• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Normal until...

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
I never had many medical problems growing up. As a child I had Asthama, but I outgrew it. I of course got sick every now and again, but nothing more than typical. There were no early indicators of anything abnormal in what I could eat or problems with digestion.

About 3 years ago something just changed. I cannot give a specific date or time, but slowly I was becoming more constipated. Over the course of several months my washroom visits went from about one every day to one a week. Early doctor appointments resulted in me trying to eat more fibre and drink more water, but that did not help. I started taking mild oral laxatives, but they did not seem to help. The "force" of the laxatives I started to take began to increase, but still there seemed to be no relief.

My docotor was out of ideas (and luckily laxatives with even more force were not available), so he sent me to get a sigmoidoscopy. That was not a very fun experience, but it did show evidence of what may be wrong. While Crohn's was not exactly found, there were signs that I might have it. A colonoscopy later on would confirm inflammation in about 2 feet (50cm) of my small intestine.

After that I was put on the medication Entocort. For a summer I was not really affected by my newly diagnosed disease, except for the new medication I was on. Eventually though I had a bad experience after eating some nuts (some cramping and vomiting... the first time but definately not the last time) and was put on imuran as a new medication.

I now found that cramps and bloating were a more regular part of my life, and I had to be much more careful in the foods I avoided (mostly just nuts). Still I was able to lead a mostly ordinary life until this past november. For several weeks I was having cramping that was probably a bit worst than normal, but I also started to vomit much more frequently. This was very uncommom, so I went to my gastroenterologist who was able to find that I had a narrowing in my small intestine and prescribed me prednisone.

While the prednisone seemed to bring some early relief, I soon seemed to be able to only tolerate liquids. I thought that this would only be very temporary though and it did not bother me that I would go on vacation under this condition.

After a great 2 weeks in Florida I returned home, where I still was on a mostly liquid diet. The narrowing was still their and was not allowing me to eat much. I started the second semester of my first year of university with hopes that I could avoid any problems until the summer, where it seemed like surgery would be necessary. Things were going okay until february, where after vommiting for a night I went to the hospital. I was there for a week and sent home, where I decided I would still try and delay surgery until the school year was done. In the mean time I stayed at home, and only left the house to write tests at school (which I was able to spend a lot of time studying on at least). While doing this I remained on a liquied diet, and my weight was dropping very fast. My energy level was very low, and my overall mood was pretty bad. Finally it was decided that I could not go on like this and on March 22 I was admitted again in the hospital. After 2 weeks of TPN to get some more weight on me, I had 2 feet of my small intestine removed. After a week I was able to come home, and it now has been just less than two weeks since I have had surgery.

It is amazing that I can now eat SOLID food again, and not experience any cramps or bloating. I am still some time from full recovery, but I am well on my way there.

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
General Facts about me:

Diagnosed with Crohns around the summer of 2004

Had my first surgery (removal of 2 feet of small intestine) on April 6, 2006

Currently 19 and in first year university

D

doubledown

It's interesting how things can change so quickly. One year everything seems normal and then all of a sudden things change.

cookey

Mama Crohnie
I..... like you Mike, was a very active teen..never sick a day until I turned 18 My world fell apart. I was diagnosed in 1978 after hemmoraging from the bowel. One could say Crohn's has been my whole life. In and out of hospitals for months at a time. I missed my teenage years, as well as losing jobs, because I was so ill. It was not until, 18yrs of being off and on Prednisone that I was told by doctors if I didnt have major surgery performed, I would not survive. So, to make a long story short...I did just that, because removing pieces of bowel, over the years...was just not working for me anymore. My bowel was thinning each passing year, so they performed an Ileostomy. To those who may be unsure, I wear a pouch now for waste. I don't regret one minute of my decision, mainly because I'm alive and well, :) However, I do still have Crohns/Colitis and always will. As we all know there is no cure, as of yet. If there was, it would be just a little to late for me, which is fine, I'm very happy and healthy the way I am now.

R

ReeRee

Keep your chin up! I can't believe you're not even 2 weeks out of surgery and already back home and on the computer. I'm a big baby after surgery and they never let me come home that quick..haha.

Ain't Entocort a freakin JOY and a half? I just got off of it about a month ago. I'm on Methotrexate but was having a bad flare up and did a month on Entocort. It worked wonders. For the first time in over 20 years, I'm on meds that really seem to be working...yay.

I'm so glad you're back on solid food again. GO YOU! I well remember the liquid diets of my past. EW! I always felt so lucky to get to graduate to baby food...hahaha...btw, Gerber Hawaiian Delight is my personal favorite.

I'm really proud of you going to college! Keep up the good work! I don't know how you do it and I admire you a lot for it. Takes a lot of "testicular fortitude" to do that.

If you ever need somebody to complain to, I'm here for ya! I mean that. I think I'm the oldest person here, so far, and there's nothing you could say that would shock me.

R

ReeRee

Cookey, wow, you've had it longer than me! I thought I was the oldest surviving Crohnnie...haha.

