• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hitting a brick wall

Hey guys

This is my first post on here! I've had Crohn's now for 2 years this month and I'm on my third course of prednisilone (fourth course of steroids in total). I started on 30mg and am on 25mgs at the moment but I'm feeling so helpless and like I've hit an absolute wall now as I'm starting to get pains again, my brains telling me I'm hungry but my body's just saying 'go on I dare you to feed me see what I do' and to top it off, since I tried the polymeric diet back in Sept/October, I can't tolerate Ensure, Fortisip or Fortijuice anymore, they make me feel so so sick and pretty much like someones punched me in my stomach so my weights stuck at 46kg!

Has anyone else found themselves stuck in a rut like this? I tried the polymeric diet in the hope that I wouldn't have to start Azathioprine but I think I'll be starting that in January, on the proviso I can get myself a bit better which doesn't look very likely at the moment without upping the steroids again for a bit longer. I feel like the polymeric may have done more harm than good now though. I have polycal powder to add to my drinks but getting 4 scoops at least in 5 drinks a day is so hard.

I'm sorry this has turned into a real rant now!!! Thank you for reading :)
Nic xxx

Hello, sorry to hear about this.
I truly believe if you set your mind to a goal, you'll feel better.
For example, one day wake up and tell yourself that you're going to do everything right.
Eat the right foods, take the correct medications on the correct times, and just do everything perfectly, then everything seems to brighten up. That's what I do, maybe it won't work for you but I hope you find that "one" thing that does!

I have felt that way before, but the bright side is that there are places to turn for you. I understand not wanting the hard core meds, its a hard choice. It seems to me I would rather the immunosuppresant than all the steroids. I personally can never get off them when I start them.

I don't know a lot about a polymeric diet so I can't help much with that.. have you tried Boost instead of Ensure maybe that wont hit your guts so hard.

I have felt that way before, but the bright side is that there are places to turn for you. I understand not wanting the hard core meds, its a hard choice. It seems to me I would rather the immunosuppresant than all the steroids. I personally can never get off them when I start them.

I don't know a lot about a polymeric diet so I can't help much with that.. have you tried Boost instead of Ensure maybe that wont hit your guts so hard.
I started off taking Ensure and it seemed a little too heavy for me! Boost was the way to go! :hang:

Nicola, sounds like you've had a rough a time of late, can I ask which Fortisip drinks you were having? They used to give me grief & upset stomachs all the time, so I have an idea how you feel...
For the last 3 months I've been on the Fortisip Compacts, they come in a range of delicious...they come in a range of flavours & are only 125ml each but still provide 300cals . I’ve found these easier on the stomach & have to some degree helped stabilise my weight...hope you get better 

Thank you all for your positive messages. I've just got back from another appointment at the hosp and I need to have a Barium now, the doc thinks it's my stricture causing problems and that surgery is going to be the resolution. The joys. So I have to have a look into that now. Lol I suppose you have to laugh or you'll cry eh. I'd just come round to the idea of Azathioprine and now it's off the table for the time being.

Oms - it was the shake style Fortisip I had, Strawberry, Toffee and Choc...wasn't a huge fan of the rest and ugh the Fortijuice, if I never have to try that again as long as I live it'll be too soon! Are Fortisip compacts powder or bottles? I had bottles that were 300cals I think.

IBD & Nica - is Boost something you can buy over the counter do you know? I did that with the Ensure at first, just the one bottle to be sure I liked it over the Fortisip. xx