• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Weight Gain

So since my ileostomy I've gained 5 pounds. I'm pretty happy with that although I know I would have at least doubled that had I not had any complications. Anyways, I was wondering how the rest of ya'll are coming weight wise.

I left the hospital in April at about 145 to 150 lbs. This morning I weighed 167 lbs, close to my normal weight.

When I first got home and looked in the mirror, I hardly recognized myself. I was so gaunt and white as a sheet.

Now, putting on 20 lbs is not easy! (well, maybe for some folks) It took some serious eating and snacking. Now I'm trying hard to return to a normal diet and cut out the junk.

Nyx

I've gained about 40lbs since my surgery. I need to stop eating now...lol I was 120lbs when I came out of the hospital and I'm around 160lbs now. Seems I've gained it all in my belly too...I guess I need to start exercising seriously again...sigh. Such is life when you're 'of an age'! lol

Prior to surgery they weight you and I was 173 lbs. Now two weeks later I weight 157 and trying to gain weight.
Before I went in I tried gaining weight in anticipation for the weight drop and I gained 13 lbs (from 160 to 173) as part of my "get ready for surgery'

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
So since my ileostomy I've gained 5 pounds. I'm pretty happy with that although I know I would have at least doubled that had I not had any complications. Anyways, I was wondering how the rest of ya'll are coming weight wise.

:eek: hey Jeff, come to my house, I promise you will never lose a pound again :D. Hard to lose weight, easy for me to gain.. just follow me.

So glad things are looking up!:wink:

I started this ordeal at 187 my sophomore year of high school. Surgery left me at 158 and brittle :) I managed to get up to 190 2 years later only to drop to 175 later that same year. I stayed at 180 for a couple years until I busted it, working out and got up to 195, to which I lost over 4 months of not lifting. Last winter I surged yet again (mainly because my intestines decided to absorb some proteins for once-go figure!), getting up to 205 and NOW I'm looking up 168, not feeling too great, as I lost in all in a little over 2 weeks.

Well I've always been hovering around 120 - 125 pounds when I became ill at my lowest I was around 95, since the surgery in april the weight is slowly coming back and is now 106 so i'm not complaining!
My main issue is my BMI, I love my height but sometimes wish I was smaller just so having an ideal BMI was easier to achieve lol

I had my ileocolectomy in Feb of this year. Prior to surgery I was 143 and after the surgery I was weighing 120. Right now, 5 months later, I weigh 123. I, too, thought I would gain at least some more of the weight back but the doctors say they are happy with my weight right now. So, I guess I will be happy with it too! I am having some issues after the surgery so I think that's some of the reason for me to not really gain much. I would though honestly like to gain alittle so when I get sick, I have a few to lose that wouldn't hurt me.

Nyx

I guess I should have mentioned that all my weight piled on in the past month...so 7 months post-op....sigh

I'm 5' 4" and I my happy weight is around 120-125. Before my surgery i had dropped to about 110-115 for a year or so because of illness and not being able to absorb nutrients. In march I had gotten down to 101. Since my surgery in April, I am back to around 120 again. I used the weight gain as an excuses to get new clothes. :) I'm kind of happy right around here so I hope i am done now. I feel great!

I had surgery in May - and at that time I was 165 - now I am down to 134 and I look so sickly. I've not put on any weight at all, and have no desire to eat. Most people want to lose the weight, and here I am trying to gain a healthy weight back - but it seems like it's taking forever to get a few pounds back. I'd be happy with gaining at least 10 pds back. I am just not absorbing the nutrition like I was before surgery.... :(

I gained 5 lbs in the past 3 weeks since my surgery. I am still underweight but I dont want to gain to much weight... I am just so hungry all the time and I can eat foods I did not touch for 15 years!!!

Over the past four weeks I've gained about 9 pounds but I haven't weighed in since last Tuesday. Tomorrow is my next weigh day so we'll see. I still have 30 pounds to go to get to my ideal weight.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hey Jeff, such a coincidence I need to lose that much, wanna trade?:lol2: Problem is you are going to crave sugar free popcicles lol.