• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Just got a juicer - any ideas?

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Even though I'm not feeling all that well, I forced myself to get out of the house today (had to anyway, I was getting low on TP!). So, I saw a sign for a garage sale on my way to the store, and I stopped to take a look around. I found a juicer that was marked $15, and I talked the lady down to $10. It's a Jack Lalanne model.

So, I'm asking for ideas and help. I've never "juiced" before and am not quite sure what to do. For one thing, since it was a garage sale juicer, it didn't come with instructions, although I'll do an internet search on how to work this thing. Other juicers, what do you recommend? Once I figure out how to work this thing, what should I make with it? Recipes, ideas? Help a newbie out!

ameslouise

Hey Cat - there's a bunch of juicing threads from a couple months ago in this section - scroll down a few pages and you should be able to find them easy enough.

I'll admit I don't juice very often at all. But my favorite thing to make is carrot salad. Juice a bunch of carrots and the pulp leftover at the end, that you would normally discard, makes a great salad. It has the consistency of canned tuna fish. Mix in a litte mayo and season to taste with salt and pepper, throw in a little diced celery. It's really good! And so easy to digest because it's totally pulvarized.

Good luck! - Amy

ameslouise

It was a Boston Cream cake with strawberries on top. It was delicious - I think... (do ya see the wine bottles there, too??)

Ha, ha Ames. I don't know who looks sweeter - you or the strawberry cake!! You are looking so well and long may it last.
Cat. congrats on the juicer - real bargain at that price. I've been toying with the idea of getting one as I can't get true unsweetened juice on the island. I'll wait to see how you get one with yours :)

Astra

Hey Amy! fab photo!

Hiya Cat

I've got a juicer too, rarely use it now, juice gave me the trots!
I intend to introduce it back into my diet soon.
My favourite was carrots, apples, cucumber and celery and ice!
Good luck with it, take it slow at first
xxx

rygon

Ive just made one with carrots apples and celery. The celery is very strong tasting so will only need a stick or two.

3x Apples and a small handful of blueberries works well.

Made another with 3x apples, 2x nectarines and 4x strawberries and that was really nice.

If you put into google the make and model you should be able to find a manual for it

I bought this book which has some good juices in http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Pyramid...9168/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1306149613&sr=8-8

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Joan, that was my concern too - store bought juice usually goes right through me too. But I figured, for only $10 it's worth a try to make my own juice and see if that sits a bit better. And if it doesn't, my mom said she would take my juicer, so either way it won't go to waste.

Grumble, I'll keep you posted on how I like it! Haven't had a chance to make anything with it yet, but got it all cleaned and figured out how to put it together, and it seems pretty simple to operate. Lots of pieces though so cleanup may be a chore.

Very interested in tracking this thread. I got an itch in me over the past weekend to get a kick butt blender and juicer. The best juicer I've seen is the Jack LaLanne one, Kudos to your find for 10 bucks my friend.

I think there's a lots of value for juicing/blending fruit and smoothies to benefit our overall health. I always buy fruit/vegetables to snack on, but they always go to waste because I forget about them or just don't have an urge for it. Whereas smoothies are always freaking good.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
I was thinking about getting a juicer. Did you whip anything up today, Cat? I would like to hear if you'd recommend one or not.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Jill, I haven't juiced anything yet as I spent the last of my cash on the juicer and toilet paper yesterday! My hubby just got back from a trip out of town and he doesn't work today and I think he has some money, so I asked him to go to the store and buy "something we can stick in the juicer". It'll be interesting to see what he comes home with! Even if hubby buys something totally weird, I'm pretty sure we have carrots and I want to try Amy's carrot salad. So I will probably whip up some carrot juice and pack the carrot salad in tomorrow's lunch. I'll keep you posted on how it goes! :)

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Update: Okay, so I think my hubby likes the juicer even more than I do! He just made juice for the 3rd time tonight. The first time, we threw in like 5 carrots and an apple for sweetness. The juice was good and we saved the pulp to make Amy's carrot salad. And that was really good! Thanks for the idea Amy! :) Then later we made juice with apple & mango. That was okay but the apple overpowered the mango and I could only taste apple. Then, hubby made himself juice with just apples. He was so proud, he said, "I just drank two apples!" Ha ha.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Okay, I'm eating Amy's carrot salad in my lunch, using the pulp from the juiced carrots. It's good! It's weird though too. For one thing I'm not used to eating something so bright orange, I look at my sandwich and my brain goes, "Is that really food?" And also, my hubby said that the texture of the carrot salad is similar to a bologna salad thing that he used to eat when he was a kid. That grosses me out. So I'm trying not to think about the color or the similarity to bologna spread! Once I get past those things though, it's pretty good!

