• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What did you eat today?

Hi Everyone, I'm always curious as to what other people eat with Ibd. I work with a lady that eats lots of stuff I could never eat and vice versa. Today for me, breakfast was 2 coffee and a protein shake. Lunch was leftover roast pork and potato, snack was banana, and dinner was chicken, rice, and juicer.

Today for lunch, I went to a restaurant that accommodates to any food allergies. I had pesto captavvi with fusuli noodles minus tomato, cream and parmesan. I had gluten free pretzels. I had chicken, brown rice and hard boiled eggs for dinner.

Today for lunch, I went to a restaurant that accommodates to any food allergies. I had pesto captavvi with fusuli noodles minus tomato, cream and parmesan. I had gluten free pretzels. I had chicken, brown rice and hard boiled eggs for dinner.

That sounds lovely, making me hungry!

scottsma

I tend to stick to the same diet daily.Today I had toast and jam (jelly) for b/fast and for lunch I had a peeled and sliced apple,hard cheese (cheddar) and a handful of crisps (chips) and a bio yoghurt.Might have porridge or cereal early evening and a handful of raw nuts (well chewed) and some grapes.And a few squares of chocolate.

Corn Flakes and toast for breakfast. I had some chicken for lunch, just by itself as I didn't have anything else. I made some beef stew (with mushrooms, peppers, garlic, onion, carrots and parsnips) that I had for dinner along with my favourite ingredient: Azathioprine. And then a strawberry yogurt. Yum.

I eat anything really, though I know potatoes make things a little worse.

So far a protein/vitamin powder mixed with one cup of water and a banana. And as par for the course of late....not looking good. Last night I had to meet family at a restaurant for supper and after looking through the menu I decided to pass eating anything. It just isn't worth the pain right now. :( I'm sitting at my desk right now with my heating pad from the little I have eaten today as it is.

scottsma

I forgot to mention that I also have a high nutrition powder and chia seeds mixed with milk,to supplement what would be classed as a poor diet.Also fish oil,acidopholus,multi-vit and digestive enzyme.Works for me ok.

I'm just putting it out there, that I had a mocha, hot cross bun. It was amazing and didn't make me ill ^_^ so that's always a positive.

*edit - I love coffee, but almost always makes me ill, so having a coffee-flavoured something, is always a bonus.

scottsma

I'm just putting it out there, that I had a mocha, hot cross bun. It was amazing and didn't make me ill ^_^ so that's always a positive.

*edit - I love coffee, but almost always makes me ill, so having a coffee-flavoured something, is always a bonus.
It's always good to enjoy food and it's a bonus when the bad stuff doesn't happen.I love coffee flavoured icecream and chocolate....Yum.

My normal coffee in the morning (to poop), sour dough bread with rosemary and salt with olive oil and balsamic for dipping, and just had a bacon sandwich for dinner. Yesterday i had a steak soba from wagamama and that was it allday. So i would say my days can be quite varied. Im also not one for snacking at all.

Breakfast: 1/2 cup corn flakes with 1/8 banana and lactose free 2% milk
Lunch: Carrot Ginger Cashew soup YUM 1/2 cup and two saltine crackers
Snack: Chocolate Ensure
Dinner: Two tablespoons egg salad with 6 mini pretzels

It was too much today I think.....lots of pain and cramping now....sigh...

Breakfast: 1/2 cup corn flakes with 1/8 banana and lactose free 2% milk
Lunch: Carrot Ginger Cashew soup YUM 1/2 cup and two saltine crackers
Snack: Chocolate Ensure
Dinner: Two tablespoons egg salad with 6 mini pretzels

It was too much today I think.....lots of pain and cramping now....sigh...
Best to you

Lets see, today I've had: cashews, spinach, oranges, honey, spring roll,ham, turkey, dark chocolate, rice cakes, & eggs.

