Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Fistulas, Fissures and Abscesses » Anyone got a Perianal fistula with groin,leg pain?

07-27-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
deb123

Anyone got a Perianal fistula with groin,leg pain?

Hi,
Had an MRI scan and been diagnosed with Tail end fistula, no abscess present, and will start Remicade in September.

The Gastro Doctor has perscribed metronidazole for now. I am suffering from painful hip/pelvic/thigh/leg pain. I also am getting sweats and chills. Is anyone suffering or suffered from these symptoms?
The pain gets so bad, im limping by the end of the day. It helps when i put my legs up for a while.
My bloods show no infection or inflamation??
07-28-2012, 05:19 AM   #2
dxw

I thought a fistula would be a sign of infection, which could explain all the symptoms you have, that's my guess for what it's worth. Hopefully all will be resolved when the meds kick in. I know I had lots of joint pains until they got my meds sorted.
07-28-2012, 07:42 AM   #3
Avw

My Support Groups:
I'm dealing with fistula/abscess number... oh hell I lost count. But yes, every single time I get one, I get really bad aches, chills, and fevers. I also have groin and TONS of rectal pain, can't even sit down, but too weak to stand for long, so I pretty much have to stay in bed as much as possible. Soaking in epsom salt baths help a lot for me. Good luck, I hope the meds can take care of it for you!

Previous Medications:
Every oral medication,
Remicade,
Humira,
Cimzia, etc..

Currently Taking:
LDN 3 mg
VSL #3
Prednisone 10 mg
Flagyl 1000 mg
Entocort
Protonix
Xanax as needed

Insurance still rejecting appeals for Stem Cell Transplant. Tested positive for JCV Antibody so Tysabri is not an option. Searching for matches in Cord Blood Registry and working with an attorney to fight insurance company. Fingers and toes crossed!
07-28-2012, 09:15 AM   #4
bill

I've had several fistulas, have one now and experiience everything you described. I've found soaking in the bathtub with epsom salts for 20 minutes after each BM and throughout the day helps. I get really bored so I'm considering a TV in the bathroom now! Tylenol seems to help the pain too.

Have a good day!
07-28-2012, 09:36 AM   #5
Neko76

My Support Groups:
I also had pain that radiated out from abcesses caused by multiple fistula, however you mention that the MRI showed no abcesses and not does your bloodwork....so that is a bit strange. You can have fistula tracts without the presence of an access and obviously the metronidazole would help to reduce the development of one. However I just noticed that you had your MRI in sept, so you could have developed an access internally since then. What does your Dr say re: pain?? Maybe some painkillers would be in order and a re-check of the area. From what I understand night sweats are common with crohns I get them all the time.

Kat
07-28-2012, 10:02 AM   #6
deb123

Thanks for all your replies.

The strange thing is i dont have any anal pain, just pressure in my groin, hips, pubic bone and right leg. Apparently i have a fistula that travels into my pelvis on my left side - but my pain is mainly concentrated to my right??

I really dont think i can hold on until September for the Remicade. I have a day surgery booked for 18th August to replace my Mirena and to take some biopsies as i have breakthrough bleeding. If i start the Remicade now they wont replace the Mirena, and i need that as i get really anaemic.

I feel sick on and off all day, probably because of the aches and pain. I will book to see GP on Monday, because paracetomal doesnt have any effect.

I suppose im a bit worried that it could be something else . . . . . . .
07-28-2012, 10:19 AM   #7
Neko76

My Support Groups:
I think that you are doing the right thing seeing your GP, just remember too that abdominal pain can radiate or defer to other areas than the actual Site of what is causing the pain. I had an ovarian cyst type thing (some weird fluid pocket attributed to abdominal scar tissue), anyways the pain wasn't at that exact spot and two of my docs said that abdominal pain can be located in other areas, but again as you mention that your IUD needs replacing, maybe it's just simply something related to your IUD.

Good luck, keep us updated,

Kat
07-28-2012, 11:53 AM   #8
deb123

Its just so confusing! Crohns seems to have so many ways to manifest itself, to keep you on your toes.

When i was first diagnosed it was because of diarrhea, cramping, weight loss, mouth ulcers etc.

I dont even have diarrhea, or stomach ache, just under ribs on right side and like i said groin, pelvic and leg pain.