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Thanks for the update! I love the idea of getting in so many fruits and veggies minus all the stuff that upsets us Crohnies.

I've got to get one!

ameslouise

Hahaha Cat - about the color of the salad -I hear ya! It comes out even brighter than an actual carrot, however that's possible. It's like neon orange! I think the consistency is more like tuna fish. I like it on crackers as a spread.

Good for you with the juicing, though, and I hope you keep it up. Sounds like you've already gotten your ten bucks worth!

- Amy

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Another update: Used the juicer again last night. I had to run to the store to get a few things, and hubby asked me to get "the biggest bag of carrots they have" since he loves the carrot salad! I got a 2 lb bag of carrots and he juiced most of them. I love drinking carrot juice (hubby added one apple for sweetness, since just carrots on their own aren't particularly sweet). It tastes like drinking liquid health! :) So, a 2 lb bag of carrots cost less than $2 and made enough juice for 2 relatively large glasses. And no added sugar or anything, so I'm quite pleased with that! Hubby said that he was on a vitamin high from drinking the juice. It's awesome, I'm loving my juicer! My only complaint so far is that there's a fair amount of clean-up involved. There are 6 or 8 pieces to disassemble from the unit. The good news is, it looks like all the parts are dishwasher safe, so we just rinse them and stick them in the dishwasher.

Oh, and I should mention this - store bought juices usually give me the runs. It must be the added sugar or something though, because so far I haven't had any problems at all with the juice we've made at home! It sits well in my tummy and hasn't caused cramping or d or anything. I'm very happy about that! :D

That's awesome to hear Cat. Thanks for all the updates. I love apple juice and it would impact me very negatively, store bought anyway. So this gives me hope.

Are you able to put ice into the juicer to make smoothy type deals? Or is it just straight up juice. Cause I was thinking of getting a juicer and a good blender. Juice, then put Juice in blender with ice to make a smoothy.

Another thing I've read about doing this and the kind of raw food diet is that there's so many vitamins that you normally won't get that it curbs your appetite and the little you consume goes a lot farther than consuming a big meal.

Thanks again Cat.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Dale, the juicer I've got doesn't seem to be able to make smoothies (still haven't googled the instruction booklet, I should probably do that). We've been adding crushed ice to the juice to make it nice and cold though. I do have a blender but it's not very good, I bought it when I was in college and I know it was cheap. I've made smoothies in my blender in the past so I suppose I could make juice in the juicer and then stick it in the blender with some ice. I'll try that soon and let you know how it goes.

With regard to the apples, I normally HATE apple juice from the store and always have, I've never liked applesauce or apple pie or really anything made from apples. However, I actually like apple juice made from fresh apples in my juicer! It tastes different from store-bought juice, it tastes really fresh and good. I wish I could describe it better but suffice to say that it's so much better than store-bought apple juice! My husband knows that I usually hate apples and he was absolutely shocked when I drank apple juice fresh from the juicer. He even warned me that the carrot juice he made yesterday had some apple in it - I drank the whole thing happily, it was great! So if you like regular store-bought apple juice, you really must try it from a juicer!

Other juicers, what do you recommend?
Well done for picking up a cheap 2nd hand juicer. Mine cost equivalent to US$250.00, but worth every cent.

I have just had a cup of juice: 4 carrots, half a lime and a small knob ginger. I have found that strained carrot juice really settles me during a UC flare, as it helps stop diarrhea. Plus I just drink it for pleasure too, as I like the taste.

If I am not flaring, I also add oranges: 4 carrots, 2 oranges, half a lemon and a small knob ginger.

Pomegranate and watermelon is very refreshing but watermelon tends to make my UC flares worse, so I only drink it occasionally. Besides that, removing the bitter white pith from the red pomegranate seed is a laborious and fiddly job.

I also really love: celery, spinach, cucumber, lemon, ginger and apple. Also: celery, beetroot, cucumber and apple

Just make it up as you go along. And as you become braver, use less fruit and increase the vegetables. As vegetable juice is much better for you healthwise.

My other-half was a bit iffy about me spending so much on a juicer, BUT I can't keep him away from it. :biggrin: He loves it. He use to come home on a Friday night with a six pack of beer. Now he comes home with a bag of organic carrots!

Lots of experimenting is the key.

J - store bought juice usually goes right through me too.
Store brought juice goes right through me too, as its either too sweet or far too acidic.