Lets see, today I've had: cashews, spinach, oranges, honey, spring roll,ham, turkey, dark chocolate, rice cakes, & eggs.
Yum that sounds good. I recently read that cashews are the least offensive nut to the colon. Which is good since I like them....well eventually.

I'm hooked on my Carrot, Ginger and Cashew soup by Pacific company I think. It's amazing I get a 1/2 cup as a meal right now.

cmack

Staff member
I had a large banana, for breakfast. A small bowl of Kashi "strawberry fields" organic cereal as a snack. 1 can of vegetable soup with 1/2 a cup sliced black olives for lunch. An apple for a snack in the afternoon. Dinner will be Amy's organic mushroom soup with 1/2 cup of chickpeas and a little hot sauce added. Love me my Frank's hot sauce! I think tomorrow is a smoothie for breakfast. I didn't have time this morning to get my smoothie on.

I had a large banana, for breakfast. A small bowl of Kashi "strawberry fields" organic cereal as a snack. 1 can of vegetable soup with 1/2 a cup sliced black olives for lunch. An apple for a snack in the afternoon. Dinner will be Amy's organic mushroom soup with 1/2 cup of chickpeas and a little hot sauce added. Love me my Frank's hot sauce! I think tomorrow is a smoothie for breakfast. I didn't have time this morning to get my smoothie on.
I could DRINK franks hot sauce. That stuffs amazing. :D

Breakfast I had three eggs gluten free toast with jelly, and ensure enlive drink. Lunch tuna with fresh parsley and ensure enlive. Dinner gluten free spaghetti and gluten free sauce and gluten free roll and another ensure enlive drink. And a few cups of ice cream in between times. My nutrition guy wanted me to try gluten free

Bufford

Boiled egg for breakfast, one piece of toast with honey and a banana

Lunch Chicken noodle soup and a peeled apple

Tonite a small portion of pork ribs (2-3 ribs) with rice.

Late night egg salad sanwhich.

cmack

Staff member
Hi Bufford,

I wish I could eat pork. No dice though! Oh well. I like vegetables so I guess that's a good thing as I am 95% vegetarian since a year ago. The change in diet made me feel a lot better! I can still have cheese once in a while so that's cool.

Bufford

Pork is one of those foods I eat in moderation. Last night I managed to eat only 1 and a half ribs. One more portion of it to finish off tonight, and will be glad its gone. Going to shift gears and cook up a chicken, much easier to digest.

I miss pork makes me violently ill.

I had a German Pancake last night and paid for it all night.... sigh.

Last edited:
Breakfast: bowl of fruit (coconut, banana, apple, melon, blueberries) pomegranate and blood orange juice. Sencha green tea, fresh turmeric and ginger tea.

Lunch: Root vegetable tagine (lots of veg stew including coconut, hummus and lentils to bulk up). Salad (endive, arugala, rocket, frisee, fennel, grated carrot, capers, beetroot, spirulina, sprouted lentils)

Snack: apple, carrot, fennel, 2 squares 100% chocolate, mulberries

Dinner: Courgette spaghetti with tagine sauce (from lunch), marinaded haddock,

cmack

Staff member
I had organic vegetable soup with sliced black olives(from Europe) and 1/2 cup chickpeas (also from Europe). That was dinner. The European standards for pesticide levels in food has us all, in the USA and Canada beat! They figured out that it is not so good to eat that stuff. So did I. I eat foods from Europe as much as I eat organic from domestic sources or our family garden.

That does sound good. I had soup too. Organic Carrot, Ginger and Cashew with Jasmine rice. My go to favorite. Ginger is suppose to reduce inflammation so my body is craving it.

I'm into my smoothies at the moment just throw what I feel like in some almond milk or a fortisip or ensure some nut butter avocado spinach etc.. whatever i feel like and blitz it nice and yumy and fills me up as well.

Breakfast: 2 raw organic duck egg yolks beaten into foam with maple syrup (raw egg yolk a great natural source of phosphadylcholine)

A handful of fresh blended coconut flesh (fibre for microbiome, good source of vits and minerals including potassium and magnesium) with blueberries.

sencha & jasmine dragon pearl tea (anti cancer, see eatobeat.com) with lemon and grated fresh ginger .

