Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Vitamins/Supplements/Minerals...Which are the best ?

09-14-2018, 03:30 PM   #1
Lynda Lynda

My Support Groups:
Vitamins/Supplements/Minerals...Which are the best ?

I was not sure where to post this, so here it is. I would like to know the most important vitamins / minerals / supplements I should be taking because I was just diagnosed with Crohn's Disease in April 2018. I would just like to know the ones at the top of the list because I am really not interested in taking 20 supplements a day ( in addition to my many prescription medications.) I already take B12 2500 mcg daily ( dissolvable berry flavor ) and Vitamin D3 4000IU daily ( softgels.) Both of these Vitamins were recommended by my doctors based on my own personal, specific needs. Thank You for your help. .
09-18-2018, 01:50 PM   #2
Lynda Lynda

My Support Groups:
Well, I am not getting any suggestions. I will ask my FNP tomorrow and go on the Internet to research.
Bye.
09-18-2018, 07:37 PM   #3
D Bergy

I take Dr. Mercola's whole food multivitamin which has about everything you need but I also take the sublingual B-12, extra magnesium either chelate, citrate or malate. The multi does not have K-2 so I also take that separately. I need to take a boat load of D3 so I throw in an additional 20,000 iu of that. You should only take that much D if you are monitoring your level via blood tests. The amount any particular individual needs can only be determined by regular blood testing. I try keep my D-3 at the upper limits of what the vitamin D council recommends. That's quite a lot higher than most doctors will recommend. It is important to have adequate K-2 if you are keeping your vitamin D that level. Magnesium is also important along with the D. They all work together to keep your calcium going where it is supposed to go instead of depositing where it does not belong.

I also take Krill Oil as it is critical to me for preventing depression. It also is a real good anti-inflammatory supplement. I also take ginger and curcumin or Turmeric for inflammation also. One other I use is L-Glutamine because my guts really like it for some reason unknown to me.

It is a lot and it is expensive buying all of these supplements but even without Crohn's I would take all of them with the exception of the L-Glutamine and the sublingual B-12. The benefits of the supplements would take pages to cover. I also try avoid any medications that can be easily replaced by a supplement. The only medication I currently use is cholestyramine since much on my ileum has been removed including a fairly important valve. I have not found a suitable supplement to replace that.

These supplements are an aid to my treatment and for general health. I do not consider them a replacement for treatment.

Dan
09-20-2018, 11:15 PM   #4
Itzipixi

Hey! I actually recommend you ask your doctor about it, even if vitamins and supplements are not regulated, too much of them could be potentially harmful, the same way that the lack of them is not good.
09-21-2018, 08:52 PM   #5
Lynda Lynda

My Support Groups:
Bergy. Wow.
I have heard about magnesium, K2, ginger and turmeric. I already take B12 and D3. My Gastroenterologist office is worthless, they are only interested in prescribing biologics and prescriptions. My GI has never mentioned supplements, seeing a nutritionist, probiotics, prebiotics.....I was the one that asked my GI about that stuff. I will do some research on your suggestions. Thanks.
09-21-2018, 08:56 PM   #6
Lynda Lynda

My Support Groups:
Itzipixi : Thanks !! Yes, I would not take vitamins or supplements without consulting my GI. But honestly my Endocrinologist is my favorite doctor and I have been seeing her for15 years. I would trust her before any of my other doctors. 🙂

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Vitamins/Supplements/Minerals...Which are the best ?