Just take homemade juice slowly in the beginning and experiment. Beetroot juice is renowned to "get things moving", so maybe not the best idea in the beginning. Orange juice is not recommended for Crohns, but I can tolerate it in small doses. Celery juice is strong and fantastic for hangovers or dehydration, but best to dilute it with cucumber juice in the early experimenting stages. Carrot juice tends to be very settling, helps with diarrhea and settles upset stomachs.

You may want to get a small sieve and totally sieve out the fibre, as it still gets through in some juicers.

The general juice recommendation for C & UC is: carrots, cucumbers, celery, cabbage, spinach, wheatgrass, and other similar leafy greens and dark green vegetables. Green juices are especially helpful for C & UC but they are something you will need to build up to, as they can be pretty powerful and full-on taste wise.

I am now vegetable juice fasting once a month under naturopathic care:

http://www.knowyourgut.com/the-miracle-of-juice-fasting-for-colitis-and-ibs/

Plus drinking the juice daily, as part of my diet for management of UC.

If I do eat something bad and get pain, at least I know I can survive for a few days quite happily on a fast of vegetable juice, potassium broth, caffeine-free herbal teas and pure water, until I feel better again. This combination works fantastic for cold / flu viruses too.

In regards to juicer instructions, you should be able to find and download a user manual online, or just email the company and ask them to email you a copy of the manual for your particular model.

Last edited:
I have at least one green juice daily. I usually make a base juice of either oranges pineapple (both great if you can tolerate them), carrot and apple or pears then add whatever kind of soft green leafy veg I have in the fridge. Spinach is great, kale, cabbage and sometimes lettuce though it can have a strong taste. I started by adding just a handful of spinach with OJ but now I'm used to it I might have a 200g bag in there!

It really will be trial and error to see what you like and more importantly what likes you so as others have said keep a food diary so you can identify things that don't agree.

It's also great to add fruit juice to bananas and blend them for a lovely smoothie.

A couple of good sites for juice ideas are www.juicemaster.com and www.goneraw.com

Have fun - I'm so envious that you've got a Jack Lalanne juicer for that price :)

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Miss Spencer, my husband is the same way - I think he likes the juicer even more than I do! I plan on picking up some lemons to make lemon juice for him, as he just had a kidney stone removed and is keen on not having any more stones form (we were told lemon juice or anything citrus except for grapefruit is good for preventing future stones). And I love your idea about adding ginger, I am going to pick up some fresh ginger and try adding that to my juices! I love ginger, it works really well for me at relieving nausea.

And thanks Miss Spencer and Sunluvva for the links! I will check them out. :)

Cat,

My mom always made me carrot juice when I was growing up. It was good because I couldn't eat raw veggies normally, so that is how I could get them in. Happy juicing!

-Karissa

I plan on picking up some lemons to make lemon juice for him, as he just had a kidney stone removed and is keen on not having any more stones form (we were told lemon juice or anything citrus except for grapefruit is good for preventing future stones). And I love your idea about adding ginger

Yes, the ginger root really helps to add an added depth of flavour. I use organic ginger, as it packs a much more powerful punch than conventionally grown. Turmeric root is also a very nice touch.

Lemon is like spinach – you need to start slowly. I literally started off with a small wedge of lemon as a way to balance the overpowering intense flavour of my green juices. And I increased the amount of lemon as time went on. But I now add half or a whole lemon to the green juices as a component of the juice in its own right.

I don’t know anything about kidney stones, but I do know that lemon juice in warm water first thing is highly recommended by naturopaths, as it helps stimulate a sluggish liver.

Last time I had a sore throat, I made my own homemade lemsip. I juiced one whole lemon. I used an organic lemon, so I also put the peel through the juicer. I also juiced one peeled orange with pith intact. And added a small knob of peeled ginger root. Once I had the juice, I gently heated it in a saucepan on the stove. Never use a microwave to heat, as it will zap all the nutrients. Just gently heat until its warmed through. I then added a teaspoon of active manuka honey and stirred through until the honey had dissolved. And slowly sipped this wonderful concoction. I woke up the next morning without a sore throat. You could also add a dash of cayenne pepper to the drink if you have a chesty cough, or even a nip of good quality brandy to make a hot toddy.

I have also found that drinking a juice every day helps to improve my immune system, which is fantastic come winter. I still get flu but the symptoms are minimal and the recovery time is fairly rapid. My friend is a generally healthy adult with no major health issues. She does not juice and makes fun of me a bit for doing so. Every winter she gets flu that just goes on and on. She is currently on her third flu outbreak of the season, and this one has so far been dragging on for nearly four weeks. In contrast, I have had one flu outbreak which lasted four days. Monday was a sore throat. Tuesday was a sore throat and flu like chills. Wednesday was a chesty cough. Thursday was the runny nose. And by Friday I was fine again. So if your husband does get into the routine of juicing every day, he will probably experience positive benefits over winter too, especially if he juices a lot of vitamin C fruits and vegetables. For the very brave, garlic added to juices in winter is helpful too.

