• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

B-vitamins

Why do doctors only check for b12 and folate? There are so many others they never know how to check for? Why? Stupidity?

Anyone could recomend me a good b-complex.

Thank you !!!

Scipio

B12 is important in Crohn's because patients are often deficient in it due to poor absorption through the inflamed gut. B12 deficiency results in anemia. CD patients already commonly suffer from anemia due to blood loss and poor absorption of iron. You really don't need a B12 deficiency on to top of that making the risks of anemia even greater.

Low folate levels can be a special problem for CD patients taking methotrexate, which is a folate analog that interferes with the action of enzymes that use folate as a co-factor. To overcome this GIs often prescribe extra folate along with methotrexate therapy.

You did not answer my question. What about thiamine and b6 just to name a few. Those could be slightly low and doctors never check.

We go arround deficient all our lifes feeling crap. They should do some proper blood work.

How come it is this way in 2017?

Scipio

You did not answer my question. What about thiamine and b6 just to name a few. Those could be slightly low and doctors never check.

We go arround deficient all our lifes feeling crap. They should do some proper blood work.

How come it is this way in 2017?
Vitamin B6 deficiency and thiamine deficiency (beriberi) are not particularly common and are not particularly associated with Crohn's disease. They are most often seen in cases of severe starvation in famine-stricken areas. In contrast, folate deficiency and B12 deficiency are of particular importance to Crohn's sufferers, for the reasons I outlined above, and thus are monitored more closely than most other vitamins.

Lab testing is not free. To routinely test for every vitamin that a CD patient might possibly be a little low in would be expensive, wasteful, and of only marginal benefit to most patients. It makes more sense to look where the problems are likely to occur.

Scipio, you have an encyclopaedic knowledge of these things! Where do you learn it all? I like to think I keep relatively abreast of developments but nowhere near in as much detail as you!

As always, very clear and informative :)

Scorpio,

Actually that's not always true.. My daughter B12,
folate and vitamin D was spot on but low on thiamine. At the hospital they started her on thiamine and it did wonders to her. Unfortunately they stopped it when she left the hospital. GI believes that multivitamin are not required

Scipio

Bets - Sure, it's certainly possible to be deficient in any given vitamin, but as far as routine monitoring goes it makes sense to keep a vigilant eye on the ones where most of the problems occur and test for the others only when there is reason to suspect them (i.e. there are symptoms of that specific deficiency or other more likely causes have been eliminated).

They seem to just check for whatever they have some suspicion for, just my opinion though.

For b12 I take Adenosylcobalamin sublinguals 1/2 pill every 2 weeks and vit d I take 1000iu all year round and 2000iu in winter or more. I have 1 bm a day, b12 and vit d tests have always came back normal. So if you are worried start a similar regimen and then ask your doc to be tested. If you have more then 1 bm a day its likely you are more at risk for a deficit.

This is a new product that I just ordered. I have not gotten it yet but it should be here in a few days. It makes sense. It is vitamin b12 that you vape. it seems like this is the way of the future for some vitamins

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a new product that I just ordered. I have not gotten it yet but it should be here in a few days. It makes sense. It is vitamin b12 that you vape. it seems like this is the way of the future for some vitamins

That is very interesting! I work in the vaping industry, could you point me in the direction of where I could read up on this? I've heard some fantastic things about vaping CBD so I think the subject is well worth looking into.

Thanks