Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » What Career/Job Do You Have?

12-28-2012, 12:45 PM   #391
kilroy55

My Support Groups:
I'm a prosecuting attorney. Fortunately, I work with great people who are understanding. I've only had to ask to leave court once in 6 months which I view as a minor miracle. Hopefully, I'll be able to keep my chosen career. But, I am concerned because I have to spend so much time in court with few breaks.
12-28-2012, 01:17 PM   #392
scottanias

My Support Groups:
I'm a wastewater operator. I basically run a small sized plant with a few other people. It's a dirty job but I actually like it. However, not sure once I start treatment if I'll be able to keep working around such hazardous materials.
12-28-2012, 03:45 PM   #393
toughinboots

I have been living with Crohns Disease for 30 years now. I was in remission for quite some time until the past 6 years. Now its a constant daily struggle. I have been fired from many jobs in the past and now I have a very part time job doing direct sales. I am an independent consultant with Scentsy. This is a great company to be a part of and I have the flexibility I need by being able to work when i feel up to it and set my own hours and workload. If you would like more information on joining my team please email me [email protected]
12-30-2012, 01:58 AM   #394
believeinbeingwell

I don't know the rules of SSI - but my 2 cents - Don't do it for free. If it's not on the black - who would know? (Hope that's not too terrible for me to say). As you say, it would just be a little on the side.
01-03-2013, 03:09 AM   #395
LauraElliott

I have had Crohns since i was 12 years old (1996)... Been through 3 re-sections... moved across the country by myself in 2005 to pursue my career in Los Angeles... Never looked back...

I am an Environment Artist working in the Game Industry.. I worked as an FX artist in the film industry for over 5 years... I LOVE MY CAREER!
01-03-2013, 03:30 AM   #396
Lorilei

Right now I'm a dispatch supervisor for a taxi company. The stress of this job causes severe flare-ups, but it pays well. However, I'm studying to be a massage therapist, and I want to perhaps either start a business with my friend or go into neonatal care.
01-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #397
Elektrikhd

My Support Groups:
I teach music in an elementary school. I've been at it for 6 years, but this is my first year with the Crohns going on. So far it's been working out ok. Occasionally I'm a few minutes late for lunch duty or in being ready for a class as a result of running to the bathroom. I only usually need to make it for 40 minutes at a stretch, though, then I get 5 minutes (usually time to prepare for the next class), if everybody else is punctual. Plus during lunch duty there's usually other teachers working, so I can slip away for a few minutes. If I have an "emergency" I can get someone to cover my class for a few minutes, but that only happened once right before school ended last year, before I had a diagnosis.

My boss is pretty understanding so far, and has told me to let him know what sorts of things I needs. He seems to understand that things may change along the way, too.

So far the worst thing was getting ready for one of my two seasonal concerts. That's an extremely stressful event. Symptoms got a little worse while that was going on, but I still got through it. If that's as bad as it gets, I think I can get through it--I only do 2 concerts a year.
01-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #398
SamJorgoyne

Hairdresser... But being a military spouse stationed overseas in germany. I can only work at ONE place on post if I want to continue to do my job. Doing it 40 hours a week with my husband deployed. I gave it up because I was sick all the time, and recently (finally) diagnosed. So I wanted to take the time for my meds to kick in, figure out my trigger foods, and attempt to feel better before my husband came home.
01-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #399
sarahcaitlin

My Support Groups:
I'm a program coordinator at a literacy non-profit, the pay isn't great but it's worth it for the flexibility; a lot of the time I can work from home if I need to, come home for lunch, and my hours are only 8-2:30 Tue-Fri with some night-time programs every few weeks or so. It's rewarding work. On the side, I do graphic design and web design, which I'm hoping to turn into a full-time gig from home in the next couple of years.

Before this job, right after I graduated college, I was a producer at a broadcast news channel in Nashville, working overnight for the morning show (10pm-8am) 5 days a week. That only lasted a year, and I'm surprised I made it that long! ZERO flexibility there and a lot of really silly scripts written for "serious" news anchors.
01-04-2013, 05:01 PM   #400
Alberta_sweetie

My Support Groups:
I am a special needs educational assistant that works one on one with a severe special needs child in a mainstream grade 2 classroom. My job is definitely taxing, between chasing the kid and trying to get him to do things that the other kids aren't doing because he is not at their level and crawling around on the floor with him, but it is so rewarding when he "read" his first word and generated his first sentence on paper! Thankfully we have a very understanding secretary who will take him when I have bathroom issues that can't wait until my break.
01-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #401
reidme02