Also, if he does continue, I think you may feel the need to upgrade your juicer. If you think the juice tastes good now, you ain’t tasted nothing yet!

In fact, I am off to make a juice now.

Also, if he does continue, I think you may feel the need to upgrade your juicer. If you think the juice tastes good now, you ain’t tasted nothing yet!
I should probably explain what I mean better.

When you use a non-centrifugal juicer, the juice retains all of its flavour, and more importantly, all of its nutrients.

The Jack Lalanne juicers are centrifugal. A good fun type of juicer for beginners. But these types of juicers will destroy or oxidate many of the vital nutrients due to their speed or heat output.

If you are serious about juicing for health or your hubby finds himself becoming addicted to juicing, then the next step is to obtain a non-centrifugal

Non-centrifugal is also known as a cold-press juicer or masticating juicer

Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Omega-J8005-S...cating/dp/B0002OKDT2/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

The taste of juice from a non-centrifugal is a million miles better than the juice from a centrifugal juicer. That is what I mean by “if you think the juice tastes good now, you ain’t tasted nothing yet”.

Once you have got one, you won’t give it up for love nor money. That is why you see lots of centrifugal juicers at garage sales, but you never see any non-centrifugals.

We even take our non-centrifugal on holiday with us. :D

One more thing I have thought of. Cabbage juice is very good for our condition but most people can’t handle it, as it is very potent. If you try cabbage juice, then make sure you dilute it with water. I don’t normally recommend diluting vegetable juices with plain water. If I have to dilute, I would use some sort of fruit or vegetable that has a high water content (i.e.) watermelon or cucumber. As that way, you get the water from the plant which contains natural vitamins, rather than just plain water. However, cabbage juice is so potent, that diluting with plain filtered water is the best way to go. First time I had cabbage juice I didn’t dilute it, and I got a burning sensation in my tummy and the most chronic cabbage farts imaginable.

It was flippin foul. :stinks:

However, I have been experimenting with juicing cabbage for some time now, and have now got to the stage where I can tolerate it and drink it straight. Which is good, because it really is most beneficial for our condition.

Wheatgrass is another potent but highly beneficial item for our condition. Drinking it straight will make me vomit. But diluting it cucumber and celery is great. Or sweetening it with grapes and apple is also good. You cannot juice wheatgrass in a centrifugal juicer. You will need a non-centrifugal juicer or a handheld manual metal wheatgrass juicer. For more information on the benefits of wheatgrass, then search for articles about Ann Wigmore or the Hippocrates Health Institute

Again. experimenting and building things up slowly is the key for our condition. But your husband can luckily go into it gung-ho.

You're making me jealous Miss Spencer - I really want a masticating juicer but can't afford one right now - and you're right -you never see them coming up for sale secondhand!

Wheatgrass juice for me is like having an instantly working shot of B12, the amount of energy I get from it is amazing and will last a good few hours. I normally have it like a shot of tequila with a bit of orange to suck on straight after but I have put in in juice drinks with cucumber and celery to use as a sports drink when I did longer runs ( back in the day!) Fantastic stuff :)

he just had a kidney stone removed and is keen on not having any more stones form (we were told lemon juice or anything citrus except for grapefruit is good for preventing future stones).

Wheatgrass, as I mentioned above, is meant to be excellent for preventing kidney stones.

You can buy kits and grow it at home yourself, or buy ready grown trays from some health food shops.

I normally have a standard shot, which I think is about 50mls. Most people drink it straight, but I always mix mine with other vegetable juices to help disguise the taste.

Or you can sweeten a shot by adding a handful of green grapes to the juicer.

I saw the following about wheatgrass:

In 2002: The addition of 3 oz. fresh wheatgrass juice vs. 3oz. placebo juice in addition to standard medical treatment to control ulcerative colitis symptoms was studied. Results showed patients who drank wheatgrass had less diarrhea, pain and rectal bleeding than those who drank placebo.

Claims to breaks down calcium-oxalate stones, which are created by the body to neutralize acid, for elimination. Calcium oxalate stones are better known as kidney stones.

So maybe worth considering as part of your juicing regime?

I really want a masticating juicer but can't afford one right now

You may be able to get one on Hire Purchase. I know HP has a higher interest rate, but at least you can use the item whilst paying it off.