Don't you just love your ostomy? I love mine. It's my 2nd and temporary but I kinda hope they'll make it permanent. My doc says I'm the only person he knows who loves their ostomy. But I do. It just makes life easier.

cookey

Mama Crohnie
Well Ree Ree, I am the oldest on this site so far....Hey someone has to be. Not only am I the oldest, I'm the oldest baglady...hehehe, and yes darn proud of it. I'm thinking about designing my own designer pouches...whatcha think about that? Come on now, wouldn't it be nice to walk around in style, :p . Thirty years of being a Crohnie, you have to keep and find humor from somewhere. Here's a sick one for ya, joke that is...many yrs ago, while I was doing my nightly rocking back and forth method for pain, my smart butt sister, comes in with the craziest joke...just to get my mind off the pain. She said, "Ole Crohn's Don't Die They Just Crap Out" I know, not all that funny...but it sure did wonders for me at the time. Have a great night all...and it's sure nice to meet everyone. :D

R

ReeRee

Normal Until

cookey said:
"Ole Crohn's Don't Die They Just Crap Out"

BAHAahahahah! Oh that's a good one! I want it on a tshirt!!!!:D

You know, that designer pouch idea ain't half bad..lol. I have thought about making a little "sock" to slip over it that ties with a ribbon at the top. You know, just to dress it up a little....lol. So that if, for some reason my shirt flies up and my pants fall down, all anybody would see is a leopard print pouch-thing...lol. I'd call them Colostomy Coozies.:D Maybe we should get together and discuss a design...........lol.

As for being the oldest here, I was a child of the 80's and we always get along with the children of the 70's..LOL.

cookey

Mama Crohnie
Sounds great to me gal...lets do it. We could potentially have money in the bank...do you think? Love that name Colostomy Coozies, excellent!! Drop me a line anytime. Hugs

Last edited:
R

ReeRee

I think we are going to become really good cyberpals! I love your sense of humor. You can drop me a line anytime too. I'll pm you my email addy too.

J

jlbastian

mikeyarmo said:
It is amazing that I can now eat SOLID food again, and not experience any cramps or bloating. I am still some time from full recovery, but I am well on my way there.
Isn't it great?! I ate Taco Bell for the first time yesterday, which was the ones thing that pretty much made me feel like death before. It was absolutely incredible.

It only gets better as you heal completely! :D

L

little_sami

Hey Mike I never saw this hear before - So we're in the minority of those who actually get constipated with this!! Most poeple are very much the other way arent they? I'm pretty much constipated unless Im flarring. It sucks doesn't it?

Bloating and cramping is never fun, specially when it's every day. Nice to learn a bit more about the creator of this wonderful site xxx

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Yes it is funny with the constipation.... that is the main reason the doctor was so confident that I did not have CD. It is odd to have the opposite main symptom of so many others. It was always funny in the hosptial when I saw someone new and they would ask me how many times a day I would be going to the washroom before I was in the hospital.. I would say not even once a day and they were so amazed :).

L

little_sami

It makes me feel more normal to know you had the same problems. It can make me feel a bit like a fraud or a cheat when i dont have the same probs as everyone else, i kinda feel less valid if you know what i mean? Not that I want the big D you understand... am i making sense?

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
little_sami said:
It makes me feel more normal to know you had the same problems. It can make me feel a bit like a fraud or a cheat when i dont have the same probs as everyone else, i kinda feel less valid if you know what i mean? Not that I want the big D you understand... am i making sense?
I really could not have put it any clearer myself. I know exactly what you mean :) .

X

xrayzerase

i am glad to read what you wrote here.
i am really glad to be here-and i am very glad for your post on lj--
i read only one other persons story here..and-i am a bit burnt..but-reading yours and his story-and a little on pentasa and entocort has already been so helpful..
as much as i am writing in replies-i should just write my story! lol--i guess i am still in shock with diagnosis last week-even though it is mild..it seems to be really "flaring"-and-
this crohn's is a real drag huh?
right now..all i can think about is just wanting to get back to normal...
anyway-this forum is really excellent-and i am glad to be here and to have read yours and one others story so far..
andrea

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Andrea,

I did not realize that you just got diagnosed!

please... PLEASE ask all and any questions you may have. Any fears, concerns, worries, things you are unsure of... post them as I am sure everyone is as willing to help as they can be. We have all been at your place in time before, but now that a community like this is here you should not have to go through some of the scary moments of just not knowing what is going on.

We can wait for your story. Just relax and get through the tougher times. Brighter days are always ahead.

G

groovychick

xrayzerase, i have had I.B.D for 8 and a half years and i just wanna say if you wanna talk to me you can and i am online at about 12 on weekends

merrywidow

mum with a dogdy tum
mikeyarmo said:
General Facts about me:

Diagnosed with Crohns around the summer of 2004

Had my first surgery (removal of 2 feet of small intestine) on April 6, 2006

Currently 19 and in first year university
i read this too quick and thought you had both of your feet amputated!! well it does say removal of 2 feet!.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Merry, we also know cm, but most of the members are from the States and it is easier. As far as weight goes, we say kg or lbs, not stones.

merrywidow

mum with a dogdy tum
creepy that post does not make sense.
definition found on dictionary.com

nec·ro·man·cy (něk'rə-mān'sē)

1.The practice of supposedly communicating with the spirits of the dead in order to predict the future.

2.Black magic; sorcery.

3.Magic qualities.

[Alteration of Middle English nigromancie, from Old French nigremancie, from Medieval Latin nigromantia, alteration (influenced by Latin niger, black) of Late Latin necromantia, from Greek nekromanteia : nekros, corpse; see nek-1 in Indo-European roots + manteia, divination; see -mancy.]
nec'ro·man'cer n., nec'ro·man'tic (-mān'tĭk) adj

merrywidow

mum with a dogdy tum
the link for this thread was in "site suggestions", about thanking mike for the forum. and i asked for a link to his first post. and this is mikes first post.