The MRI also showed inflamation in rectum area, but my inflamatory markers in my blood tests were fine???

i understand that fistulas are caused by abscess, and i have been having my bloods done since jan this year because of feeling unwell, and none have had raised white cell count.
It all just doesnt make sense.
Sorry to whine on - but i feel that something is being overlooked, or maybe i will have to wait for the Remicade and all will be fine?!
07-28-2012, 12:50 PM   #9
Avw

My Support Groups:
The only advice I can offer is to see a colorectal surgeon, have him do an EUA (examination under anesthesia) if it's too painful to do it in his office. He would probably do it while they have you under for day surgery. I love my colorectal surgeon! He's been a life saver over the last eight years. Calls me his "pain in the ass." I think I'm the only person he sees that isn't over the age of 60, so he likes to tease.

But I do understand your frustration with having immense pain/pressure in a certain area, knowing that there is something there, and not being able to find it after four surgeries. I've been having horrible pain and pressure in my right butt cheek for two months now, after the first surgery he said I had a huge horseshoe perianal abscess. He packed it and placed a Seton drain, but I've still had the pain in the right cheek. A few smaller abscesses have popped up and either ruptured or been drained surgically, but still have the stupid pain and he can't find it! Just had a pelvic MRI done on Wednesday and still don't know the results, but it feels like it has moved closer to the surface. So hopefully he'll be able to find it Monday... because this is getting old!

Really hope you can get some answers and some relief soon!
07-28-2012, 02:14 PM   #10
Mountaingem
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Yes, I have a perianal fistula and always get groin and low back pain that radiates down my legs. Sweats and chills mean infection; you may need something stronger than Flagyl; I usually take Flagyl+Cipro in combo with mine.

My only permanent solution was Remicade and now Humira. Once the Crohn's came under control I was finally able to heal.

Ugh fistulas are the worst! Feel better!

I WILL STAY STRONG
I WILL FIGHT
I WILL WIN

Current Meds: Cimzia, Methotrexate, Prevacid, Sertraline, Nortryptaline, Prednisone, Atenelol
08-02-2012, 07:31 AM   #11
bigtruck

Hi debs I have the same problem with a fistula tracking to the pelvis, I have had a colostomy from feb and things have settled but before I had terrible problems like you have described especially the hip and groin pain, it turned out I had a psoas abcess and sepsis in my pelvis. I had suffered the sptoms on and off for years before everything came to a head tail end of last year. If I can be of any help get in touch. Ryan.
08-02-2012, 11:45 AM   #12
deb123

Hi Ryan,
thanks for sharing your experience with this pain. How did the doctors finally diagnose the problem? I thought an MRI would find everything. I just cant understand how a fistula can track to the left side, and i have no fluid/pus build up, but still be suffering with pain mainly to my right side.

I have holiday leave from work this week, and the swelling in my groin has lessened, but the nagging ache in my butt cheek is still there. Ive actually made my insole of my foot sore with changing my gait to keep the pressure off.

Im going to the GP tomorrow to ask for a different antibiotic as the Metronidazole made me sick and nauseous. Whine, whine, whine

I actually get fed up with hearing myself!!

Just hope they sort it, or the Remicade sorts it soon. By the way what medication are you on, and was the stoma to help your bowel heal?
08-02-2012, 01:08 PM   #13
bigtruck

MRI missed the problem but eventually the psoas abcess came to a head, yes the stoma is to allow it to heal, although its a loop colostomy which has sunk so I go to the toilet at least once everyday as well, but the idea is that at least the colostomy is keeping the pressure of the tract to let it heal. He also wants me to keep off azathioprine and steroids etc cos he doesn't want my immune system suppressed so that it has the best chance to heal. Most of my back leg and groin pain was right sided.
08-02-2012, 03:51 PM   #14
deb123

Hi Ryan,

When you say the psoas abscess came to a head, do you mean it came to the surface? Im petrified of having something like that happen, but i would rather be pre warned.

Did you get perscribed any antibiotics? Did you have any surgery to clean everything out?

How are you doing now?
08-02-2012, 04:04 PM   #15
bigtruck

It appeared at an old psoas abcess site that was dormant from the 90's I was on anti biotics after everything was cleaned out and a piece of small bowel resected, I'm doing pretty good now but will no doubt need more surgery.
08-02-2012, 04:32 PM   #16
deb123

Oh Ryan,

You really have been through the mill! What medication are you on now? Have they offered you the Biologics? I hope the Doctor gives me some antibiotics that will stop it in its track.