For anyone in the USA, you could use the layaway system. I did this. I paid off whatever I could afford each week. I was not working at the time, so it took me almost eight months to pay off my first masticating juicer, but it was better than paying the money out in one lump sum.

Thanks MissSpencer - I hadn't thought of that - to be honest I probably wont but it's good to know it's an option!

Re wheatgrass, you can also get it frozen - they claim it's as good as fresh as it's harvested and frozen immediately, I tried it, I didn't get the same energy 'buzz' from it but it was just as good for my stomach. http://www.livewheatgrass.co.uk/ this is the company I got it from - the service was good and it was delivered in an insulated box.

If you don't have a masticating juicer you will need a manual juicer which is great for any other fruit & veg & a bit handier to take on holiday with you if you are going abroad.

Re wheatgrass, you can also get it frozen - they claim it's as good as fresh as it's harvested and frozen immediately, I tried it, I didn't get the same energy 'buzz' from it
You can also get pre-bottled juice, and in a freeze dried powder form too.

But freshly harvested and juiced is REALLY the only way to go nutrient wise.

I only ever get a buzz from the fresh stuff, because it is still living and growing when you cut it for juicing.

It is the life energy force of the plant that gives you the buzz.

The life energy force is basically dead in frozen, pre-bottled juice and freeze dried powder form.

Totally agree with MissSpencer - any kind of processing will reduce the nutrient content of any fruit or veg. Think of it like this - you've got 2 identical apples, you eat one fresh and one cooked then plant the seeds. The fresh one will be able to grow into a new apple tree but the cooked on is dead and can't produce anything except mould. Which is best for your body?

The fresh one will feed your body because it is still living, the cooked one will rot. This is true for any foodstuff.

I just ordered a Breville 1000 watt juice extractor. I wanted a masticating juicer, but as stated before, the price was an obstacle. The reviews for this particular juicer where great, plus it has the two speeds (higher speeds means higher temp and less benefit of juice). It can handle the greens but the company suggest adding some fruit to make it easier. Should be here in a few days. Will let you know how it works. It will get high usage with one crohner and two IBS gals in the house. Used to have a black and decker but that lasted about a month. If this works good, will save up for the big-time machines (they can exceed $2k).

On a side note, does anyone who juices order on line or go to a organic shop? Really want to try the wheat grass but limited in options near home.

Love the idea of using the carrot pulp to make a salad!! I normally throw the pulp into my organic compost heap, but I might experiment with it from now on!!:D

My boo and I spent our last 30 bucks on a used juicer a friend was selling. Way better than the 80 plus we were going to have to save for (that's how low funds are).
We love it. Have had it for 3 days and I just love it.
What are your favorite things to juice?
So far we are sticking to celery, carrot, apple and pear, until we get back to the store, that is.
I know it's not a fancy juicer, but it does the job, for now.

dahlface

I bought my Breville a week ago and I'm addicted! My favorite so far was Carrot, Sweet potato, and ginger. I was so skeptical of the sweet potato but it almost made it like a milkshake. So sweet and so smooth. And I had energy like I was on Prednisone!

Another of my faves was apple, beet, and celery.

I juice spinach, celery, apples, beets (only one at a time), parsley, apples, oranges, carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, bell peppers, ginger...you name it. Veggies are the best, just add an apple (or any fruit) to sweeten it. I usually start with a base of carrots and go from there.

Oh, and carrot, orange, and cucumber is excellent!

I've been keeping a juice journal so if I come across a great concoction I have it written down already. And I can weed out the bad ones...but I haven't made a bad one yet.

I'm going to start adding a little cabbage or broccoli to the mix too. I'm so happy with my juicer, I use it twice a day and feel better than I have in a longgggggg time!

Edited to add: if you use beets, only use one medium to small size per drink. Too much beets at one time can cause dizziness and fever. And be warned, it makes everything red coming out the other end ;) But they are SOOOOOO good for you!!!!

I use about an inch or so, just cut directly off the funky looking root. But I'm going to start using a little more because I can just barely taste it. I like a strong Ginger taste.

The fresh Ginger root lasts forever if put in a ziploc and stored in your fridge.

Hey, you should check out the movie Fat,Sick & Nearly Dead (2010). I watched it on netflix instant and it was entirely about juicing and it's positive effects on the body. If i had a juicer or could find one in a bargain like you did I would be all over juicing like this movie shows. Hope this helps!

What a good movie. They are using a Breville. I juice at least once a week, mainly fruit. My kids love it because then they start to mix with varying results. I bought the " Crohns and Colitis Diet Guide as well as a juice book. Good ideas but mainly repeating what we already know. I love my berry blend. Rasberry, Blueberry, Cherry, Strawberry, and banana.