• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Humira and Acne

Has anyone else gotten acne that they attribute to their Humira? Prior to starting Humira, I would maybe get one pimple every few months. Now that I'm on it, I get acne all of the time. It can't be a coincidence as nothing else I can think of has changed.

Coincidence does not necessarily mean causation.

That said, Humira can cause rashes/etc. Have you asked you GI about it?

Could be an infection instead of acne-I had MRSA which I was treating as acne for a long time on my face. It cleared up with a strong antibiotic ointment.

I recently started im introduction dose on the 16th of may....and 3 days later I had 3 pimples on my face...called the humira hotline and the nurse told me that it was a side effect from it. along with cough,fever, and tiredness. and if you have to be on antibiots your doc will have to pull you off the humira till the antibiotics are finished....hope that helped ya:)

My whole entire life I've had a total of like 5 pimples ever. Suddenly I'm having acne. This is a new experience to me... I don't want to jump to conclusions, but a lot of times people say that 6 or so months into their Humira treatment, they start to get bruising at injection site and other things that they had not previously gotten from the injections. I just started getting the bruising, so now I'm wondering if these pimples have anything to do with it..

In nearly two years on Humira including weekly I haven't had rashes or acne and only when I hit a small vein do I get any bruising.

Perhaps having your hormone levels checked would be a good thing, just to check nothing else is going astray.

I have been on Humira for almost three months now. I have broken out with acne on my face and along my hairline. I have tried anti-bacterial soaps and even the new Oxy pump cleanser. Nothing seems to help. I am a 45 year old professional man with acne! I haven't had acne since before kids, and both of mine are college students. HELP!

Have you talked to your docs about it? Try taking an anti-histamine for a couple of days just to see if it's an allergic reaction.

No, not yet. I guess I wanted to see if I could get it under control on my own. No luck. I guess I will turn to the Docs. You really thing it might be an allergic reaction? I just took a shot yesterday. I will try the anti-histamine just to see.

Allergic reactions with Humira are much less likely than say Remicade, however it can still cause strange effects in a minority of people. If you can try an anti-histamine, like benedryl, it's worth seeing if it makes a difference at all. It is worth talking to your GI about the side effects, they may want to do some blood tests to see what's going on.
A dermatologist may be able to help manage the symptoms of the acne better.

I have also developed acne after starting Humira. I know it isn't a coincidence or a rash. It is acne and I am 35 and have NEVER had skin problems.

About 3-4 months after starting humira my acne got much worse-and is on my neck and arms too. My GI said it's a side effect of humira, which is too bad :/

Acne

I've never had acne before. Pimples, yes. Monthly breakouts, yes. I stated Humira 6 weeks ago yesterday and for the past 2-3 weeks have experienced acne constantly. I always wondered if it hurt, yes it does. Constant pressure pimples and red spots. I have a wedding in two months and don't know what to do. I tried my sister's ProActive and nothing. I'm getting it on my face, back, arms, and chest. Basically I look like I have the chicken pox except 10x worse. Has anyone's gone away with continued treatment? I hate this. First I have to be in the hospital for weeks, then I finally get to where all I have to do is 'shoot up' with Humira (ow!) and now I look like a teenager going through puberty. I can't get married like this, my poor fiance.

I am not on Humira but I do take Remicade. I had what I thought was cystic acne on the jawline and neck. I was at a doctor's appointment and one of the doctors walking by stopped and looked at my skin. He said it was a reaction from the sun and Remicade-apparently it makes your skin photosensitive. He recommended I use SPF50 Mineral based sunblock-I like Coppertone Sensitive Skin, personally, and it cleared up in a few weeks. Whenever I go out, even just sitting in the car, if I forget-poof it comes right back.

I use zinc oxide cream at home on my skin at night, and it will clear this kind of acne up in a matter of a week or so. Hope this helps!

I would love if that were it. But I live in Idaho and I havent seen the sun for almost a month. It barely gets light enough for me to walk to school. But O will try that and I think I'll try anti-histamines. I'll let you all know how it ends. Hopefully not in horrible wedding pictures.

It's really any kind of sunlight-evened filtered through a window or windsheild, even overcast. As for your wedding pictures, I had great success with Make Up Forever Matte foundation-looks really natural and stays on a long time, doesn't smudge or run. It's a little expensive but so worth it for your big day!

Aha! Well, don't stress. Go kick a tree or yell at somebody. :D Deep breathing, a long soak in a bubble bath.... We all have to find what works for us. I know the feeling, though.

nogutsnoglory

I just started Humira and notice that my skin easily turns red and my face gets pimples/rash after a hot shower. Am I suddenly allergic to hot water? I have never been before and now with Humira my skin seems very sensitive.

I've been wondering the same thing... I used to have oily skin and since I started Humira my face is extra sensitive and gets red and flaky after being in hot water and in the sun. My dermatologist diagnosed me with rosacea but the medicine he prescribed makes it worse.

Ive been on Humira for almost a year now, and I noticed as soon as i started it that I have lots more acne, like small bumps on hairline and outskirts of face. I dont know, but i dont think its listed as a side affect. It should be tho!
Also, I notice that evertime i do my injection it looks different. sometimes a rash, sometimes a bruise, and sometimes its "bubbles" really weird lookin. I am still in remission tho, so thank God for that.

I would get a pimple here and there before Humira but I'm a few months into Humira and I'm breaking out really bad on my face, on my forehead by my hairline and after a hot shower my face gets red and really dry. I need to find a good oil free moisturizer.

I just started Humira a week or so ago. I broke out in terrible acne shortly after. I thought it was because my Prednisone was stopped, so I begged by Doctor to put me back on it. After reading this, I'm convinced that it's the Humira. I have acne prone skin, but this is crazy! I'm almost scared to go out of the house. My skin has a thick oil all around my hairline and I've made it red and sore with the amount of cleaning that I do to it all in an effort to minimize the bumps. I HATE it!

40 yr. old female
Diagnoised in 1994
Colon resection in 1998
In remission for many years 30-40, but it's back..lol

I have been on Humira for 1 1/2 years now and I am suddenly getting rash and pimple like spots or rash randomly on my back, and my skin is getting medium size (like a pea) white bumps ... as well as acne. I am on antibiotics for acne anyway and then these started happening. My rash was itchy like crazy and had to take prednisone for two weeks and benedryl. And now just my scalp itches.. not sure if that is related, may be from a hair straightening. But I don't want my Crohns to get worse but I dont want acne and pea size bumps all over either. Does the same thing happen with all biologics?

Has anyone else gotten acne that they attribute to their Humira? Prior to starting Humira, I would maybe get one pimple every few months. Now that I'm on it, I get acne all of the time. It can't be a coincidence as nothing else I can think of has changed.
Yes! I've never had acne in my life. Im 35 years old and since I started Humira my face has got the worst case of acne. Is leaving red marks, scars I've tried everything!Every face wash. Have you found anything that helps or have you spoken with your doctor yet??

Have you seen a dermatologist? I get itching with my scalp and mine comes from psoriasis. I have been on Cimzia, Remicade, Stelara and Humira. Acne has never been an issue with any of these biologics but different people respond to medications differently. Hope you get answers soon. Sorry, I didn't notice the date.