Breakfast: 2 raw organic duck egg yolks beaten into foam with maple syrup (raw egg yolk a great natural source of phosphadylcholine)

A handful of fresh blended coconut flesh (fibre for microbiome, good source of vits and minerals including potassium and magnesium) with blueberries.

sencha & jasmine dragon pearl tea (anti cancer, see eatobeat.com) with lemon and grated fresh ginger .
This sounds like a good pancake to me yum.

I'm risking oatmeal this morning wish me luck a little over my 2 grams of fiber. Only 3 so hoping it won't punish me later.

cmack

Staff member
I'm into my smoothies at the moment just throw what I feel like in some almond milk or a fortisip or ensure some nut butter avocado spinach etc.. whatever i feel like and blitz it nice and yumy and fills me up as well.
I'm glad to hear that you are eating healthy foods buddy. Keep it up you will notice a difference. Smoothies are good. I have them often.

I'm on a super tight budget right now, so no fancy stuff.
Breakfast was homemade waffles with raspberries I froze from my garden.
Lunch was a salad and homemade spring rolls.
Dinner is on the stove, a big pot of veggie soup.
For snacks I have homemade baking, like cookies or cinnamon buns.

cmack

Staff member
I just had a smoothie with a Gala apple, ground organic brown flax seed (2Tbsp), 3 walnuts and 1/2 a cup of organic baby spinach with about 3/4 cup of organic soy milk. Tasted pretty good!

I just had a smoothie with a Gala apple, ground organic brown flax seed (2Tbsp), 3 walnuts and 1/2 a cup of organic baby spinach with about 3/4 cup of organic soy milk. Tasted pretty good!
That sounds really good going to try it for sure.

Breakfast: homemade prebiotic cereal (plantain, coconut shreds, all sorts of dried baked veggies, and nuts), pomegranate and fresh orange juice.

Lunch: Pumpkin spaghetti with homemade tomato sauce, 2 slices wild alaskan smoked salmon, standard salad with about 15 ingredients in it. Small slice of Jarlsberg cheese (i fingersworth),

Snack; 20gms 100% chocolate, 1 date, some mulberries.

cmack

Staff member
Breakfast: homemade prebiotic cereal (plantain, coconut shreds, all sorts of dried baked veggies, and nuts), pomegranate and fresh orange juice.

Lunch: Pumpkin spaghetti with homemade tomato sauce, 2 slices wild alaskan smoked salmon, standard salad with about 15 ingredients in it. Small slice of Jarlsberg cheese (i fingersworth),

Snack; 20gms 100% chocolate, 1 date, some mulberries.
If everybody ate as healthy as you we would all be better off. You seem to have a very healthy diet.

A lot of these foods I would not be able to tolerate, too much finer is tricky for me, raw veggies can be tough, any roughage. Is this because of where me crohns is at? I have it right where the small meets the large. A girl at work has crohns in large bowel and eats everything I can't.

cmack

Staff member
I gave this advice to a friend,

Look up nutritionfacts.org My GP suggested it to me. Look on the site about glyphosate. Commonly known as roundup, an herbicide(but also a very powerful antibiotic that kills off beneficial bacteria that protect our insides). It is in our foods that are GMO, meaning, genetically modified organism. The crops are genetically modified so they are resistant to glyphosate, so when the crops are sprayed the weeds die and the crops survive. The problem is the food crops absorb the glyphosate as well as the weeds do! It remains in them all the way to the supermarket, or the animal feed. The animals eat a ton of food so it becomes more concentrated in them, especially in the fat. They are full of glyphosate and this stuff causes leaky gut syndrome, which in turn leads to abscess and fistula problems. The issue with this stuff in our food is the higher you go on the food chain, (meat) the more concentrated the levels become and therefore it causes worse troubles than if you were to eat broccoli for instance. You might want to think about probiotics. I take VSL#3 it is available at the pharmacy here in Canada OTC. My doctor recommended it and told me it is the best one on the market. Make sure to check with your doctor or pharmacist before taking VSL#3. It made a world of difference for me. As my doctor put it "It gives your guts a new protective lining." If you get the VSL be sure that it has been kept cold as it has live bacterial cultures which will die off if left at room temperature. Mine comes in a cooler to the pharmacy where I pick it up.

