• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Couch to 5k

Started the couch to 5k today. It's not pretty, but then it never is. Actually when I finished I was thinking to myself, "Gosh that was a lot easier than I had anticipated." Then I realized I had programmed my watch to do half the workout! :oops:

Anyway here's what square one looks like:

I hope you don't mind if I post my progress here from time to time... keep me honest. How are y'alls workouts going, if you're in a place that you can do that?

Can you explain the couch to 5k program a bit? I've never heard of it
The Couch to 5k is basically a training program to get people who have no fitness or who have lost their fitness up to recommended levels. In two months it trains you up to running a 5k. I think it's an extremely valuable tool in preventing people from getting over enthusiastic and burning themselves out when they decide to "get fit."

You know, when I was on 40mgs of Prednisone and full of energy, I would have considered the couch to 5k... but now that I'm on a measly 7.5 and tapering down... the thought has lost its luster....

Good luck though! and Rock on!

Cheers!

That's excellent going. It's always amazing to see how you progress! I was doing well till I went into hospital. Now I'm scared to do a 20 min run incase I can't make it. I keep putting it off...

That's excellent going. It's always amazing to see how you progress! I was doing well till I went into hospital. Now I'm scared to do a 20 min run incase I can't make it. I keep putting it off...
Try the program! Even if you "can't make it," at least you'll be on the track to getting back there.

I know how unbelievably frustrating it is... Your brain thinks you are capable of so much more than your body because it remembers what you used to be able to do. That's why the program is so important (for me at least) because even if I feel like I can do more, I am making sure I only do what my body is capable of right now.

You know, when I was on 40mgs of Prednisone and full of energy, I would have considered the couch to 5k... but now that I'm on a measly 7.5 and tapering down... the thought has lost its luster....

Good luck though! and Rock on!

Cheers!
Yea I am really not looking forward to tapering. My doc seems to think it will put me in remission and I will stay there, so I'm starting to exercise now and he better be right! I am not going to have another "flare" interrupt my training.

Try the program! Even if you "can't make it," at least you'll be on the track to getting back there.

I know how unbelievably frustrating it is... Your brain thinks you are capable of so much more than your body because it remembers what you used to be able to do. That's why the program is so important (for me at least) because even if I feel like I can do more, I am making sure I only do what my body is capable of right now.
I can still do 15 mins of continuous running so I don't think I need to start again from the beginning lol. I just need to brave it! I was only in hospital for 4 days so I didn't get too side tracked. Was annoying though, because the week before I had done 5k and was about to do my first official 5k before I suddenly got ill! Grr!

I see what you mean though. I've been using micoach which allows me to know I'm not taking things too fast. Sometimes you do really have to push yourself. I'm often capable of doing more than I think I can!

I love love love this idea. I have always been active, even when I was fighting Crohns when I was younger, but for some reason, I have felt drained and have really wanted to get active again, if you dont count 4 kids, work, soccer teams and sooo much more not active. I am starting this on Monday April 11th, it is supposed to be 80 degrees here. i am so excited, thanks for the info. :rof:

I can still do 15 mins of continuous running so I don't think I need to start again from the beginning lol. I just need to brave it! I was only in hospital for 4 days so I didn't get too side tracked. Was annoying though, because the week before I had done 5k and was about to do my first official 5k before I suddenly got ill! Grr!

I see what you mean though. I've been using micoach which allows me to know I'm not taking things too fast. Sometimes you do really have to push yourself. I'm often capable of doing more than I think I can!
Well regardless of what you're capable of, I was trying to say it's OK if you can't "make it." I just mean don't put expectations on yourself to the point where you're not doing anything at all. Just do what you can!

I love love love this idea. I have always been active, even when I was fighting Crohns when I was younger, but for some reason, I have felt drained and have really wanted to get active again, if you dont count 4 kids, work, soccer teams and sooo much more not active. I am starting this on Monday April 11th, it is supposed to be 80 degrees here. i am so excited, thanks for the info. :rof:
Awesome! Post here with your progress so we can keep each other motivated! You're a brave soul to exercise in 80 degree whether though. I would wilt after 15 seconds!

