• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Are Crohn's Disease and Lactose Intolerance Related

W

wi_girl

You guys may think some of these questions are stupid but I would honestly like some input.Here goes.

Saturday is my 21st birthday so I want to do what most people do on their 21st and drink,will that be a big mistake?

My Dr. told me Crohn's can make you lactose intolerant, does lactose free milk taste like regular milk?

Are foods such as berries,wheat,popcorn,nuts and things with caffeine a no no forever or is once in awhile ok?

-Jenny

V

Valentina

NO question is stupid.. so ask anything.

the annoying this about this disease is thats its so individual, one persons "miracle" juice could be anothers nightmare, so keep that in mind as well. so as far as the food list. if you know those things are "trigger" foods for you, then you know how often you want to or can eat them. some might be worse than others. some times it takes a long time and patience to figure out what your trigger foods are. a lot of people keep a food diary to figure it out. (write down what u eat, and when and the symptoms you experience minutes even days later, you should start to see a patern)
Im not sure that crohns can 'Make' u lactose intolerant, but I know that alot of us are lactose intolerant on top of the crohns. I use the lactose milk sometimes. I dont love it, I find it a lot sweeter than regular milk, so I just use it for cereal or adding to tea/coffee etc. but give it a try.. you might like it :)

as far as the drinking. If your on any meds they might advize against it. Im not meant to drink on mine, and I didnt for years, but I eventually tested it out on my own, and do drink occasionally now. Im sure I shouldnt though, and I dont want to be the person who tells you its OK, and then you have a reaction! lol so if your concerned, I would bring it up with your DR or even your pharmacist and see what they say.

And happy birthday by the way! I hope you have a great time :)

V

Valentina

I just saw that you taking Entocort and Asacol
these might help with the alcohol Qs:
Entocort:
http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/DVH/Uses/0,3915,550830|Entocort+EC,00.html
Alcohol, grapefruit, and grapefruit juice can increase the risk of getting serious side effects while you are taking budesonide. Avoid grapefruit, grapefruit juice, and alcoholic drinks while taking budesonide.
Asacol:
http://www.inhousepharmacy.com/digestive/asacol.html
Daily use of alcohol, especially when combined with this medicine, may increase your risk for stomach bleeding. Check with your doctor or pharmacist for more information.

S

Skinsfan1229

It is a individual disease. But I just turned 21 this past dec and I rarely drink, like twice a year and I'm fine when I do and I flare normally pretty regularly and severe, and I dont even go so much as a tummy grumble. But thats me.

Lactose free milk? Are you talking about Soy milk? I've had that, The chocalate I got used to and still actually keep some on hand, but the vainilla is just to watery for me. I am only lactose intolerant when flaring, but when I am I can drink milk or eat ice cream as long as I take some digestive enzymes afterwards, which some people say you should take them before but. Goats milk is supposed to be a lot easieir to digest for people that are lactose intolerant. Also if you live near a local dairy you can buy milk from them, and I've heard if you do that its easier to digest, dont really know why, someone might come along and explain, there are some knowledgable people here

J

Janet

Everyone has told me to avoid alcohol because it's just going to make the symptoms worse.

I think I can safely say I will NEVER eat nuts or popcorn ever again. Nobody is going to stop you from eating those things but just know you're going to feel like shit (literally). I'm okay with handling caffeine but I always get my coffee decaf.

If you were recently diagnosed, you'll need to experiment for yourself and see what triggers your symptoms because what might be murder for me may be fine for you.

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
I, personally, can't drink while in a flare-up because it just hurts like crazy. When not in a flare-up, I can drink just fine. It's all individual.