Hope you folks read this, it really helped me to change my diet.

All the best to all of you,

cmack

Yeah I only ate game meat I tried giving up ed meat but found that my system needed it I also had trouble with lamb for some reason I onl eat organic free range chicken
Veggies were good for me before this last flare up.

Well I am new memeber here as I have just received my diagnosis today. Happy to finally know what it is!

Food I had:

Steak, kale, bok choy, cheese, ghee, brocoli (and the white one too). All in all eating healthy as I am alsi battling fatty liver disease as a skinny dude.

I just had toast for breakfast, but a co-worker gave me a huge gourmet caramel apple before noon. I made the mistake of slicing off a taste and then I couldn't quit nibbling on it all day! It was a pitiful site. I ate the whole damn thing.

I had my usual shakology shake for breakfast with a coffee. My morning snack today is a banana, lunch is a chicken sandwich, Afternoon snack is a piece of homemade banana bread.

scottsma

Today so far (it's 3-15pm) I had porridge oats with Chia seeds and sultanas for breakfast and for lunch, an apple,a small chunk of hard cheese and a small handful of crisps (potato chips) and a cup of organic matcha green tea with a small spoonful of honey.I will be grazing later on raw nuts,yoghurt,banana and a few squares of chocolate.I rarely eat meat,bread , cakes or veggies.

Well I am new memeber here as I have just received my diagnosis today. Happy to finally know what it is!

Food I had:

Steak, kale, bok choy, cheese, ghee, brocoli (and the white one too). All in all eating healthy as I am alsi battling fatty liver disease as a skinny dude.
Welcome, gosh I miss broccoli it's a no go for me. It is great you can still eat good. Sorry to hear about the fatty liver disease but it can be reversed from what I had read with the right diet. My father had liver disease.

I ate my kids Cinnamon Toast Crunch with Lactose Free Milk. It was fun and low fiber.

I'm so curious after reading this thread. How do you know what doesn't agree with you? I'm still on steroids after being diagnosed last month, have started tapering off them. I have had no more pain since being off them and no bouts of diarrhea. Can you only figure out what does abd doesn't agree once you're off steroids? What symptoms do these foods cause you? I can't imagine not eating fruit or veges!

I'm so curious after reading this thread. How do you know what doesn't agree with you? I'm still on steroids after being diagnosed last month, have started tapering off them. I have had no more pain since being off them and no bouts of diarrhea. Can you only figure out what does abd doesn't agree once you're off steroids? What symptoms do these foods cause you? I can't imagine not eating fruit or veges!
A lot of people try a food diary to see what foods disagree with their system. You mentioned about fruits and vegetables. My wife and I go to the hot bar at Whole Foods Market a lot. They tend to not fully cook their vegetables which doesn't set well with my system. For me personally, bananas are the only fruit that settles on my system. Everyone is a little different on what they can or cannot eat.

cmack

Staff member
I agree with Ron a food diary is a very helpful tool.

I ate a banana and had a black coffee so far. Next will be veggie soup with sliced black Italian olives for lunch, afternoon snack will be 1/2 cup of chickpeas. Dinner will be a veggie stir fry Or a smoothie I haven't decided yet. After dinner snack, a little dark chocolate 1'' cube or so and maybe 1/4 cup of roasted salted peanuts.