Yeah, I'm pretty good at being hard on myself when it comes to running!

Still, the weather is lovely at the moment so I'm going to aim to give it a try on Saturday evening on Sunday.

Yeah, I'm pretty good at being hard on myself when it comes to running!

Still, the weather is lovely at the moment so I'm going to aim to give it a try on Saturday evening on Sunday.
That sounds nice. Remember to enjoy it. :)

We moved right before the beginning of winter to our new place that's right next to a park with a nice trail (on the big lake outside of Seattle, Lake Washington). Yesterday was the first time I've been able to take advantage of it. It's finally warm enough/staying light out long enough. It was nice and so beautiful! I do appreciate the brisk weather though, I'll be in trouble when it gets warmer.

hawkeye

Staff member
diesanduhr - What model of Garmin do you have to get the printout like that? I am still trying to get back into runnng as I wasn't well earlier in the year. I did 1 km on Saturday.

I was planning on getting out a couple of evenings this week to run but did not. Your post has inspired me to get out for a run tomorrow morning and Sunday morning.

Mark

I have this Garmin watch. It's an older model but a lot of people I knew back when I was more involved with the running community preferred it over the newer ones. I have heard there is a thing called "My Tracks" on smart phones (Android?) that will track where you are in Google Maps. Pretty nuts! I love my Garmin. I usually run with a heart rate monitor too, but I haven't dug that out yet.

I'm glad you are going to go running! I'm glad to hear you are well enough to try getting back into it. It's amazing how significantly being sick can affect our ability to take care of ourselves.

hawkeye

Staff member
diesanduhr- That is the same Garmin that my wife has. I use the forerunner 201 that was a hand me down from her when she bought the 305.

I did 2.14km (a little over 1.25 miles) in 15:05 this morning. I did 3 and 1's (ran for 3 minutes and walked for a minute).

Mark

diesanduhr- That is the same Garmin that my wife has. I use the forerunner 201 that was a hand me down from her when she bought the 305.

I did 2.14km (a little over 1.25 miles) in 15:05 this morning. I did 3 and 1's (ran for 3 minutes and walked for a minute).

Mark
That's awesome! Keep up the good work. :)

Getting stronger... I don't want to go back to skating until I see my doc again. I want to ask if surgery is entirely unreasonable. I would hate to start skating and have my heart broken again by having to stop again.

I really want to do another half marathon for the CCFA but I don't think I could raise the funds. Last time I didn't meet the fundraising minimum and it came out of pocket. Hrm. But I am getting ahead of myself.

I havent figured out how to post my running charts, but I am finishing up my second week and already, even though sorer than ever, am feeling so much stronger and better. Thanks so much for posting this info so that we could enjoy it too. There is a Guts and Glory CCFA 5k in Ocean City NJ that I'm planning to attend and the only thing out of pocket is the $20 registration and then you can get no sponsers or lots.

Also what kind of skating? diesanduhr

I havent figured out how to post my running charts, but I am finishing up my second week and already, even though sorer than ever, am feeling so much stronger and better. Thanks so much for posting this info so that we could enjoy it too. There is a Guts and Glory CCFA 5k in Ocean City NJ that I'm planning to attend and the only thing out of pocket is the $20 registration and then you can get no sponsers or lots.

Also what kind of skating? diesanduhr
That's so great! Let us know on here if you decide to fundraise. I am chugging along in the program. Some days I wake up with so much pain I am hunched over and have trouble walking - I don't run on those days. Hehe.

I have been training to play roller derby. Thus far the league I want to play for has not picked me up, but I know when they do it will feel so good to look back at how much work I put in to get there.

hawkeye

Staff member
I've been sidelined with bronchitis / respratory infection since Tuesday so unfortunately the running is not getting done. I am going to try to get out mid week.

Mark

hawkeye

Staff member
I am feeling better today. I was supposed to be off work Wednesday and Thursday but I ended up going into the office Wednesday morning to finish up a report and doing a bit of work from remotely from home.