I will definitely ask about the psoas abscess as a possibility. I thought a MRI scan would pick up everything, but i know it doesnt explain everthing!
08-02-2012, 04:35 PM   #17
bigtruck

I'm not on anything now, I had remicade on and off from 2000 till 2008 but I'm allergic to it now.
08-02-2012, 04:39 PM   #18
bigtruck

If you look through my old posts you'll see me talking about hip pain years ago! I had An ileo in sept last year reversed in dec and an colostomy in feb it's been a rough ride, but I got a good run since my last temp ileo in 1996
08-03-2012, 03:57 PM   #19
deb123

Well i went to the GP today to ask for a different antibiotic, cos the metronidazole made me sick, and he refused!
He said he was worried about me getting C.Diff. He said if the consultant rings then he will follow his instruction and perscribe.

So im left with a throbbing butt cheek, groin, and thigh, and annoying sweats.
I had to beg and plead for the Metronidazole. Because there was no fluid build up they dont suspect an infection, just the fistula.
I feel better when im on an antibiotic, and the pain doesnt throb as bad.

Im back to work next week, and im worried that i wont be able to cope.
08-03-2012, 04:07 PM   #20
bigtruck

The sweats suggest to me that infection is present somewhere , coprofloxacin along with the metronidazole is pretty much the mainstay treatment, sounds like you need to see your consultant and plead your case. A ct scan would be beneficial but your consultant is the man to decide that. If you lie flat on your back do you have full hip movement ? If you are lying with your leg raised and someone try's to lift it up some more stretching the muscle are you in agony?
08-04-2012, 03:09 PM   #21
deb123

No, when i lie down it doesnt hurt moving my leg around. My hips hurt when im in bed, and i have to move alot because i wake up with pain and discomfort. I also get like a sciatic pain in my right leg which is really uncomfortable especially when trying to sleep. If i sit in a fixed position for a little while i get a throbbing ache in my right butt cheek, and have to twist about to move position, to take the pressure off - which is difficult when i am driving.
If im on my feet too long my groin swells which is also uncomfortable.

This is probably why im always so tired - i never get sound sleep or rest.

I wont hold my breath with the antibiotics, i'll ring the Gastro nurse who will have to ask the consultant and in turn will either 'yay or nay' to my GP if they remember!
Because my MRI didnt show a collection of fluid, and my blood shows no inflamatory or raised white blood cells, i think im stuffed until i take the Remicade.
08-05-2012, 12:47 AM   #22
dragonfly

if your not happy or have any doubt in your mind...get another opinion. it took me 3 different doctors to finally make sense of all i have going on and they all have told me different things!!! i have come to relieze/agree yes i do have crohns/colitis, HS, and fistulas. why are you waiting to start the remicade?? my new dr explained to me the reason remicade failed for me is because my old dr waited too long to start it...remicade works well/heals new fistulas NOT older ones. research it if you have time....the info the drs give you is VERY misleading. i was only on it 9 months and it did nothing for the crohns HS or fistulas...all it did was make for me a VERY long hard winter. and maybe check out HS....i was just dx about 7-8 months ago but have had these "things" for over 8 years!! and i was in the same boat with my blood work coming back as normal when really i was so bad off. i guess what im trying to say is PLEASE get another opinion!!! it wont hurt anything and could be the best decision you've ever made!! im 32 now and saw my 1st dr at 5yrs of age...believe me i have seen almost 22 all that time!! i was mis-dx then after surgery (when i was supossed to be cured of UC) they changed their minds to crohns....its been a long road for me but after many tries i have finally found myself a good dr who listens and wants to help me!! he does have experience with HS and that to me is a god sent....so many drs want to talk about it but when i ask if they have ever treated it they havent...as with my last colorectal surgen, she was a good dr no people skills at all but when i questioned her opinion and got a very rude cocky "im the dr dont question me" attitude i knew then it was time to move on...and im so glad i did! i wish you nothing but the best of luck and i hope that you and your dr can finally figure out what is going on and get you on the right path to healing. good luck!!
08-05-2012, 01:10 AM   #23
deb123

Hi Dragonfly,

Thanks for the good advice.

I cant start the Remicade because i have a Gynae day surgery scheduled for 18th Aug and it carries a strong chance of infection, so they think its better if i start early September.
08-05-2012, 01:51 AM   #24
stevereds

My Support Groups:
Hi DEb.
I had a Psoas abcess about 6 yrs ago. Pain was in right hip, pelvic /groin area etc. like u desribed. I would limp, and the pain got less, when I would sleep with my right leg up over a pillow etc.
They give you heavy duty antibiotics for it usually, and usually try to drain some of the infection under the psoas( a radiologist does it, while he is looking on his xray type screen, so he can be more precise and direct when darining it.

