Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Fistulas, Fissures and Abscesses » Does getting sick slow fistula healing?

01-07-2017, 08:43 PM   #1
lisadc1

My Support Groups:
Does getting sick slow fistula healing?

I have a horrendous sinus infection (everyone in the family had it over the last 6 weeks or so and I thought I was going to escape it but NOPE). I haven't seen my GP yet because she and my GI are weary of giving me antibiotics because I have a history of recurring C-Diff.

I had surgery for perianal abscesses/fistulas the week of Thanksgiving, from complications from hemi/fissure surgery in which the sphinter muscle was cut...my healing has been so slow, including issues with bowel incontinence. I still have a good sized hole that I am keeping packed.

I read somewhere that having any infection, even something like a sinus infection, will slow down healing of the fistula. True??? Should I go ahead and see the dr. to clear this up? I am way over this fistula thing that is taking a long time to heal - or so it seems. I am new to fistulas and still stressed over this whole ordeal.

Feel like I am falling apart and can't get over anything...
01-07-2017, 09:27 PM   #2
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I don't know about an infection slowing the healing down
The year before I was diagnosed with Crohns Disease, I had surgeries for both a fistula and also hemorrhoids. It took me an awful long time to heal from the surgeries. I went to a doctor who diagnosed me with Crohns. The Crohns was what was causing my body so long to heal.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Fistulas, Fissures and Abscesses » Does getting sick slow fistula healing?