That's great you are doing that. My wife and I have recently began running again since the weather is a bit nicer. We are also working towards the 5k. We are using the FIRST (The Furman Institute of Running and Scientific Training) plan. If i ever actually hook up my garmin to my computer we will post our workouts.

That's great you are doing that. My wife and I have recently began running again since the weather is a bit nicer. We are also working towards the 5k. We are using the FIRST (The Furman Institute of Running and Scientific Training) plan. If i ever actually hook up my garmin to my computer we will post our workouts.
Oooh I have never heard of FIRST before, that's neat! I am drawn to it because it includes the word "scientific." :thumleft: Keep us updated on your progress even if you don't connect the Garmin.

W00t just got back from my lunch run, short 2.4 miles, but it felt great to get out and feel the nice weather. Can't run tonight so just used my lunch instead. Anyone useing the Merrell Barefoot shoes? I use the Vibram Five Fingers and need a regular shoe because the military doesn't allow the five fingers any more.

So I'd been a bit naughty and hadn't gone out in nearly a month! Found a nice programme on micoach for getting me back into things and tonight shall be my third run of the week. I forgot how good it feels afterwards!

The nice weather has certainly been helping with my motivation too. As has all the runners I see on my way to and from work.

I agree the weather has shifted me out of the dormant winter mood into I need to get out and get something done!

The running has been great for my wife and I, allows us to talk during the warm up and cool down. Burn some of the frustration of the day's events during the actual workout. Now I need to add in some weight lifting and will be set IF i can stick with it for longer than six weeks.

I find it so hard to run with other people. They're either too fast for me to keep pace with, or too slow. How do you do it?!

Well i am quite a bit faster than my wife...I run about a 7:50/mile she is like a 9:30-10:00/mile. We warmup at her ten then work up to an 8min/mile. That way I don't kill her and make it so its not fun for her.

Also during the slower runs i just try and get my form and breathing down. If you have a dog you can let the slower person take the dog because more often then not the dog will pull helping the slower person keep pace.

Yeeeeeow!! My hamstrings are and back are killin me today. Wife and I went and did a yoga class, besides P90x I had never done any type of yoga. It was very different from the P90x version. Most definitely a good workout though.

I am having trouble motivating. I have been absolutely exhausted the last few days, I've usually been crawling into bed after work. I bought some new running shoes hoping to nip that knee pain in the bud.

Glad to see you guys are keeping it up. :)

hawkeye

Staff member
I just got in from a 4.3k (2.6 mi) run (walked a bit of it as it wasn't a flat course). The running is getting better.

Great job all! I have a run tonight i am not motivated at all for, so gonna head over to that motivational thread look at some pics and hopefully get my mind into the right gear! Going for 2.5miles tonight, will let you know how it goes.

Just finished my run for today. It always amazes me how I manage to forget how hard running is and how much determination it takes to keep going, before each run!!

I guess it's because after I've cooled down, I feel amazing and like I could do it all over again.

Still, I'm thinking the mental challenge of running is giving my mental health a good work out too!

Also, I find that seeing people running, either while I'm out and about or on video clips helps keep me motivated. :)

Just finished my run for today. It always amazes me how I manage to forget how hard running is and how much determination it takes to keep going, before each run!!

I guess it's because after I've cooled down, I feel amazing and like I could do it all over again.

Still, I'm thinking the mental challenge of running is giving my mental health a good work out too!

Also, I find that seeing people running, either while I'm out and about or on video clips helps keep me motivated. :)
Yup, yesterday after work I most definitely did not want to run, but i put on the running clothes and the vibrams and out we went. It was great, the weather was perfect and my wife and I picked up the pace and got a good workout in.

Good job in getting out there, that's half the battle, once you get your lifestyle into a pattern then you will feel bad when you don't go running.

Good Luck and keep it up!

Yup, yesterday after work I most definitely did not want to run, but i put on the running clothes and the vibrams and out we went. It was great, the weather was perfect and my wife and I picked up the pace and got a good workout in.

