• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Tumeric

I use it a lot as an anti-inflammatory. Have a tea made from 1 grated fresh turmeric pod and some fresh ginger and freshly squeezed lemon. With all these, its best to do 5 days on 2 days off, and then longer breaks when things settle. I also use it for skin problems (dermatitis etc). Turmeric on its own wont clear a gut issue, but it does help. I'd put it up there with zinc and magnesium. But the key to lowering inflammation is in repair of the epethileum by stopping intestinal permeability, and then repair of mucosa by eating fermentable fibers/resistant starch.

I use it a lot as an anti-inflammatory. Have a tea made from 1 grated fresh turmeric pod and some fresh ginger and freshly squeezed lemon. With all these, its best to do 5 days on 2 days off, and then longer breaks when things settle. I also use it for skin problems (dermatitis etc). Turmeric on its own wont clear a gut issue, but it does help. I'd put it up there with zinc and magnesium. But the key to lowering inflammation is in repair of the epethileum by stopping intestinal permeability, and then repair of mucosa by eating fermentable fibers/resistant starch.
Good morning,

I was advised to give her 1000mg twice a day to help with inflammation. I was told to use it in pill form.

Well if you can get fresh high quality turmeric it will usually be more effective. There is an argument for using liposomal turmeric to get past the gut wall ( Google meriva turmeric) and that might be an idea, but I prefer to use the natural stuff and use more. Fresh turmeric will come with many more metabolites than dried powdered pills. The ideal thing would be not to heat it too much. In other words, the less its tampered with, the better. You can usually find good quality fresh turmeric at health food stores.

Well if you can get fresh high quality turmeric it will usually be more effective. There is an argument for using liposomal turmeric to get past the gut wall ( Google meriva turmeric) and that might be an idea, but I prefer to use the natural stuff and use more. Fresh turmeric will come with many more metabolites than dried powdered pills. The ideal thing would be not to heat it too much. In other words, the less its tampered with, the better. You can usually find good quality fresh turmeric at health food stores.
Thank you for the info

Maya142

Staff member
My kiddos take it. No idea if it helps. We get it from Whole Foods - it's a capsule. There is no way they would ever take fresh tumeric!

I take Curcumin, which comes from Turmeric. Recommended by a naturopath, and my GI doctor was glad to hear it when I told her I was taking it.

Bufford

Tumeric Curcuma has proven itself to help manage my Crohn's. I take a teaspoon of powder and mix it into a glass of water on an empty stomach between breakfast and lunch. Tumeric can interfere with sleep, don't take it in the evening. It helps reduce inflammation improves bowel function and is generally good for the entire body.

It can be taken in various forms, but so far I found that the powdered form has worked for me. I would be interested in trying it whole fresh.

My kiddos take it. No idea if it helps. We get it from Whole Foods - it's a capsule. There is no way they would ever take fresh tumeric!
My daughter is currently doing remicade infusions, mtx,folic, prednisone, and prenatal vitamins with iron and vitamin d. I'm just hesitant about giving her so many different medications. I don't want to cause her any more pain. I feel that this last procedure sent her into a flare. Her inflammation levels went up after she was given a flu shot and has not come down.