They left a JP ( a tube with a suction type ball at the end, that holds the pus/draingae etc)in the puncture hole to the psoas.

About once or twice a year, tht abcess will get larger and infected and eventually drain when it finally breaks thru the skin/old scar tissue. It is very painful as it builds to a head, but once it finally opens(lots n lots of pus comes out the very firt time it opens) The pain subsides a great deal, as the infection/ pus are now leaving the body.

From what I have read Psoas abcesses happen to Crohn's patient usually who have fistula type crohn's.

any questions feel free ask.
Steve
08-05-2012, 04:11 AM   #25
deb123

Hi Steve,
thanks for your reply. I will definitely ask about the Psoas abscess possibility. How was yours diagnosed?
Did you show any inflamation, or raised blood cells.
This disease is so confusing. If they drs dont see anything in your bloods or on your scan they dont treat you seriously, and i think they switch off to what you are saying. When i push for an answer to my symptoms they say 'im not sure, it could be referred pain' Grrrrrrr!
I find it quite stressful having to badger all the time, but i know i cant give up until i get a full solution.
08-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #26
stevereds

My Support Groups:
I think my white blood cell count was high. when they do a CT scan they can see if you have an absess or psoas abcess, which is the large muscle on the upper thigh to thewaist/pelvic area. The abcess is underneath it, and the fluid and puss put pressure on the muscle thus making it painful, , hard to bend or walk etc.
08-05-2012, 04:01 PM   #27
Thunderstruck

My Support Groups:
I experienced the same pain. I had a fistula tracking through my sacrum and into my gluteal muscle. Very time I had a BM I would be in so much pain. The infection and inflammation was putting pressure on my sciatic nerve. I ended up with a systemic infection due to this. I didnt have diarrhea as a Crohns symptom. Just painful abscesses and fistulas. I had 3 surgeries to drain the abscesses in my gluteal/sacral region, along with JP drains placed for weeks after to make sure they didn't come back. Well, it did. Along with fistulas in my jejunem, duodenum, uterus and some forming in the transvers colon. I obstructed, in 2 spots, so I was given an ileostomy. Knock on wood, no return fistulas. I DO highly recommend EUA, as someone previously posted. That's how mine we're first diagnosed. Sometimes it's too painful for an exam, and they usually need to probe the fistulas to Sefer the depth. I work as a GI nurse now, and we always refer to colorectal surgeons for fistulas. Even if they are superficial. I do wish you luck. It's a rough journey with these stubborn little things, but there's always a light at the end of the tunnel :-)

Currently on:
Remicade every 8 weeks
Vit D
Zofran as needed

Happily married and working as a Registered Nurse. Studying for the ET licensure so I can help my fellow ostomates!!
08-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #28
Thunderstruck

My Support Groups:
***to determine depth** Silly autocorrect!!!!!
08-11-2012, 08:50 PM   #29
BFoster

I had a similar reaction to imuran - with joint pain and fevers and sweating. It stopped when I stopped taking the meds. My GI thinks I should still the medicine...why do they always do that?

If there are no side effects to stopping that medicine for a few days - you may want to try not to take it for two days and see how you feel? Then try again on day 3 - if you get the same reaction then you know it is the pills.

Hope you are feeling better soon!
02-23-2017, 05:11 AM   #30
honantongl

I got a perianal abscess around 20 Jan 2017. Then I waited till the abscess became small(and slighly spread cross the center of the front of the anus, and I could feel soft tube from the abscess going in deeper) then around 10th Feb, I went to see the doctors, they felt it with finger and asked for ultrasound test (it's the type where you are on four and scanned from the outside of the anus) , they didn't see abscess anymore. But I could obviously feel the smaller (but still sometimes hard) lump next to my anus but a bit deeper.
Now for 2-3 weeks, started to have throbbing feeling/soreness under the same side of my thigh, and sciatic pain/soreness. The feeling in my thigh seems to be on the back side of the leg, and it's pretty deep, close to the bone. I could also feel soreness in my glutes (like after you had an injection, but less painful). It seems the muscles became tougher, and I could feel the stripe texture of it more easily. I could feel the soreness if I press some specific area. Seems the other side is more smooth . I don't know if this means infection or fistula?? I don't have obvious fever or chill.
The pain is not severe but on and off every day.
What test or examination should I do to know the exact problem? I'm very confused

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Fistulas, Fissures and Abscesses » Anyone got a Perianal fistula with groin,leg pain?