• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Low fiber diet for rest of life

If you could pick one of the following two choices, which would you pick>

1...Stay on a low/no fiber diet for the rest of your life, avoiding all fresh fruits and veggies (which is very unhealthy, of course) and makes it hard to poop.

OR

2...Say screw it and have portions of your intestines removed and hopes that works.

:ybatty:

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
I ve done both but if the first one works..that'd be the one, but I love fruit and veggies, soft fruit and steamed veggies...yum.

Could I have fruits and veggies from a baby food jar? I really am scared of going under the knife. I've heard of too many medical mistakes and wrong body parts taken from the patient.

Nyx

#2...I know I sound like a broken record, but surgery was the best thing that's happened to me in a long time. I can eat whatever I want! Yay me!! lol

Do you have any blockage or stricturing issues? My GI told me to take fibre supplements daily and indefinitely and once my system adjusted to it (took me 3 months of extra bloating and gas but I already had excessiveness of them anyways) til my system adjusted, no more bloating, ever...very little gas, formed stools, less frequency and I can eat ALL fibreous foods without getting all gassy and bloated...

I don't have any stricture or blockage issues though, but fibre supplements are a good alternative for those that do....drink plenty of water with it and start with the smallest amount increasing slowly and only if necessary.

I eat all fruits and veggies, nuts and grains, no issues.

:)

Easy choice for me - #1. I assume I can take some vitamans too?
Surgery is forever. Maybe they will find a cure for this horrible disease one day in the future.

-Joe

Kind of hard for me to answer. I had no reservations about #2 because the darn disease progressed beyond anything that a diet would help with.

From my perspective #1 really doesn't exist.

Diet or surgery?

I would select surgery IF the doc didn't say that the probability of recurrence is 80%+...cut then cut then cut....nothing left to cut....then what? Avoid cutting at all costs....