• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pred and Oral Thrush

Grace has had a rough night. Lots of stomach pains and leg pains. This morning she woke up crying and saying her tongue hurts. I looked and saw white patches on the side of her cheeks and her tongue looks like it's coated white.

So is thrush a side effect of pred?:confused2:

Also, is their a way to treat this without antibiotics? Grace has had c diff and I don't wish for her to relive it.:yfaint:

:ghug:

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Oh no...poor Grace...:hug:

Unfortunately Thrush can be a side effect Pred. :( I'm not sure if there are any other remedies out there but the only one I can think of to treat it is an antifungal antibiotic called Nilstat and for oral thrush it comes in the form of drops.

Dusty. xxx

Sorry to hear that Grace has thrush! So unfun!

Steroids are a risk factor for getting thrush. Treatment of thrush is with antifungals not antibiotics, since thrush is a yeast. Treatment can be topical (a mouthwash) or systemic like diflucan (pill or liquid).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001650/ The link also mentions "If you develop a mild case of thrush after taking antibiotics, eating yogurt or taking over-the-counter acidophilus capsules can help.

Use a soft toothbrush and rinse your mouth with a diluted 3% hydrogen peroxide solution several times a day."

I would definitely talk to your doctor and see what treatment is best for Grace considering she is on continued prednisone.

Best wishes.

On dear, not a nice thing to have. I remember Amy having thrush meds once, it's a yellow liquid that she had to swirl round her mouth for 30 seconds then swallow. Think it helped fairly quickly

my little penguin

Staff member
hugs
IT could be just very bad mouth ulcers-
WE thought ds had thrush- white patches etc... ped dx at really bad ulcers not thrush
so get her checked by a doc.

(((hugs)))) poor Grace. My dad was on pred for years and would get oral thrush now and again. I hope she feels better soon.

My son was diagnosed with oral thrush by his pediatrician right before his diagnosis - he was prescribed Nystatin (a mouth wash type of thing) which helped some... when he was seen by the GI shortly after (and given the Crohns dx), he referred to it as mouth ulcers and prescribed a steroid gel stuff which really helped so I'm not sure which he had - thrush or ulcers... good to get a dr. to look but hopefully there's something topical that can be prescribed...
I have read, however, that you are more susceptible to Thrush while on pred.
Hope she's feeling better soon - she's got enough to deal with without this too!

Get a tongue scraper and teacher how to scrape her tongue. I believe i read somewhere that Florastor could help reduce the risks of thrush. being she has already had c.diff and is on pred her risk has increased. ask doctor if you can use Florastor. There is a ton of home remedies for thrush online. Like baking Soda to correct pH, swishing with peroxide, I don't know exactly what you can get Grace to do maybe mix up some toothpaste mixture for her. Milk of Magnesia swabbing of the mouth. Here is a big list of different ideas.
http://curezone.com/forums/am.asp?i=1418445

Interesting about the canker sores. Now her mouth hurts so bad she can't lay on either side.
Does thrush also hurt that bad? Can this be happening because she's tapering off pred?

I'll be calling the doc tomorrow.

:ybatty:So dah, I just thought to myself to look at pictures of them both.
:yrolleyes:It doesn't seem to be thrush but it does indeed look like an oral ulceration.
I've never seen any this big.:eek:

Off to the doc tomorrow for magic mouth wash. :ylol:

CarolinAlaska

Holding It Together
Poor Grace! I'm so sorry she has to deal with yet another malady. I HATE CROHNS! I hope she finds relief soon. See if you can find some Maalox (if she can take it) to rinse her mouth out with and spit it out (or swallow) while you wait.

Poor Grace! I'm so sorry she has to deal with yet another malady. I HATE CROHNS! I hope she finds relief soon. See if you can find some Maalox (if she can take it) to rinse her mouth out with and spit it out (or swallow) while you wait.

What is Maalox CarolinAlaska ?

CarolinAlaska

Holding It Together
It is a liquid antacid that will coat her mouth and provide temporary relief. They often use it as the base of magic mouthwash solutions.

:ghug::ghug::ghug::ghug:
Poor Grace - I hope the doc can give her something to ease the discomfort - she has enough troubles without adding in more. Hope she feels better soon - sending all of you big hugs xxxxxxxx

Poor Grace! Ulcers on top of everything else!

Could it be foot/mouth disease? It's a virus that younger kids get. Ryan had it and had huge ulcers in his mouth. It can also cause bumps on feet, but Ryan just had the mouth ulcers.

hugs!!