Crohn's Disease Forum » Parents of Kids with IBD » Doctor in Salt Lake City area?

02-19-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
MomRocksOut

Doctor in Salt Lake City area?

Looking for a GI for my son with Crohn's in the Salt Lake City area. We are wanting someone who is willing to monitor and help get drug free if possible. Currently we have a doctor that thinks drugs are part of life and he doesn't even believe in EN.

Thanks everyone!
Beth

12 yr old son dx Crohn's 6/12
methotraxte 7/12 - 9/12
remicade 8/12 -present
02-19-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
Jmrogers4

Did you check the doctor directory here? http://www.crohnsforum.com/doctor/us/ut/ I don't know if one of them would work for you but hopefully some other SLC area people will be along shortly.

Mom to Jack (18) dx Crohn's 2/2010
Remicade - started 1/9/14; 7.5ml/kg every 6 weeks
Past meds: Imuran/Azathioprine; allopurinol; methotrexate; LDN; Prednisone; Apriso; Pentasa; EEN

Husband dx Crohn's 3/1993
currently none due to liver issues
02-19-2013, 07:52 PM   #3
Crohn's Mom

My Support Groups:
I see JM directed you to the directory here, so I just wanted to say good luck !

Are you talking about going completely drug free? Or just trying EN for short time to get your son into remission ?
Is the Remicade/Mtx combo not working ?

Or is he only on Remicade now ?

EN is normally only used to gain remission, and isn't normally recommended for long term only.
There are quite a few parents here that have used it to induce remission, however, meds are usually highly recommended to maintain it.

Is your current doctor not willing to do even a short term on EN?

best wishes, and sorry for all the questions and no advice
and Austin (18)
DX: Crohn's 7/2013
02-19-2013, 08:11 PM   #4
MomRocksOut

He is only on Remicade now. The methotraxate was causing problems and was stopped. I was interested in EN to help put some weight on my son and hopefully some height.

He grew 1" from August 2011 to June 2012 and gained 1 lb. He's gained 6 lbs over the last 8 weeks since tweeking his diet - eliminated lactose and grains.

He seems to have skin issues the longer he's on Remicade. So, am looking for another maintenance drug.
02-19-2013, 08:26 PM   #5
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Does your son see a dermatologist ?
They can help with the skin issues .
DS has skin issues but so far we have found a mix that seems to help.
Outside of 6-mp or humira there are not alot of other drug options.
En ( formula in addition to food) can be used in addition to remicade or humira or 6-mp
But your child is going to still need a maintenance med.
EEN ( formula - no food) only works similar to pred - it puts people into remission but meds are needed once food is started.
Generally EEN only truly brings remission to kids with mild disease as well.

I wish there was an easy answer but the goal is to keep the inflammation down as much as possible as long possible until they can come up with better drugs.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Parents of Kids with IBD » Doctor in Salt Lake City area?