I was recently diagnosed after a few years of being considered IBS. After several autoimmune issues (Uveitis, Alopecia, Hashimotos) and extreme diarrhea, my second colonoscopy showed granulomas and ulcers, and I'm up for an MR Enterography before official diagnosis. I'm a high school English teacher, and it has been really hard to stay on top of things. I have adjusted my food intake to ensure that my worst times are after school/early morning. However, it is really hard to keep up with all of the grading/planning during nights/weekends. I love teaching, but a less stressful job/job with no work to bring home would be more ideal. I used to work in business, and I'm regretting my transition into education. I am passionate about it, but my health gets in the way
01-10-2013, 05:40 PM   #402
JM1

My Support Groups:
I am an anesthesiologist dx in 1996 just after completing training-currently sidelined because of Crohn's and Crohn's related issues
01-10-2013, 11:11 PM   #403
believeinbeingwell

I was recently diagnosed after a few years of being considered IBS. After several autoimmune issues (Uveitis, Alopecia, Hashimotos) and extreme diarrhea, my second colonoscopy showed granulomas and ulcers, and I'm up for an MR Enterography before official diagnosis. I'm a high school English teacher, and it has been really hard to stay on top of things. I have adjusted my food intake to ensure that my worst times are after school/early morning. However, it is really hard to keep up with all of the grading/planning during nights/weekends. I love teaching, but a less stressful job/job with no work to bring home would be more ideal. I used to work in business, and I'm regretting my transition into education. I am passionate about it, but my health gets in the way
Sounds like it's time for a change
01-11-2013, 08:37 AM   #404
JM1

My Support Groups:
Thanks for the support.
01-11-2013, 09:16 AM   #405
Amber82

I'm a self employed hair stylist. I love my job! I pay a lot for health care since I'm self employed. It is a hard job because I'm on my feet all the time. My clients are very understanding. Lol! I mean when you have to go you just have to go I think if there is something you really want to do you should go for it! You only live once right! I wouldnt change my job for anything! Good luck!!!!!
01-14-2013, 01:13 PM   #406
UncleChuckSucks

I think any career where you can work from home is ideal. I started working from home through other circumstances two years ago and it's a huge difference. I don't want to work in a traditional office again because whenever I'm sick now, I can just clock out and take care of business, then clock back in. Plus, I can get laundry and little chores done in small, workable spurts during the day instead of facing chore swarms on the weekend (insert laundry, wait 1 hour, take 5 mins to fold laundry, wait an hour, take 5 mins to put away laundry). Chore breaks are like coffee breaks. Anything where you can telecommute is way more flexible--plus no weirdness using the public potty all day or having people wonder where you go all the time when you're not at your desk. Good luck to you!
01-14-2013, 01:36 PM   #407
tsm1110

My Support Groups:
before i was diagnosed with crohns i worked as a carpenter for many years.building new homes and remodeling existing.i was very good at what i did and really enjoyed it.shortly after i was diagnosed i changed careers and now work as an assistant building official(code enforcement official)this change was nice as it would still allow me to work in the construction field.this change has helped me in so many ways.much better insurance and plenty of paid time off which helps for my infusions and flare ups.
01-16-2013, 10:54 PM   #408
723crossroads
Banned

My Support Groups:
I went to college for graphic design, I'm not too shabby at it, though I was pretty terrible when I first got out and still have a long way to go.

I couldn't find anything in the field so I started looking at more basic minimum wage jobs. I bombed an interview at Guitar Center pretty bad, forgot everything I knew on the spot and made an ass of myself but that's typically how a first interview ever goes right?

I waited months and finally got another interview at a grocery store where I felt I nailed it but got the "why aren't you looking for a job in your field" run down and feel I was turned away for being 'overqualified' as in I went to college, despite never having had a real job, and thus they won't take me because I might expect better pay or quit for a 'real' job soon idk.

At about this point I had really bad symptoms, this was when my gluten intolerance started but of course I had no idea what it was just that I was incredibly ill. For a long time I'd been tottering on the idea that I'm sick but am I sick enough that it's fair for me to collect disability?

Well I hit the wall where I was so sick that it wasn't really a dilemma anymore, got approved pretty fast for SSI. I'm hoping to get on medicare/medicaid because my prescriptions are really expensive and I'd like to be able to pay for my own food so my parents don't have to.

