• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Peristalsis and cutting flange

nogutsnoglory

The stoma can grow and shrink and even swell to almost double it's size making it hard to measure and cut the flange. If we measure and cut based on the more contracted stoma wouldn't that be choking when the stoma swells up? I can't seem to get a good fit because it is either choking or too open and stool seeps.

It's a constant juggle, everyday is different for me. Do your stomas ever seems to pull in one side? Mine does, I can feel it do it, and then the output goes under the flange.

The stoma can grow and shrink and even swell to almost double it's size making it hard to measure and cut the flange. If we measure and cut based on the more contracted stoma wouldn't that be choking when the stoma swells up? I can't seem to get a good fit because it is either choking or too open and stool seeps.
Stomas can grow and shrink? I'd been told my stoma was swollen when new and that it would shrink (which it has, it's probably a quarter of the size it started now), but I thought it would only swell again if something was wrong?

nogutsnoglory

Well the intestine moves so it gets bigger and smaller. I know your stoma is very quiet but if you look at it for a while you will see it move. It does swell up a bit but yes any significant swelling is abnormal I'm just talking about normal stoma size fluctuation.

When mine is active, it constricts and then points straight out...looks like a really short willy. Cut the flange to match the size it is when relaxed.

You might need to measure it every time for the first few months. Every now and then mine will get larger for a few days, but not enough of a change to be alarming.

nogutsnoglory

Mine doesn't point out like yours, it gets chubby in width. I do cut it to shape when it's quiet but I am afraid it will choke when it swells up. It really gets much bigger.

Nyx

I cut my flange to the size he is when he's being quiet. My stoma also swells a lot (almost twice his size), but I haven't had a problem with my flange "choking" him at all. It doesn't seem to stop the output, or make things uncomfortable at all.

Well the intestine moves so it gets bigger and smaller. I know your stoma is very quiet but if you look at it for a while you will see it move. It does swell up a bit but yes any significant swelling is abnormal I'm just talking about normal stoma size fluctuation.
Ah ok. Probably my stoma nurse just told me that any swelling was abnormal to make sure I err on the side of caution if any swelling occurs.

annawato

Staff member
I swear mine changes all the time. I cut leaving 1/4 inch around but i still find that when it swells up the flange rubs on it causing white patches and bleeding. If I cut larger I just get more irritation on the skin. I'm trying to get brave and retry the eakin seals (rings) but since at least I'm not having leaks now I just can't bring myself to change anything.
And yes it definitely dips down on one side, fortunately not the side the opening is.