idea of running.

I have started and stopped the Couch to 5k numerous times because I found it boring after the fourth week or so being on a treadmill. I want to give running outdoors a shot. I'm kind of nervous about it though and I don't know if I should be.

I just don't really know what to be mindful of or how to properly prepare, especially if there is any difference in running habits because I have crohn's. I have no clue what I'm doing lol.

I managed to keep up with my daily exercise and recently finished Jillian Michael's 30 day shred (well actually did 27 days - i had a family situation interrupt my routine). Looking for a new challenge.

amrycrohns;Long distance running will burn carbs said:
Long distance running also eats muscle - taking fast twitch fibres away and leaving slow twitch fibres. Sprinting produces fast twitch fibres and builds muscle :)

hawkeye

Staff member
Chicago - buy good shoes, some running stores will fit you and analyize your gait. Not sure if there are any other apps besides the Couch to K. I followed a program in the book Running to Start to Finish by John Stanton where you start running for a minute then walk for a minute and the run times keep increasing. Some of the running stores (Running Room is the big one here) have learn to run clinics

hawkeye

Staff member
Wound up in the ER last night with bloody diarrhea, no blockage or perforation in the X-Ray, ESR was elevated - no sure if I ate something that set things off or if its the flare/active disease or both. Great way to spend my Saturday night on the long holiday weekend.

I also have been considering running. Can anyone offer any suggestions to me. I've never been a runner, I don't want to train for a marathon or anything. I just want to get comfortable with the idea of running.

I have started and stopped the Couch to 5k numerous times because I found it boring after the fourth week or so being on a treadmill. I want to give running outdoors a shot. I'm kind of nervous about it though and I don't know if I should be.

I just don't really know what to be mindful of or how to properly prepare, especially if there is any difference in running habits because I have crohn's. I have no clue what I'm doing lol.

I managed to keep up with my daily exercise and recently finished Jillian Michael's 30 day shred (well actually did 27 days - i had a family situation interrupt my routine). Looking for a new challenge.
Ditto to what Hawkeye said.

Also, you may want to plan your routes where you know there will be washrooms. I have resigned myself to the fact that sometimes there are going to be days where my body is just not going to cooperate.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Chicago, I'm not a runner, but I have ridden the stationary bike all winter and I completely understand getting bored with it! I've tried watching DVDs and playing video games while I ride, but it's just not the same as getting outside. Fortunately, now that the weather is nice, I've been taking lots of bike rides outside and it's SO much better. It's never boring getting outside for a ride. I don't really have any advice for you, just commiseration about being bored working out inside!

Hawkeye, I hope you feel better soon!

hawkeye

Staff member
Thanks. Feeling tired today - went to the ER last night at 10 pm and got out at 3 this morning. Took a nap this afternoon, had a party for our little guy who is 2 next week.

What would a Fitness and Exercise support group be without cake

Attachments

Last edited:
Felt like crap this morning. Delayed my run until afternoon, I was slow and sluggish, got through it though, 22km. Total 80km for the week.
Registered for Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon, 20 Oct. I was suppose to run this one 2 years ago, but I kept getting sick and didn 't get enough training in, so I ended up running the half. Hoping things continue to go well until the race.

So I did my three hours of Zumba on Saturday - it went really well and was actually great fun.
Luckily I ended up in a hot tub in the evening after a night out so my muscles seem to have escaped lightly. Plus thousands were raised for Crohn's and Colitis UK :dance:

Chicago - another thing to remember is that running outside is different than running on a treadmill. You do use more muscles, differently than with treadmill running. It's best if you start slowly, doing short distances, and stretch plenty after each run. Gradually increase distance and speed as you tolerate. Your muscles will likely be quite sore after the first few runs. Don't push much, but give your muscles a day to recover if you do get too sore. Massages will help with that too. In a couple of weeks you should be running well!

hawkeye

Staff member
Registered for Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon, 20 Oct. I was suppose to run this one 2 years ago, but I kept getting sick and didn 't get enough training in, so I ended up running the half. Hoping things continue to go well until the race.
Good luck. There are usually a few from here that run the Toronto Marathon.

Update - I think my Saturday night ER trip may have been a gastro bug. My little guy is sick - the advantages of having a leather couch.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Hawkeye, are you and your little boy feeling better? I have something bacterial, they think salmonella or something like that. I went to the doctor and she said there are a lot of stomach bugs going around (she had one herself, I was afraid she was going to infect me!). I haven't been able to work out this week due to feeling so lousy. Now I'm on Cipro and I'm not supposed to do anything strenuous while I'm on it or I could rupture a tendon, so I can't go to the gym for at least another week. Has anyone else exercised while on Cipro? I'm thinking I could probably still ride my bike and do yoga, but I'll probably avoid the weights. Just wondering what I can & can't get away with.

hawkeye

Staff member
He's feeling better and I am too. He got sick Monday night and was home from daycare Tuesday and Wednesday. I worked from home Tuesday and called in my parents for reinforcements on Wednesday. He went to daycare on Thursday after the diarrhea cleared and went to daycare again on Friday.

