Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » It had been a while

09-28-2008, 01:42 PM   #1
crohnsmom

it had been a while

Hi everyone-it has been a while since I posted about my son and thought that one the eve before the Jewish New Year it might be a good time to catch you all up. Barry has been in remission since June of 2007 following his surgery. He completed his junior year and spent the summer in Berlin doing research in the area of physics at the University of Theoretical Physics. It was a really wonderful experience for him, and he returned to Cambridge August 30th to start his senior year of college (no time to stop back home here in sunny Florida first).
This years round of tests and bloodwork revealed a B12 deficiency that has been getting progressively worst over the past year. Other than that all results look good. He is now on the new B12 nasal spray that takes the place of shots-since he lost 8-10 cm of terminal ileum the doc thinks he lost the ability to absorb B12 from dietary sources and supplements. The nasal spray offers a good alternative for a busy college student-no more running to the doctors office for injections.
I am really fortunate in that Barry has been able to fly home this weekend for a brief visit-it has been over 5 months since my husband and I have seen him-since he is feeling so good I am spending the weekend doing what mothers do-cooking all his favorites and stuffing his face-we all know that college students have an erratic diet at best!
It is amazing how fast t ime flies when things are good. Barry is getting ready to apply to graduate school as graduation from college looms on the horizon in June of 2009. Hopefully he will get a good offer from his first or second choice in Cambridge-I would be happiest if he could stay where he is with great doctors that know his entire history.
Wishing all of you out there the best of health and happiness! And thanks again for your unfailing support and understanding.
L'Shana Tova (happy new year)
Ramona
09-28-2008, 01:49 PM   #2
GoJohnnyGo
One Badass Dude

Thanks for sharing that.

I think it's very important for people going through dark times to hear these sorts of stories.

Enjoy your new year.
09-28-2008, 07:17 PM   #3
Creepy Lurker

It's good to hear he's doing well
10-04-2008, 10:05 AM   #4
mikeyarmo
Co-Founder

Thanks so much for the update Ramona. It is great to hear that things are going so well with your son and hopefully they continue.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » It had been a while