Good job in getting out there, that's half the battle, once you get your lifestyle into a pattern then you will feel bad when you don't go running.

Good Luck and keep it up!
Ah going out for a run after work is definitely the hardest!! Glad you both managed to do it though!

Yeah I've been running since last August now and have been pretty determined. I used to go out in the rain and even did quite a few runs in the snow. Ice was the only thing that stopped a couple of runs and then my hospital stay really messed up my training! Glad I'm getting back into it.

It's just a shame that I'm primarily getting fit before my major op later this year. I want to be as fit as possible to prevent complications and to speed up my recovery. I'm thinking that getting back into running after the op will be my hardest challenge yet though! I'm determined that I want to do a 5k race and even possibly a 10k depending on when my surgery is.

hawkeye

Staff member
I'm determined that I want to do a 5k race and even possibly a 10k depending on when my surgery is.
I just started running a year ago and found that setting a goal to do a race is a great motivator. I am registered for a 5k race next weekend. My New Year's resoultion was to run a 10K this year but unfortunately with the winter weather and being sick, I may be a bit off track on the resoultion so I may have to shoot for an 8K (5 miler) instead.

Mark

Last edited:
I just started running a year ago and found that setting a goal to do a race is a great motivator. I am registered for a 5k race next weekend. My New Year's resoultion was to run a 10K this year but unfortunately with the winter weather and being sick, I may be a bit off track on the resoultion so I may have to shoot for an 8K (5 miler) instead.

Mark
Luckily for me there is a 5k race every Saturday morning near me. So when ever I'm ready I can go for it. It's free too which is an added bonus! I don't remember if I said earlier in this thread, but I was about to do it in February but landed up in the hospital instead. Doh!

Good luck for next weekend! Let us know how you do :)

hawkeye

Staff member
Thanks. I am still working my way back up to 10 and 1's (running 10 min and walking a min) in my training so I don't have my heart set on a spectacular finish time. Although, the race is on an airport runway so it will be quite a bit flatter than my normal running routes as of late in my neighbourhood.

Haha how weird! Running on my local airport's runway would certainly be a bad idea!

I did read somewhere that even hardcore runners do tactical walks as you can actually improve your overal time by doing so. I think they walked for a minute every mile. It basically allows your legs to use other muscles and let your running muscles rest and allows them to be stronger for the entire run therefore improving your time than if you'd run the entire way. It also improves your mental strength if you know you can rest again in another mile.

Some people would rather run the whole way, but I think as long as you get there, anything that helps is an bonus!

hawkeye

Staff member
I think it's going to be a neat event, it's billed as a unique opportunity to run either a 1 lap or 2 lap race on the actual Runway and Taxiways of the airport and a course that is flat, fast and traffic free. Interestingly, the runway is not technically closed it is just a 2 hourish window between flights.

The training program I followed is based on the 10 minute run, 1 minute walk. The 1 minute walk apparently works as a break and allows the leg muscles a bit of stretch.

I did 4.5 k this morning. It was hard to get going, but once I got the first kilometre in, it went better.

Last edited:
It does sound like a unique opportunity!

You're doing really well then. I always think the first mile of running is always the hardest. It takes a while for my muscles to get into it. What kind of time are you aiming for? I really want to do my first 5k in under 30 mins.

hawkeye

Staff member
I am hoping for a time between 30 and 40 minutes.

My first event last July was a 2.6 miler (4.2 km) that I did in 27:04 (I suprised myself and placed 2nd out of 8 in my age category). I did a 5K on New Year's Eve in about 35 minutes after rarely running between mid-November and New Years.

I think doing your first 5k in under 30 minutes is quite good.

lol thanks Mark, I still have to get there first haha.

Well done for doing your 5k on New Years eve in that time. I don't think I could manage 5k at all without any serious training! I think you may end up surprising yourself again :)

After working in the yard all day and intalling fence posts was really not wanting to run, but we pushed ourselves and got 2.4 miles done. My wife has improved tremendously in the four weeks we have been running/walking.

