Crohn's Disease Forum » Parents of Kids with IBD » Fecal Calprotectin Test

02-13-2013, 03:10 AM   #1
CarolinAlaska
Holding It Together

My Support Groups:
Fecal Calprotectin Test

I thought I posted this earlier, but I can't find it. Can anyone tell me how much stool I need to collect for this test and the best way to go about getting it?
Osteoporosis/osteopenia, Scoliosis, EDS, Asthma, Epilepsy, Hla B-27 positive, gluten intolerant, thrombophlebitis, c.diff, depression, anxiety, postural tachycardia/POTS and multiple food allergies.
02-13-2013, 03:47 AM   #2
Maree.
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I don't know what specific amount is required. Sometimes I think the containers have a mark indicating how full they need to be.

We just looked up "How to take a stool sample on web" there are several links that cover.
eg: http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/how-shou...CategoryID=692
02-13-2013, 04:22 AM   #3
Sascot
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Not really sure about amount, I tend to try have the little pot at least half full. The nurse usually gives us a foil bowl or sick bowl to catch it in, a pair of gloves and a wooden tongue depresser to pick it up with. Lovely!
02-13-2013, 08:18 AM   #4
crohnsinct

My Support Groups:
A hat is an IBD mom's must have. Put it on the toilet and just wait. No last minute running. Works like a charm. If she just pee's dump it and put hat right back in. THey sell them at pretty much any pharmacy.
Vit d 2000IU
Multi vitamin plus iron
Calcium

Previously used - Prednisone, Prevacid, Enteral Nutrition, Methotrexate oral and injections, Folic Acid, Probiotics, Cortofoam

Daughter T dx 1/2/15 at age 11
Vitaligo, Precoscious puberty & Crohn's
Remicade
Vit D 2000IU

Previously used, Exclusive Enteral Nutrition, Methotrexate (injections and oral), Folic Acid, Entocort,IBD-AID Diet
02-13-2013, 08:22 AM   #5
Devynnsmom
Forum Monitor

I posted in your other thread. I try to get it as close to full as I can. Good luck!

Devynn (12 years old) was *unoficially* diagnosed with Crohn's disease in Dec 2009.
That diagnosis was changed to Ulcerative Colitis in Mar 2012.
Pentasa ASA Dec 2009-Mar 2012 (dosage tweaked a couple of times)
Mezavant Mar 2012- Nov 2012
Sulfasalazine-Nov 2012
02-13-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
Clash
Forum Monitor

Ours had a line in the collection bottle and it was almost the top.
dx March 2012 CD

CURRENT MEDS: MTX injections, Stelara

Dx May 2014: JSpA
8/2014 ileocecectomy
9/2017 G tube

PAST MEDS: remicade, oral mtx, humira
02-13-2013, 11:06 AM   #7
CarolinAlaska
Holding It Together

My Support Groups:
Thanks everyone.
02-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #8
CarolinAlaska
Holding It Together

My Support Groups:
I laughed so hard I had tears in my eyes when my husband called me at work to ask me how to get the stool sample. I explained the hat and that the stool needed to be transferred to the collection bottle. When he asked how he was supposed to do it, I told him about the two little sticks in the bag, but then it struck me so funny I couldn't stop laughing! Just picturing him trying to pick up a poop with two little chopsticks...
02-13-2013, 04:13 PM   #9
Devynnsmom
Forum Monitor

Lmao!!!
02-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #10
Jmrogers4

Now I'm laughing because this was my husbands job and he had a handkerchief tied around his face and was scooping it out of the hat and I was standing in the background laughing because it brought home a memory of when Jack was a baby and had just started eating some rice cereal and some baby food. I had to go out and left him home with dad and when I came home to an awful stench and Dad was changing him and had the kerchief tied around his face and just looked at me and said he wont stop pooping. I looked over on the high chair to see an entire jar of prunes gone - he fed him the whole thing! His excuse but he liked it.

Mom to Jack (18) dx Crohn's 2/2010
Remicade - started 1/9/14; 7.5ml/kg every 6 weeks
Past meds: Imuran/Azathioprine; allopurinol; methotrexate; LDN; Prednisone; Apriso; Pentasa; EEN

Husband dx Crohn's 3/1993
currently none due to liver issues
02-13-2013, 04:31 PM   #11
CarolinAlaska
Holding It Together

My Support Groups:
now i'm laughing because this was my husbands job and he had a handkerchief tied around his face and was scooping it out of the hat and i was standing in the background laughing because it brought home a memory of when jack was a baby and had just started eating some rice cereal and some baby food. I had to go out and left him home with dad and when i came home to an awful stench and dad was changing him and had the kerchief tied around his face and just looked at me and said he wont stop pooping. I looked over on the high chair to see an entire jar of prunes gone - he fed him the whole thing! His excuse but he liked it.
lol!
02-13-2013, 04:59 PM   #12
Johnnysmom
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Well now that I think about it, my husband has been missing out on that little treat. Johnny has a fecal cal test next month, I will have to let the hubby field that one. Sadly, I do worry he might do it wrong.
6mp 50mg every day
Allopurinol 50mg -discontinued per new G.I. on 11/01/12
Multi Vitamin
Vitamin D3 1000mg
Prayer
02-13-2013, 11:26 PM   #13
CarolinAlaska
Holding It Together

My Support Groups:
Well now that I think about it, my husband has been missing out on that little treat. Johnny has a fecal cal test next month, I will have to let the hubby field that one. Sadly, I do worry he might do it wrong.
How wrong can he be? It is just scooping some feces into a container, right? It is so worth the reaction!
02-13-2013, 11:40 PM   #14
Maree.
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I left this one to my husband with the first set, he got Liam to do it under supervision. Liam's now had 3 sets of stool tests and is very proficient at this process and is very proficient at the process so I guess I've escaped this one.
02-13-2013, 11:44 PM   #15
CarolinAlaska
Holding It Together

My Support Groups:
Lucky you, Maree! I missed out on the first one too! There are some benefits to being the working mom...

Crohn's Disease Forum » Parents of Kids with IBD » Fecal Calprotectin Test