Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » L.rhamnosus VS L.acidophillus. Which is better ?

09-14-2018, 02:23 PM   #1
Lynda Lynda

My Support Groups:
L.rhamnosus VS L.acidophillus. Which is better ?

I just watched a short YouTube video about L.rhamnosus, which I had never heard of before. I have been taking VSL#3 Packets, on a somewhat irregular basis, since July. I am just curious to find out what probiotic would be the most beneficial for my Crohn's Disease. Thanks.
09-18-2018, 01:54 PM   #2
Lynda Lynda

My Support Groups:
No answer here.....so I will continue taking my VSL#3 packets for two more months, then I will stop taking it. I will do some research on the Internet about how long people take it....all the time or just at the beginning of their treatment of their IBD. I will ask my FNP too.
Bye.
09-19-2018, 12:59 PM   #3
IslamT

My Support Groups:
I just watched a short YouTube video about L.rhamnosus, which I had never heard of before. I have been taking VSL#3 Packets, on a somewhat irregular basis, since July. I am just curious to find out what probiotic would be the most beneficial for my Crohn's Disease. Thanks.
Im not sure at all tbh
I just got ibd but Iíve seen that kefir is much more potent and gets many more good bacteria to enter the gut

Have you seen mike the heal your guys channel and kenny honnasí?
09-20-2018, 10:31 AM   #4
NuttyGuts

My Support Groups:
Hi Lynda,
I had never heard of VSL#3 before, and when I looked it up online it says it is for UC, IBS, and pouchitis. They don't mention Crohn's. Do you feel it has been helpful for you?
I took bifidus probiotics for years but recently stopped taking them after reading some things indicating that maybe Crohn's patients should not take probiotics.
Sometimes I feel overwhelmed by contradictions I find while doing research but I guess we each have to find what works for us as individuals.
Today, 01:37 PM   #5
wildbill_52280

Im not sure at all tbh
I just got ibd but Iíve seen that kefir is much more potent and gets many more good bacteria to enter the gut

Have you seen mike the heal your guys channel and kenny honnasí?
There might be some truth to this!

Lifeway kefir adds many additional probiotics to their products, and one study i read says kefir already has multiple types of organisms, whereas traditional yogurt tends to have 2-3 strains. More strains the better, and with fermented foods you get more then just the bacteria, you also get many other molecules that they make, like lactic acid and other compounds.

Another thing to consider is making sourdough bread, it could be beneficial due to the beneficial molecules the organisms make, some of these molecules are heat stable and even though the bacteria wont survive cooking, whats leftover could be beneficial. The good bacteria ferment the fiber in the wheat.

One study found IBS patients tolerated sourdough better then ordinary bread, the same could be true for IBD patients.

I'd suggest taking a multistrain probiotic and consuming fermented foods like sourdough, yogurt, cheese, kefir. I'd also suggest removing the capsules they are in because many use synthetic emulsifiers in the capsules which would negate any benefits from the probiotics. I have put mine in gelatin capsules. some say veggie caps but don't be fooled by that name it could be a synthetic emulsifier in disguise.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » L.rhamnosus VS L.acidophillus. Which is better ?