This morning I rode my bike to work, its only about 4 miles but I have to wear nice dress clothes so stuffing them in a backpack doesn't make them look too good. Oh well! Biking will definitely help with strength and endurance.

lol one of my friends (who is doing a phd in strength and conditioning and is very fit) suggested I cycle to work! I think he's having a laugh. It's 16 miles and very hilly. Not to mention the extremely unpredictable weather we get here.

But anyway. My 'easy' run tonight was a lot harder than expected.. I'm putting it down to not being hydrated enough, but still did some hard core resistance work after. I've deserved my dinner today!

ugh if I had 16 miles to go then I would have to get a road bike. I use my mtn bike currently. We have one employee that rides in pretty much every weather except for snowstorms. He rides a 34 miles one way!

That is really crazy. But credit to him!

Even if I was really fit, I don't think it would be safe to cycle it. It's either city centre driving- don't know if you've ever been to England, but our roads are MUCH smaller than in the states. Then there's a huge hilly duel carriage way where people drive like 90mph.

I think I'll stick to my car and running after work!

umm yeah that sounds a bit crazy. He has trails that are built especially for walkers/cyclists for the most part. Here in Colorado we have a lot of roads with a bike lane because of the outdoorsy types we have.

The program my wife and I are doing is definitely getting tougher. She is handling it well though, we are now up to walking for 10 min warmup then running for 3 min walking for 1 minute. We have been doing this in sets of 4 now its up to 5. Then a 10 min cooldown walk. Its great to see her improve the way she has. Hope your workouts are all going well!

I am having a lot more pain tapering off the Pred so I haven't been running. I'm still reading this thread though, you guys are inspiring me.

Astra

Lotsa good luck diesanduhr!

I think all you runners are fab!

Me?
I can do the couch to the chair, and then I hyperventilate.

lol Joan. I used to be the same. Believe me, I thought people were crazy for CHOOSING to exercise.

Now look at me! My dad still doesn't believe it when I put on my running shoes and go out the door.

hawkeye

Staff member
I managed to get 2.4 km in tonight after work. Had to call it off early as the shins / calves did not feel right. First half decent night all week weatherwise (no rain).

hawkeye

Staff member
I did the 5km runway run at the local airport today and completed it in 34:10.

I am quite pleased with my time, my runs this week were hard and I was expecting to come in at closer to 40 minutes. I ended up taking a few walk breaks so the overall pace was 6:50/kilometre (about 11 minutes/mile).

Well done!! That's really good! You must be happy. Are your legs aching now?

My running the latter half of the week has been slacking.. I get so tired when I get home from work. I've been having heart palpitations too. Hope I'm not getting anaemic again. grr

hawkeye

Staff member
The only part of the legs that are sore are the calves. Some calf raises will be good to strengthen them as it is the only part of the leg that has been sore lately.

The run was great, it was quite fast. I looked down at my GPS and I was running between a 5 and 6 minute kilometre at times so along with working on the endurance to get to the 10 and 1's I have to work on watching my pace.

I find runnng in the evenings after work hard as well. One strategy I find that works is to run as soon as possible when I get home from work and of course good weather helps too. he

Yeah, my calves and shins are finding it the hardest to get back into running. They are so stiff when I get home that I can hardly pull my feet back.

Yeah, I think I'm going to try and remember to take a snack to work to eat before I leave so I'm not starving when I get home. I'd drink some energy drink too but they make me feel anxious and I stopped taking them after I nearly had a caffeine overdose after an unfortunate incident lol.

Glad you had a good time! What's your next goal?

hawkeye

Staff member
The next goal racewise is a 2.5 miler here in July. They are doing it over 3 years (this is the second year - I ran the first one last year) and the three medals fit together. I ran it last year as my first event. It will probably be my wife's first event post-pregnancy.

After that I'll probably do a 5 miler later in the summer or in the fall.

I did the 5km runway run at the local airport today and completed it in 34:10.

