Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Returning Member

02-18-2018, 09:12 PM   #1
Lynda Lynda
Bee Keeper 🐝

My Support Groups:
Returning Member

My name is Lynda and I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis in 2006, but I have been sick since 1997. My past medications have been Asacol and Lialda, but I am not prescribed them at this time. The only medication I take is Cholestyramine Packets twice a day and this seems to really help. I have had several colonoscopies and endoscopies. I have also had an upper GI and a Flexible Sigmoidoscopy. Right now I am collecting SSD in relation to this Ulcerative Colitis diagnosis and other health issues. I have had an anal fistulectomy surgery and two rectal abscess surgeries. My symptoms have always been diarrhea, with expection to two very short periods of constipation. I am 57 years old.

Right now I am dealing with a Tier Exception Denial for my Cholestyramine Powder, a medication that I have been taking for at least 13 years. Why Cholestyramine Powder is a Tier 4 medication I do not know. I am frustrated, I just want the cost to go down. I will be researching the alternative drugs that my Health Insurance Company has said can be used instead of the Cholestyramine Powder. I am tired all the time and I suffer from Major Depression. That is all I can think of for now. Thank you for listening and I am hoping to make some friends and also a gather lot of information about Ulcerative Colitis here. Lynda
02-19-2018, 12:16 AM   #2
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi. I hope you can get it at a lower cost.
02-19-2018, 04:07 AM   #3
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
Hi! I think my signature will explain itself for the most part. But, I'm sorry to hear that you're still suffering so. I am glad to see that you've found us and am hoping that you'll feel free to talk to us if needed. I know it's been a great place for me through the years and hope it'll be for you too. Sending lots of hugs.

Current Meds:
Pentasa 1000mg 2xday or Mesalamine DR 1.2gm 2xday, Canasa Suppositories (when needed) 1000mg 1xday, Tylenol 3 with codeine 300-30mg (when needed)

Non-Meds:
600+D Calcium 2xday, Multivitamin, 65mg Iron 1xday, Fish Oil 1000mg, Vitamin D3 5,000 I.U., Eye Drops 2xday

UP Support Group http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=68350
02-19-2018, 04:37 PM   #4
Lynda Lynda
Bee Keeper 🐝

My Support Groups:
Well, I am gonna figure out this avatar thing soon !
02-20-2018, 10:49 PM   #5
Lynda Lynda
Bee Keeper 🐝

My Support Groups:
I want to delete myself. I don't have a "story." And I don't have a college degree or a PhD in "Crohns" talk. I will read more Threads tomorrow I suppose.
02-21-2018, 03:22 AM   #6
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
I wouldn't worry about not having a "story." We're here for you no matter what. If you want to delete yourself from here, that's fine. But, before you do I'd like to make sure you know that you can get a hold of us if you need someone to talk to. And, that's why we are here! To send you hugs if you need it!
02-21-2018, 10:57 AM   #7
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I wouldn't worry about not having a "story." We're here for you no matter what. If you want to delete yourself from here, that's fine. But, before you do I'd like to make sure you know that you can get a hold of us if you need someone to talk to. And, that's why we are here! To send you hugs if you need it!
Agreed
02-21-2018, 06:31 PM   #8
Lynda Lynda
Bee Keeper 🐝

My Support Groups:
Thank You for your support. I am frustrated with this Tier Exception Appeal I am trying to figure out for my Cholestyramine Powder. Many calls to my Health Insurance Company and doctors too. It's not just about lowering my cost of this medication, it is also about making sure I am being prescribed the best medications for treating my Ulcerative Colitis. I want to maintain my colon heath and not get worse symptoms. I had a great Gastroenterologist a few years ago and trusted him completely, right now I am basically starting a new patient / doctor relationship with my "new" Gastroenterologist. Sorry this is so long. Lynda
04-05-2018, 03:46 AM   #9
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
Did you ever get any relief or at least a contact to your GI Lynda? Sorry it's been so long since I've checked on you.
04-05-2018, 10:30 AM   #10
Bufford

My Support Groups:
Sorry I didn't come across this thread earlier, I hope you can get your medications worked out. Glad you came back, we are a relaxed bunch here and having a little company goes a long way.
Yeah, I understand that Avatar thing. I tried to load a picture or just get rid of the question mark, but know nothing about technology. But that's okay, I am proud of the fact that I am technologically challenged enough that I have no clue how people know how to text with their phones, I'm just thankful I know enough how to make a regular phone call and basic computer functions.
04-05-2018, 11:09 AM   #11
TxGrizzlyBear

My Support Groups:
Lynda, Wecome back into the fold! I am new here myself and new to my disease. I am glad this place is here.

I know how you feel about the tier denial. It seems that every time me or my husband find a drug that works well, Aetna goes and changes the tier level on us and we have to work around it. He is Type 1 diabetic and they did that with his insulin.

Like you, I also take Cholestyramine Powder twice a day. Being new to Crohn's it took me a few experiments to discover that if I blend it with OJ I can get both it and my EnteraGam down without gagging!

Shalom and keep us updated! Sending lots of hugs and prayers.

Jason
...Remicade
...Cholestyramine
...EnteraGam
...Budesonide
...Viberzi
...Paroxetine
Also have:
...GERD
...Gout
...Obstructive Sleep Apnea
...Major Depression/Anxiety