They have an exclusion rule at the daycare that the child has to be diarrhea free for 24 hours before they go back. I guess things can spread easy with kids putting toys in their mouths, sharing food and the like.

My wife has something today, but has chills and joint aches which I didn't have. It's been a busy couple of weekends with the 5K 2 weekends ago and the long weekend and his birthday party last weekend. It was nice to not have anything pressing to do this weekend.

I followed up with my GI, the hospital faxed him after my trip to the ER on Saturday, about the gastro bug. The more I think of it, it was likely some sort of a stomach bug that I had last weekend as the bloody D just came and went.

I read about your week in the other thread, keep up posted on how the Cipro goes.

hawkeye

Staff member
Haven't run in a while. Had a good workout tonight for almost 2 hours in the yard doing some gardening

Hello 💐. I had years of managing my Crohn's very well. Then the last 2 1/2 years have been a roller coaster ride & Not in a fun way. But I feel like I'm improving again a little by little. 🎉Yippee. ⭐🎉
I found cycling ( gentle cycling - not races around France lol ) has been good. This has only been possible due to a seat called an 'EASY SEAT' - ( I had tried padded & different styles of saddle :-( not possible as during & after pain & diss comfort ) . It has 2 pads which are separated (adjustable to suit you ) they move individually & it takes all the pressure off . It is fabulous!!!! I'm no sporty lady but apparently tri-athletes use them. So I reckon that makes me a fit bird haa haa.
They aren't crazy money & I got mine from eBay. Now on good days I can cycle with family & friends. I hope this helps somebody as its helped me.
Suzette 🌹

I raced again today. Wasn't sure how it was going to go, I wasn't feeling great earlier in the week. Surprisingly it went really well!!! I didn't even have my usual post-race cramps!

Alli - so glad to hear you were able to enjoy a run again! After taking the weekend off I got on the elliptical this morning and it felt so darn good. I almost can't wait to get back on this afternoon! I envy you your running, I always did love to run and really miss it. I'm very happy for you that it's going well again.

LMV, it's always so fun to get new workout clothes! How did the workout go?

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I haven't been to the beach in forever either! I think we went once last year. We don't go to the beach very often because my hubby has a very fair complexion, and he sunburns ridiculously easily. I swear, it seems like it's impossible for him to get a tan, he just goes from pale to burned. :p

I used to have a friend like that! She was a redhead and her skin went from white to burned and then back to white. Never tanned a bit. I'm fair but I don't burn too easily and I can tan. but my husband isn't a fan of the beach because he gets bored. He'd rather go fishing or something that has action.

Do you live far from the Sea Mccindy?

The UK being small, and fairly long and thin you are never really very far from the sea. They say the furthest is 70-80 miles. We r fairly far relatively speaking so we don't go very much. Say about 50miles directly but going by roads it will be about 60 miles. We usually go near Bournemouth which is where we like and that is about 70 miles.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
LMV, McCindy and I both live in the upper midwest - in other words, northern central part of the US. So sadly neither of us is close to the sea at all! It's probably at least 1000 miles in either direction. :p We do have lots of lakes around here, so if I go to the beach I either go to a lake or a pond. I've been to both coasts, they're very nice, but they're nowhere near Wisconsin nor Minnesota. :(

Cindy, my hubby is "almost" a redhead. His hair on his head is brown, but if he grows out his beard, that hair is red! It's kind of funny. He seems to have one red hair in one eyebrow too, I notice it all the time and it bugs me, I want to pluck it out. :p

LMV, McCindy and I both live in the upper midwest - in other words, northern central part of the US. So sadly neither of us is close to the sea at all! It's probably at least 1000 miles in either direction. :p We do have lots of lakes around here, so if I go to the beach I either go to a lake or a pond. I've been to both coasts, they're very nice, but they're nowhere near Wisconsin nor Minnesota. :(

Cindy, my hubby is "almost" a redhead. His hair on his head is brown, but if he grows out his beard, that hair is red! It's kind of funny. He seems to have one red hair in one eyebrow too, I notice it all the time and it bugs me, I want to pluck it out. :p
Lake beaches are not the same as the ocean! I miss the ocean, but I'm not a beach person. Newfoundland doesn't have many beaches anyway, just rocky shorelines.

