Crohn's Disease Forum » Parents of Kids with IBD » Picolax - How to get yoiur child to drink it?!

02-11-2013, 09:39 AM   #1
Bubbly

Picolax - How to get yoiur child to drink it?!

We have started on the pre procedure process, how to clear out child!

Had the seno.. this morning, nothing happened yet, just been battling with son to have first Picolax, had tears, sobs, yelling etc, eventually got it down him, but it was a struggle with lots of gagging going on also!

Any suggestions how to make the next one any easier at 6pm?

Meanwhile i am encourgaging him to drink lots of clear fluids and have lemon jelly, but again, struggling with drinking lots, something he struggles with.

Really really need him empty to get the best possible pictures to side what is going on inside.
02-11-2013, 10:08 AM   #2
Tesscorm

My Support Groups:
How about ice chips to 'crunch' on in between drinks?? Good luck!!! I hope all goes well!

Treatment:
May-July 2011 - 6 wks Exclusive EN via NG tube - 2000 ml/night, 1 wk IV Flagyl
July 2011-July 2013 - Supplemental EN via NG, 1000 ml/night, 5 nites/wk, Nexium, 40 mg
Feb. 2013-present - Remicade, 5 mg/kg every 6 wks
Supplements: 1-2 Boost shakes, D3 - 2000 IUs, Krill Oil
02-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #3
Crohn's Mom

My Support Groups:
Deep breaths and lots of patience !

And if that doesn't work, remind him that if he doesn't get cleared out with the next one at 6pm, then all of this was for nothing and he will have to do it all again

Hang in there !
and Austin (18)
DX: Crohn's 7/2013
02-11-2013, 10:45 AM   #4
Maree.
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Also remind him that he has done it once, so you both know that he can do this.

You may not want to tell him this, but my son Liam (age 10) had Barium and Fleets for Colonoscopy Cleanout within a week. He insists the Fleets was much much worse than the Barium, so if you can get this down hopefully that one won't be so bad.

With the Fleets, Liam protested that he was going to throw up. I told him that was fine but could he please throw up on his brother (who he was sharing a chair with at the time) rather than the furniture or the floor as Owen would be easier to hose down. It made him laugh, which broke the tension. If he pulled a face or started gagging we'd tell him to remember he was only allowed to hit Owen and that he'd get bonus points if he got him between the eyes which kept the mood light. I admit it where fairly twisted in our household.
02-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #5
Crohn's Mom

My Support Groups:
Maree omg I'm seriously LMAO!!
That's hysterical!
02-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #6
Sascot
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Wish I had some sage advice, but that stuff is seriously disgusting. I had to have it myself a couple years ago and the thought of that 2nd dose made me feel ill! I suppose if you explain that if he doesn't take it then the chances are he would have to do both all over again another time might help! Could he maybe suck a boiled sweet straight afterwards for a couple minutes and then spit the sweet out again? Good luck!
02-11-2013, 12:21 PM   #7
SarahD

I had to have Picolax and Klean Prep for my scope, and I definitely found the Picolax to be the nicer of the two. My tips would be to drink it cold and use a straw so that it goes straight to the back of his throat to avoid getting as much of the taste in his mouth.

Current meds:
Azathioprine, Allopurinol, Calcichew D3-Forte, Fortijuice, Alendronic acid, Ranitidine

Previous meds:
Augmentin, Doxycycline, Lansoprazole, Asacol, Pentasa, Prednisolone, Entocort, Cipro, Flagyl, Elemental Extra 028
02-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #8
Jmrogers4

We played "drinking" games my 73 year old mother in law came over and we said say every time he got X or if Y happened he would have to drink. Kept his mind on other things. Although I like Maree's suggestion I may have to use that one next time.

Mom to Jack (18) dx Crohn's 2/2010
Remicade - started 1/9/14; 7.5ml/kg every 6 weeks
Past meds: Imuran/Azathioprine; allopurinol; methotrexate; LDN; Prednisone; Apriso; Pentasa; EEN

Husband dx Crohn's 3/1993
currently none due to liver issues
02-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #9
Devynnsmom
Forum Monitor

I agree with the ice chips in between. Thats the only way I got Devynn to drink it. Its awful stuff, but not as bad as the Kleen prep I had to take *shudder* that stuff is like poison!!

Devynn (12 years old) was *unoficially* diagnosed with Crohn's disease in Dec 2009.
That diagnosis was changed to Ulcerative Colitis in Mar 2012.
Pentasa ASA Dec 2009-Mar 2012 (dosage tweaked a couple of times)
Mezavant Mar 2012- Nov 2012
Sulfasalazine-Nov 2012
02-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #10
Bubbly

Thankyou all for advice, all complete and fingers crossed it works! Mind you he hasnt been eating much over the last week, and hasnt had anything since last night, just didnt fancy breakfast this morning, which in someways is good.

The 2nd dose took 40 mins, but managed, no tears this time, we put ice in, and he used a straw, which think helped, we had interval drink, sip of picolax, followed by sip of water, followed by rinse mouth, thats why it took so long, but all gone down and he said that that is the worse part over and done with and not bothered by the NJ tomorrow!!

Long day tomorrow, hospital at 12, then sometime in the afternoon scopes, nurse reckons middle list, approx 3.30pm, so long afternoon, lots of waiting around, think we will be playing chess alot on iPad!!
02-11-2013, 03:08 PM   #11
Devynnsmom
Forum Monitor

Yay!! Glad its all down. That DEF is the hardest part. Good luck tomorrow.
02-11-2013, 06:31 PM   #12
Crohn's Mom

My Support Groups:
Thank goodness it's all down !
And yes, the hard part is now over ~ whew.
Great job!

Good luck tomorrow
02-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #13
CDJ

My Support Groups:
It is good to find this. My son is having to have picolax next Wednesday. He has taken it twice before, but I remember the tears we had trying to get him to take it, so I am going to follow all the tips you have given on here.
02-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #14
Bubbly

All the best, and hope all goes well for next week.

Yes, got there in the end, straws worked, sip from different glasses, all ice added worked well, then when done he went and brushed his teeth and used his mouth wash, then a little later sucket on a clear mint. He has only just finished building his lego, and it helped i think.

Slightly frustrating thing though was that he wasnt 100% clear, not the only one either! Told had to do a small flush to see everything really well, but they think the reason also was because of the bad inflammation and narrowing and re-assured him it wasnt his fault and he had done everything.

He isnt a fan of water so he had the clear fruit shoots (UK) and also iced tea.

Look forward to hearing how it all goes for you
02-15-2013, 04:04 PM   #15
CarolinAlaska
Holding It Together

My Support Groups:
When we did the Miralax clean out, Jae got to where she couldn't drink any more, so I was diluting it half and half with ginger ale (she could have all the clear liquids she wanted) and offering it to her as ginger ale. She drank it fine. Sneaky bad mom! Teehee! It worked...
Osteoporosis/osteopenia, Scoliosis, EDS, Asthma, Epilepsy, Hla B-27 positive, gluten intolerant, thrombophlebitis, c.diff, depression, anxiety, postural tachycardia/POTS and multiple food allergies.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Parents of Kids with IBD » Picolax - How to get yoiur child to drink it?!