Besides logging my food on Fitbit I can also log symptoms. The only issue is if I try more than one new item at a time. So I try to only ad one new item. It feels like I ate glass if I say ate cauliflower and like barbed wire is being dragged back and forth around my terminal ileum. I'm trying to keep a more simple diet but when family comes I blow it and pay later. Hence my Cinnabon we had yesterday. It didn't hurt too bad just too much oils.

Doing an elimination diet (Such as the intro diet for Specific Carbohydrate Diet or GAPS) then adding things back in slowly is also helpful.

Agreed about fruits and veggies - Cooking (boiling/steaming until very soft) and then pureeing them works for me when I have been experiencing symptoms. Raw bananas always seem fine. I also use 100% fruit juice to make gelatin.

Last edited:
Oh! And today I've eaten...
Breakfast: Sliced banana with small scoop of homemade yogurt; hardboiled egg; green tea
Lunch: Baked Salmon with lemon, salt, pepper; pureed butternut squash; pureed spinach/kale/chard mix
Snack: hardboiled egg, few sips 100% blueberry juice
Dinner: Baked salmon and pureed greens again; pureed carrots

Oh! And today I've eaten...
Breakfast: Sliced banana with small scoop of homemade yogurt; hardboiled egg; green tea
Lunch: Baked Salmon with lemon, salt, pepper; pureed butternut squash; pureed spinach/kale/chard mix
Snack: hardboiled egg, few sips 100% blueberry juice
Dinner: Baked salmon and pureed greens again; pureed carrots
Wow great meals....I'm feeling guilty for my Angel Hair Macaroni :)

scottsma

Breakfast...Banana and high nutrition powder with chia seeds,soaked 'til soft,match green tea.It's almost 3pm and I haven't eaten lunch yet,but you guys make me feel so lazy because of the trouble you take with your diets.After I've cooked for hubby I don't feel like bothering to much for myself.But you've given me some ideas.

Breakfast...Banana and high nutrition powder with chia seeds,soaked 'til soft,match green tea.It's almost 3pm and I haven't eaten lunch yet,but you guys make me feel so lazy because of the trouble you take with your diets.After I've cooked for hubby I don't feel like bothering to much for myself.But you've given me some ideas.
Is this like a smoothie or like a porridge? Never tried chia seeds but read about them.

I had my boring but safe cornflakes, with living on the wild side, 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts. Well and coffee of course.

you guys make me feel so lazy because of the trouble you take with your diets.After I've cooked for hubby I don't feel like bothering to much for myself.But you've given me some ideas.
I feel lazy and overwhelmed by cooking sometimes too. Now, especially that I'm doing the pureed veggies thing, I am making sure to do batch cooking. Instead of having to think about every meal, I know I have food that works for me in the fridge for a few days and don't have to worry about it.

I know what you mean it's hard finding the energy to cook. I know I should have an egg instead of cereal but mornings are so hard.

scottsma

G.I. the nutrition powder is made by Bioglan.I'm on chocolate at the moment,2teaspoons in 0 fat milk.But I prefer Berries flavour.They do a veggie one as well.So if my diets rubbish,at least I know I'm getting nutrition.
For my very late lunch,I had two eggs on toast. and match green tea.Don't feel like much else for the rest of the day, except my usual nibbles of raw well chewed nuts and a few squares of chocolate.

I've bought so many protein powders hard to find a good tasting one. I've been having the ensure plus lately for meals when I can't bare the thought of food.....like now wishing I had only had the smoothie instead of the half cup of corn flakes....sigh.

Magnolia, I love egg salad sandwiches and hard boiled eggs but the last two times they hurt me bad so I'm gun shy of them right now.

cmack

Staff member
Sometimes eggs used to bother me too, I quit that kind! Maybe if it was organic it would be OK for me. I should try them because I like eggs. I used to eat pickled eggs all the time(those days are long done and over). :(

Hey I had yogurt and banana too only 1/4 contain at a time. Just had second breakfast of it lol. Also, braved a couple bites of eggs with tater tot crowns my husband cooked....crossing my fingers on that one.