I am quite pleased with my time, my runs this week were hard and I was expecting to come in at closer to 40 minutes. I ended up taking a few walk breaks so the overall pace was 6:50/kilometre (about 11 minutes/mile).
Great work! Keep it up. :)

Great job all, we haven't been running in the past few days because I was at drill Thursday-Sunday so no time to go running. Wife went and visited the parents so pretty much impossible to run while doing that.

Tonight though!!! We will get back into it, plus I have to catch up on yard work that didn't get done over the weekend since nobody was home :(

Recently I have lost my appetite so I have begun losing weight that I can't afford to. In three days I lost six pounds :( Had to go to the Docs to check my automated WBC from the Imuran. Its really low so I have to get it checked again this week and hopefully it has stabilized. Still in some pain, but better than before on the lower dosage of Imuran.

I hope your WBCs have stabilized and you find your appetite again. I'm amazed you can still run and even think about yard work. Hope you feel better.

I am hoping *fingers crossed* to make it out to run tonight. So far not too much pain... I was home alone all day yesterday and after almost three days of no bathroom I made up for it in a hurry... it was rough but I felt a lot better. I'm guessing things got "stuck" at my TI and then finally made it through all at once. Or is this just standard constipation (never been constipated so I don't know what it is?) Well that was a tangent.

It has been a while (according to my Google doc, exactly two weeks) since I last ran... not sure what part of the program to insert myself at. Probably going to try the more challenging and I can back off if I need to.

Edit - I made this post so you guys would keep me honest. I'll have to check in on whether I get out tonight. :p

Diesandhur, sorry OT, but what happened to the rest of your signature? I really loved it and was going to write it down. Where is it from?

Oh, haha, I just thought maybe it was too long/repetitive. I think it's really beautiful and I can appreciate the sentiment. I am also basically in love with Dessa and all of her work.

There's a music video on youtube here. Here are the complete lyrics:

I'm building a body
From balsam and ash
I'm building a body with
No god attached.

I'm building a body
From blueprints in Braille
I'm building a body
where our design has failed.

There's a book full of plans
at the feet of poor Atlas
Titled 'For Man'
But the architects
Only drew blanks,
Now there's nowhere to go
But go back, go back,
Go back, go back.

1.45. Ouch! I was slow, I thought I was fast. But at least I got out there.

Does anyone else yawn uncontrollably while they run? So annoying.

I'm at the point where I don't really care how slow I am as long as I make it! The more I stick at it, the faster I'll (hopefully!) get.

I yawn a bit at the start of my runs sometimes but nothing uncontrollably! Is it something that's always happened?

LtHuff, don't be too hard on yourself, esp if you're not feeling overly great. I feel a bit bad that I'd actually like to lose 6lbs on my own! I only ever lose weight when I'm ill.

Oh, haha, I just thought maybe it was too long/repetitive. I think it's really beautiful and I can appreciate the sentiment. I am also basically in love with Dessa and all of her work.

There's a music video on youtube here. Here are the complete lyrics:

I'm building a body
From balsam and ash
I'm building a body with
No god attached.

I'm building a body
From blueprints in Braille
I'm building a body
where our design has failed.

There's a book full of plans
at the feet of poor Atlas
Titled 'For Man'
But the architects
Only drew blanks,
Now there's nowhere to go
But go back, go back,
Go back, go back.
Thank you! :hug: How are you doing? What's happening with the Pred taper?

Well didn't want to but my wife and I made it out there last night. She didn't think she was going to be able to finish but she pulled it through. I have slowed our pace down so I don't injure her. We got in 2.69 miles in 36 minutes. Last week it was 2.3 in 36 minutes so a good boost! (We didn't take the dog this time and it was SOOO much easier to run without her)

I don't yawn, but I get bored really quickly. I would much rather be mountain biking, but i get off work too late to be able to go to a trail and make it home for dinner at a relatively decent time.

hawkeye

Staff member
I don't yawn uncontrollably either.

No run today, I went into work at 8 AM and am just getting home at midnight.

8 till midnight?! OUCH.

I went for my run after work last night and it was great. Glad I did it. Eating a bread roll before I left work was also a very good idea.

Also glad I don't have a planned run for tonight because I am SO tired today.