Now I'm well but still unstable, if I have just a little of something I shouldn't, like a few granules of black pepper get on my food, I won't sleep that night, I'll be too busy on the can. That's just not something conducive to a work environment.

Before I got sick I was doing some contract work in design for a couple of guys that were starting up a t-shirt/informational business doing aggressive anti-racism speeches. I did some stuff, gave them about 4 final designs, they paid me a small but fair amount and then their business plan kind of fell through.

Well they contacted me earlier this month and want to get stuff started again, I'm wondering if this could be a risk to my SSI? It's not technically an income, it's pay per design, and I'm not even 100% on how many designs I'll be making but barely enough to put gas in the tank, let alone bills.

Anyone know about this? If it came down to it I'd do it for free just to be part of something.
I know you can make so much per month without it affecting your SSI. You need to contact them and find out how much that is. Many people do partime work on SSI. Hope this helps!
01-16-2013, 11:15 PM   #409
anomiidae

I'm a nurse and a massage therapist. Sometimes I just have to count myself as an extra patient.
Surgery: 8 cm stricture from terminal ileum w/ ileocecal valve removed 8/2012
Least favorite CD activity: colonoscopy
01-17-2013, 05:29 PM   #410
xSophiexx

Im a Fraud Investigator for a big insurance company :-):-)

Ileocaecal Resection 12th June 2013

Meds
Infliximab
01-17-2013, 06:46 PM   #411
SilverFirePrime

I work level 1 help desk support. My bosses have been nothing short of fantastic in understanding what I go through. Every now and then I'll be stuck on a call when nature decides to call. That's when things get entertaining
01-17-2013, 09:20 PM   #412
723crossroads
Banned

My Support Groups:
I do housekeeping for people and noone is home, so I can go and do as I need. Works out great!
01-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #413
Laura Dawn

I'm an Internal Auditor for hospitals. I resigned a bit ago. Just yesterday I was offered 2 jobs that are full time but because sick , they would let me do PT. after being so sick yesterday, I'm not sure how I'm ever going back to work. Very discouraged.
01-25-2013, 08:04 PM   #414
acheallova
Forum Monitor

I'm a doctorate of pharmacy graduate, spend 14+ hours/day on my feet in the pharmacy. Dr. Says NO MORE, but cant give up what i love! Ugh tummy/booty hates me!! -hugs-
Clofazamine Divigel®
Rifampin Nystatin
Diflucan®
Zofran®
Percocet®
Valium®
Probiotics
Vitamin B complex
Vitamin D
Been on: Cipro® Vancomycin® Phenergan®(allergy)
Flagyl® Dilaudid® Biaxin®(allergy)
02-03-2013, 08:45 PM   #415
Emily

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
I'm a doctorate of pharmacy graduate, spend 14+ hours/day on my feet in the pharmacy. Dr. Says NO MORE, but cant give up what i love! Ugh tummy/booty hates me!! -hugs-
You are a PharmD? I'm starting pharmacy school in the fall. I'm so excited! Fellow pharmacy Crohnie person, yay!
  • Total colectomy with ileostomy at age 23
infliximab & azathioprine
02-03-2013, 11:57 PM   #416
723crossroads
Banned

My Support Groups:
Hope you both do great!
02-04-2013, 04:07 AM   #417
acheallova
Forum Monitor

Emily,
Congrats! It's a tough program so stay conscientious of your body. The stress will be great, as may the flare. I'm so excited for you!! You will do well. Good luck hun. -hugs-
02-06-2013, 04:21 PM   #418
shelikescats

My Support Groups:
Sales for a Biotech company. Traveling required 1/4 of the year, sometimes local. Degree in Biology. My hopes are to switch careers in the future to work with animals and become an animal keeper or a speaker for conservation/tour guide for private groups. I gain energy from being around people.

I am currently undiagnosed. If I do have IBD, it is very mild. The stress from sales sets my stomach off though.
02-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #419
RXTECH81

My Support Groups:
I am a pharmacy technician currently working at a local, closed-door pharmacy with access to a unisex bathroom. It is a great place to work, and I have very supportive coworkers with whom I have worked with through my initial diagnosis. I am also a nursing 101 student. That being said, are there any current nurses out there with Crohn's that may offer some advise or input on how you deal with Crohn's in your profession?
02-14-2013, 09:24 AM   #420
Martha

I work in IT and thankfully I work from home full time. My manager and direct team know of my condition, but senior management dont. I think its better that way as I dont believe they would really understand if I was ill.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » What Career/Job Do You Have?