LMV -Yes, Minnesota is a long, long way from the ocean! I've been to both of them, Pacific and Atlantic, but not for a long time. There are nice sand beaches along some of the lakes around here. Minnesota literally is full of lakes and Wisconsin has many as well, so there's no shortage of waterfront.
Alli - I do think that rocky shorelines can be quite beautiful as well. I've never been to Newfoundland but I've seen pictures and it is a lovely place.

Cat, have you ever tried to pluck it just to see what happens? :D

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Cindy, he'd probably divorce me if I tried to pluck it! :p I have tried to pluck scraggly hairs from his eyebrows before (before the red hair made its appearance), and he hated that - he said it really hurt! I pluck my brows and it doesn't hurt all that much, you'd think a big tough guy would be able to handle it, but no. ;) Tweezers and hubby do not mix.

Yeah, there are a lot of nice lakes here in WI. The lakes in the city are kind of gross and polluted, but if you get out of the city you can find nicer, cleaner lakes. My aunt & uncle sometimes rent a summer home out in the boonies, and there's a little lake out there that's really nice for swimming. I take my kayak out in local city creeks but I wouldn't swim in them - we see all sorts of garbage (old tires, shopping carts, broken glass, etc) in the creeks & the lakes.

Ew, that is kind of yucky. And what a shame! Why do people insist on polluting our waterways.

I'm laughing at the picture of your husband freaking out over a little plucked hair! LOL I get my eyebrows waxed every six weeks or so, imagine how he would handle something like that!

Had a beast training weekend. Did a 161km ride yesterday through some pretty hilly territory.. Frontenac prov park for those familiar with Ontario. Then 24km run this morning. Legs are officially tired!

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Wow, you rock, Alli! I'm sure your legs are very tired after all that! Are your guts doing okay after all that? What are you training for, any specific race?

I had a busy weekend too (although not nearly as intense as Alli's was). Took long walks with the dog both days, did hours of gardening yesterday and mostly stuff around the house today, plus hit the gym for weights. Got a lot of stuff done and feel good, although my arms are pretty tired now.

I'm running Toronto Waterfront Marathon in Oct. my guts kind of bothered me on the run, but I didn't get The D today, so I'm grateful. My fistulas have been angry so I used men's chamois cream on the ride (has a numbing agent), it was brilliant on my part.

I think gardening counts as an additional strength workout!

just wondering, had surgery 3-4 mouths ago, went running for the first time did 3-4 klicks and done a hole day of absailing, anyone ever been that active or more after surgery, and does any one think im at risk?

Alli, you are a rock star! Your bod must be feeling pretty darn good. Good idea about the cream, that numbing agent must really have helped! Are you going to try a triathlon or anything, or just mixing up the workouts?

Stafford - I'd say go with what your body tells you. If you are reintroducing exercise, take it slowly and let yourself adapt. But if things feel good the day or two after you do exercise, then keep on going! 3-4 months is a good amount of healing time. Usually you can begin to slowly reintroduce after six weeks to 2 months.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Alli, I agree, gardening can definitely be a workout all by itself! I took a hacksaw and manually sawed a bunch more branches off my lilac bush (it's like the hugest lilac bush ever) and that was a really good arm workout. I also transplanted a bunch of lilies because they were starting to crowd my sad pathetic little vegetable garden. Between the digging and the sawing, my arms were totally feeling the burn.

What's chamois cream? I usually slather on some calmoseptine before doing any type of exercise - it has menthol which is somewhat calming & numbing. I forgot to put calmo on before a gym session last week and I pretty much immediately started chafing back there! I will never forget to apply calmo again, yikes.

hawkeye

Staff member
Went to the GP today about the weight loss (20 lbs since December) and the general run down feeling. Going for bloodwork later this week to check the thyroid, B12, glucose and a urea breath test.

Last edited:
Alli, I agree, gardening can definitely be a workout all by itself! I took a hacksaw and manually sawed a bunch more branches off my lilac bush (it's like the hugest lilac bush ever) and that was a really good arm workout. I also transplanted a bunch of lilies because they were starting to crowd my sad pathetic little vegetable garden. Between the digging and the sawing, my arms were totally feeling the burn.

What's chamois cream? I usually slather on some calmoseptine before doing any type of exercise - it has menthol which is somewhat calming & numbing. I forgot to put calmo on before a gym session last week and I pretty much immediately started chafing back there! I will never forget to apply calmo again, yikes.
Chamois cream is designed to prevent saddle sores while cycling. It's safe to out on open saddle sores, so I assume safe to put on fistulas too.

Kingston has a ton of lilac bushes, they grow wild on the outskirts of my subdivision, they are like lilac trees.