• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ensure Clear healthy to gain weight with?

I need to get into remission, as well as gain weight along the way atleast a total of 20 lbs. I did have increased my caloric intake yet GI still recommends Ensure until my weight is normal. Is Ensure Clear a healthy way to gain weight along with eating a good amt of calories to gain weight from food. I know others have mentioned that the Carrageenan may aggravate symptoms yet Ensure clear does not contain Carrageenan like the regular Ensure.

Here are the ingredients: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81FW3zyj67L._SY355_.jpg

Nurtition facts:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/916bo7wew7L._SY355_.jpg

Anything to worry about or is this fine? Just thought I'd get some insight on this as the last thing I want is a bad ingredient like Carrageenan.

I have stopped Ensure lately because of the carrageen but I don't know about Ensure Clear. We have been drinking protein shakes by a company called Svelte.

I looked at one of your links. It says contains milk ingredients. Are you intolerant towards dairy?
No I can tolerate milk, this really tastes good. Hopefully I'll get some extra weight out of this when temporarily on it, this can't be too bad. If any one else has and experience from Ensure clear feel free to give some of your experience as well as that would help me know if this is trustworthy or not.

We are using this sometimes. Important to note is that it only has 180 calories per container where ensure regular would have about 250 calories. We found that about 500 calories per day plus real food helped our daughter gain weight. When we moved down to 250 calories it wasn't as reliable. If you can figure out what 25-50% of your calorie intake is and go for that amount of formula plus food it might work. Not cheap though!It helps to talk to a dietician.