Ugh gotta run tonight, but the weather is crappy right now. Hopefully it will clear up by tonight.

If you're tired, just go for a short walk it may re-juvenate you!

hawkeye

Staff member
8 till midnight?! OUCH.

I went for my run after work last night and it was great. Glad I did it. Eating a bread roll before I left work was also a very good idea.
Yep, usually in at the office for 8, put the coffee on and line up he desk for the day, start work at 8:30 and work until 4:30. Last night we had our monthly meeting from 5 until 11:15-11:30 (usually wraps up will by 8:30 or 9)so got home at 12 AM. My longest day since leaving consulting.

Went for a run tonight but only did a mile before my calves started to hurt, maybe time to rest up for a bit and do some strengthening.

Glad to a snack in the afternoon worked for energy for the run.

Went for a run tonight but only did a mile before my calves started to hurt, maybe time to rest up for a bit and do some strengthening.
I woke up today with the same problem, calves are way tight and I wasn't even able to run last night because it was pouring down rain. Must have ran in my dreams or something because yeow!

That's the weird thing with my legs. My calves and shins feel so tight when I run, but the next day it's my thighs that ache. So weird.

But the sun was out today and I managed another after work run. Woooo! PLUS I was taking it easier and yet my stats were better than the last time I did that run. Loving it.

That's the weird thing with my legs. My calves and shins feel so tight when I run, but the next day it's my thighs that ache. So weird.

But the sun was out today and I managed another after work run. Woooo! PLUS I was taking it easier and yet my stats were better than the last time I did that run. Loving it.
Yay! Oh man that's the best.

I always tell myself that these are training runs and I don't need to be competitive with myself but I can't help it. I need to see improvement in basically every run. :p

I don't look at run to run, but within a run i will try and make each quarter mile faster than the one before. Just in case i have a bluh day I won't feel as bad as long as i improve throughout the run.

This is of course a sick side effect of allowing myself a Garmin. If I didn't use that thing I would have no idea if I'm improving or worsening or staying the same. I'd like, just be running. :p

This is of course a sick side effect of allowing myself a Garmin. If I didn't use that thing I would have no idea if I'm improving or worsening or staying the same. I'd like, just be running. :p
That's very true. I remember i would just run and feel like i am flying, look down at my watch and see a 10min mile...doh! I do recommend anyone who runs/bikes to get something to track their heart rate and if you can afford it the gps. There are a lot of used ones on craigslist and ebay.

hawkeye

Staff member
I like the Garmin. It's a great pacing tool.

I was having a great run last night pace and endurance wise, but for the calves. Given that I only got mile into the run, I think I will take a few days off to see if that helps.

I would of given running up a LONG time if it wasn't for my iphone + micoach. The GPS is so handy! Plus my iphone at the time was free on my contract and the app is free. So all I needed to get going was to buy some running shoes. Much cheaper than a gym membership!

Just found out that from the 31st May, my daily commute is going to be at least an hour and 10 mins drive each way. Worried as to the impact this is going to have on my running :/ Not to mention my fuel consumption lol.

hawkeye

Staff member
Just found out that from the 31st May, my daily commute is going to be at least an hour and 10 mins drive each way. Worried as to the impact this is going to have on my running :/ Not to mention my fuel consumption lol.
An hour and 10 minutes, ouch, does this include waiting in traffic? Can you run on your lunch hour, even if it is a short run?

It's interesting to see what different people have for commutes, when we were looking at houses, the commute was a consideration. We could have had a 20 kilometre / 20 minute (30-40 min with heavy traffic), but ended up buying in the city with about a 6 kilometre / 10 minute commute.

An hour and 10 minutes, ouch, does this include waiting in traffic? Can you run on your lunch hour, even if it is a short run?

It's interesting to see what different people have for commutes, when we were looking at houses, the commute was a consideration. We could have had a 20 kilometre / 20 minute (30-40 min with heavy traffic), but ended up buying in the city with about a 6 kilometre / 10 minute commute.
No, it doesn't include traffic! It's either that or drive to where I work now which is 40 mins away and then get a lift with my co worker which would be another 45 mins. So I would still have to add 40 mins to both ends of my work day.

