• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Met the cutter today

Met the surgeon today,spent an hour with him learned alot about Crohns from him,best we could figure looking at the floroscopy pics 3 to 4 in of the colon and 6 to 8 in of small intestine,he told me that area of diseased intestine will be much less flexible than the healthy so he wants to do open surgery(lay me open like a trout) so he can just lift it out as opposed to pulling it out and possible hurt or tear healthy intestine.I could have this done already but i insisted on this Dr he has been a cutter for 25 years and seen every kind of crohnie gut. Sure hope he is on top of his game on July 29. Prep for sugery is just like a colonoscopy prep except i start taking an antibiotic a few days before surgery.

ameslouise

Good luck with your surgery! I like me my doctors with a lot of experience - my surgeon was 72 when he did my first surgery!

Keep us posted to let us know how you are doing!

- Amy

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi 5 iron,

Best of luck with your upcoming surgery! Roo had the same procedure as an emergency, so no prep or antibiotics pre-op, and she came through it just fine. Will be thinking about you.

Take care,
Dusty

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
HI 5 Iron, been awhile since you have been on here,and I have been wondering about you. Your cutter must be good, he is putting you on antibiotics prior which is the best idea. I get annoyed at surgeons who operate on someone without them. That happened on my second surgery and what a mess and never healed...idiot. My first surgery was IV cipro and flagyl and postsurgery and I was good for 7 years. Would of been longer if I didnt put it on the back burner and had lots of stress.

BTW I got my first par yesterday of the year! Hey I am still new at it but trying to enjoy my life when I can.

Keep us posted on the date of your surgery good luck!

Good luck 5 Iron. I hope you recover quickly and the entire process goes smoothly. Let us know how things are/go.

Wendy

HI 5 Iron, been awhile since you have been on here,and I have been wondering about you. Your cutter must be good, he is putting you on antibiotics prior which is the best idea. I get annoyed at surgeons who operate on someone without them. That happened on my second surgery and what a mess and never healed...idiot. My first surgery was IV cipro and flagyl and postsurgery and I was good for 7 years. Would of been longer if I didnt put it on the back burner and had lots of stress.

BTW I got my first par yesterday of the year! Hey I am still new at it but trying to enjoy my life when I can.

Keep us posted on the date of your surgery good luck!
congrats on the par jettalady,golf is funny one good shot one good hole makes are day it's great keep playing,after surgery im sure it's going to be 6mp

Good luck 5 Iron. I hope you recover quickly and the entire process goes smoothly. Let us know how things are/go.

Wendy
Thanks Keona all keep every posted on the recovery,I appraisal real estate for a living,the surgeon said if!!! all goes to plan I can work again in two weeks lotta if's put all keep my finger crossed.

Hi 5 iron,

Best of luck with your upcoming surgery! Roo had the same procedure as an emergency, so no prep or antibiotics pre-op, and she came through it just fine. Will be thinking about you.

Take care,
Dusty
Thanks Dustykat glad all went well with Roo,this is almost like elective surgery,I feel fine,but when two dr's tell you if ii was them they would cut it out to avoid a problem well that was good enough for me, oh I was on Humira for six months hoping to open it up no luck,but it sure stopped the belly aches.

Good luck with your surgery! I like me my doctors with a lot of experience - my surgeon was 72 when he did my first surgery!

Keep us posted to let us know how you are doing!

- Amy
Thanks ameslouise,good training of surgeon is important,but there is no substitute for been there done that a thousand times, but thats true in all professions,well that makes us old guys feel good anyway.

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Hey 5 iron, we've never met so I just wanted to say hello. Good luck with the surgery, sounds like you've got it under control.

Cutter (reply)

Met the surgeon today,spent an hour with him learned alot about Crohns from him,best we could figure looking at the floroscopy pics 3 to 4 in of the colon and 6 to 8 in of small intestine,he told me that area of diseased intestine will be much less flexible than the healthy so he wants to do open surgery(lay me open like a trout) so he can just lift it out as opposed to pulling it out and possible hurt or tear healthy intestine.I could have this done already but i insisted on this Dr he has been a cutter for 25 years and seen every kind of crohnie gut. Sure hope he is on top of his game on July 29. Prep for sugery is just like a colonoscopy prep except i start taking an antibiotic a few days before surgery.
Hi 5 iron,
I hope all goes well with your surgery. I will pray for you. Do have a question, How long does one have to be in hospital with surgery and how long is the recovery time? Just curious. I am so afraid I will have to have surgery due to the pain and issues I am dealing with. Just nervous and scared, I must admit, but I do know I have a protector!

Hi 5 iron,
I hope all goes well with your surgery. I will pray for you. Do have a question, How long does one have to be in hospital with surgery and how long is the recovery time? Just curious. I am so afraid I will have to have surgery due to the pain and issues I am dealing with. Just nervous and scared, I must admit, but I do know I have a protector!
Hi gidget29, 3 to 5 days in the hospital,another week at home,thats best case scenero,Dr told me 4 to 6 weeks before a 5 mile walk on the golf course,my advice to you is this, if you have a narrowing and meds are not making it better PULL THE TRIGGER accept it and have the surgery,don't wait till your balled up in corner in pain with a complete blockage rushed to the ER on a Sunday afternoon and get the on call surgeon doing his first resection,Sit down with your GI and choose the surgeon that does 3 a week of these things for the last 10 years,we can't control crohns but we do have a say in how we treat it,stack as many odds in your favor you can, good luck, I hope you don't need surgery and meds will get you well.

Astra

great to here from you again!
and good luck with the surgery, hope it's the best thing you've ever done!
xxx

great to here from you again!
and good luck with the surgery, hope it's the best thing you've ever done!
xxx
Thanks astra 101,you changed your hair color, makes you look 25 instead of 29,i read you were feeling a little puny latley med come down,the good news is it will pass,is it a good a thing that Spain won the cup? oops

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Thanks astra 101,you changed your hair color, makes you look 25 instead of 29,i read you were feeling a little puny latley med come down,the good news is it will pass,is it a good a thing that Spain won the cup? oops
Way to go Iron, she already can't get her head through the door!:ycool:

She is does look good tho... 29... :tongue: