• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Autoimmune Diseases and Microscopic Colitis

Forgive me if this has already been posted.

I am curious if anyone has been diagnosed with an autoimmune disease in addition to microscopic colitis?

If so, what and how are you managing this?

I have a family history of people with autoimmune diseases (lupus, graves disease) and I have been experiencing several symptoms (fatigue, rash, pain in legs- mainly calves, etc.) My iron level was low the last time I had that checked, which was about 10 years ago.

Wondering if I should bring this up to my GI, suggestions on how to, and any information/suggestions, from people who have dealt with this or wondered this themselves.

I was diagnosed with MC about a year ago. I am a 53 year-old female and have had RA for 12 years. Apparently MC is most common in women who already have another autoimmune disease. YAY! Lucky me! lol

I have/had more than one auto immune disease, although not the ones that most people experience. First, I had rheumatic fever, which left me with a bad mitral valve. When I was pregnant with my second child, I had gestational diabetes, which may or may not be autoimmune. After replacement of my bad mitral valve, I have recurrent acute pericarditis. Now lymphocytic colitis. My blood tests show abnormal CRP and Ig.

Hi, sorry for the late reply but only found this forum today. I was diagnosed with collagenous colitis 10 years ago and with Graves Disease about 7 years ago, so yes, I have more than one auto-immune condition.

Glad to have found you all - I'm off to do more reading on this great forum!
Sue

My aunt has Graves' disease, my mom has hashimotos, and my dad has hypothyroidism. They have checked my thyroid three times in the past two years and everything comes back normal, but I still wonder...

My friend just lead me here. I am newly diagnosed with RA and have Col. Colitis as well. Anyone know if/how they may be related? I have not even told my Rheumatologist @ my CC>

I was diagnosed with MC about a year ago. I am a 53 year-old female and have had RA for 12 years. Apparently MC is most common in women who already have another autoimmune disease. YAY! Lucky me! lol
I have RA and MC, too. I'm coming up on 59 years-old in January. I've learned to live with both but my biggest problem is that the food I want to eat to loose weight, such as salads and vegetables cause me to live on the toilet and it's not worth it. I'm on Enbrel shots for RA but nothing for the MC. I don't even know if there is anything for it.

I have RA and MC, too. I'm coming up on 59 years-old in January. I've learned to live with both but my biggest problem is that the food I want to eat to loose weight, such as salads and vegetables cause me to live on the toilet and it's not worth it. I'm on Enbrel shots for RA but nothing for the MC. I don't even know if there is anything for it.
Raw vegetables are a no no for me.

I was just diagnosed with CC this morning::(. I also have HLA-B27 spondyloarthropathy and UCTD with features of systemic scleroderma (all diagnosed in January 2014). With the possibility of SSc, even the mention of collagen strikes terror in me. However, I had been taking 500mg of (doctor prescribed) naproxen a day for two years, so it's unknown whether the CC is related to that or the underlying autoimmune condition.

Thank you, Kimelizabeth! That is an excellent site!

Along the lines of this thread, here is was my GI just now responded when I messaged him about whether the CC could be related to my underlying autoimmune condition:

"No one understands the etiology of collagenous colitis and I do not recall any other of my patients with collagenous colitis having underlying autoimmune diseases."

I understand that the exact cause or causes of CC have not been identified, but just about every website I have visited so far has listed having an autoimmune disease as one of the major risk factors.

Dx with breast cancer in '05, chemo and radiation. Started auto-immune issues in '08 (PMR, Hashimotos, Anti-Phospholid, Esophagitis, etc.) All pretty well controlled by '11. Dx last July with Microcopic Colitis after losing 30+ pounds in 2 years. Haven't got it controlled yet, but still learning. So happy to have found this site. Now I have intelligent questions for the Dr. I'm stubborn so resistant to major changes in diet, but I'm starting to moderate my worst offenders (Diet Pepsi, coffee, scotch). I KNOW it's an auto-immune. How do we treat the overactive immune system without resorting to steroids?

Dx with breast cancer in '05, chemo and radiation. Started auto-immune issues in '08 (PMR, Hashimotos, Anti-Phospholid, Esophagitis, etc.) All pretty well controlled by '11. Dx last July with Microcopic Colitis after losing 30+ pounds in 2 years. Haven't got it controlled yet, but still learning. So happy to have found this site. Now I have intelligent questions for the Dr. I'm stubborn so resistant to major changes in diet, but I'm starting to moderate my worst offenders (Diet Pepsi, coffee, scotch). I KNOW it's an auto-immune. How do we treat the overactive immune system without resorting to steroids?
Welcome. I don't know the answer but i am sure someone else will have the answer.