Don't think I'll be able to run during lunch as I usually only take half an hour and I don't want to go back into the office in the afternoon looking like a lobster and being all sweaty! lol.

That's ok for you then! My new commute is going to be to a client. Orginally the idea was that I'd split my time between working there and working remotely here, but the client has no way of me to work remotely. ARRGGHHH

Aye an hour and 10 minutes is not fun. My old job if there wasn't any traffic it was 50 minutes and when we had traffic (which was all the time) i ranged from 1 hour to 1 hour and 40 minutes. With my new job its 15 min.

The effect on your run will be noticeable, especially if you try to go after work. You may want to see if you can get up early enough to do it before work?

Yeah, I thought about the morning. The only problem with that (minus the whole having to be VERY motivated when dragging myself out of bed) is that there's no way I can run on a completely empty stomach. Neither can I run when I've just eaten, obviously. So I'd have to get up, have a small snack and then wait half an hour till I go on my run. 8pm bed times, here I come!

Well.. we'll see how it goes. Maybe if I go with my co worker I could run when we get back here before I drive home.

We ran 2.75 miles last night in 35 min. Wife's pace is slowing down :( Having a hard time keeping her motivated. Now we go out of town for 6 days and will have to run while seeing her parents, attending a wedding and a graduation. Will be tough but i think we can do it.

My biggest fear is that I head off to some training for 6 weeks in Arizona and she probably won't continue with what we started. Any suggestions on how to keep her motivated and sticking with the workout?

Hi LTHuff - Could your wife find a running partner while you are away? I've always found it's easier to stick with something when someone else is relying on you. :) Maybe you could find a couple people to join you while you run so when you leave they'll already have some sort of routine together.

I've been entertaining the idea of running for a long time and never got started. Mostly it's because we haven't had the money to invest in some decent shoes. Both of our pairs of sneakers are worn out, and form everything I've read your running shoes should be separate from your casual shoes anyway. Anyone have any suggestions for good shoes within a limited budget? I don't necessarily need the latest designer shoes, but I also want to get quality shoes that last for a reasonable amount of time and don't injure me.

Today my husband and I are going to do the first day of the Couch to 5K program. We haven't entirely committed to doing the program, but I felt like running today, so we're going to try it out. I'm hoping it sticks because I could sure use to lose at least 5 lbs. I've reached a weight this past month that I've never been before and it depresses me how I look in a lot of my clothes. We had been going to the gym for a couple months and have been slacking for the past month and a half. It just seems like it takes more effort to get in the car and drive 15 min. to the gym when we could be biking/walking/running on the trails 5 min. from our place.

So, we'll see how it goes! My only annoyance with working out outside is the need for bug spray!

Good luck with the program. I hope you keep it up!

LtHuff - It has been my experience that you can't motivate anyone but yourself. She has to be the one to take the initiative and have the interest. Even if her pace is slowing down encourage her to keep going and be supportive. She's still out there, even if she's a bit slower! No need for a frowny face. :D

While you are at training, will you have the internet? I started the Couch to 5k with a friend a few hours away and kept track of my runs in a Google doc we could both edit. It was pretty satisfying to color in my cell for the day and write how far I'd gone. She didn't commit to it so my own interest in it waned, but it might work for you?

Congrats on trying it out, Marissa! I was very poor when I started running and I got a pair of decent running shoes on amazon for £30. I'd look up what that was in $, but I'm at work. I love them! I was reluctant to spend the money incase I didn't keep up the running. But 9 months on and I'm still getting my money out of them! You're right though. Don't run in everyday trainers. Running shoes feel so comfy when running and they'll help you to avoid injuring yourself.

I also started running to lose weight but also to get me fit. It didn't work though (on the weight loss). Instead my legs and bum got super toned. It's only since I started cutting down a lot on what I've been eating (and keeping up with the running) that I've started to lose weight. I lost 2lbs last week and I'm hoping to keep it up!

Have a good run!