Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Right colectomy

08-18-2018, 02:39 AM   #1
fatjoe216

Right colectomy

Just had surgery yesterday and
I had my first bowel movement this afternoon. Is it normal to have a lot of blood in you stool? The nurses says that's normal. Just asking.
08-18-2018, 08:00 PM   #2
Trysha
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Same thing happened to me after right side colectomy......have to allow for healing time
takes a week or two for the blood to stop.
Hopefully you are still being supervised in the hospital
Feel better soon
Hugs
Trysha
08-19-2018, 02:13 PM   #3
fatjoe216

Same thing happened to me after right side colectomy......have to allow for healing time
takes a week or two for the blood to stop.
Hopefully you are still being supervised in the hospital
Feel better soon
Hugs
Trysha
Well the pooling of blood has stopped now it is only clots. 3 days later Now it's a lot of gas. When did a formed bowel movement take place for you?
08-19-2018, 02:18 PM   #4
fatjoe216

Well the pooling of blood has stopped now it is only clots. 3 days later Now it's a lot of gas. When did a formed bowel movement take place for you?
08-19-2018, 08:32 PM   #5
Trysha
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I think it was several weeks...did not work fast for me.....and even after things settled
It was a couple of months before it could be depended upon.
The right colon had cancerous changes as well as the large tumour so my recovery may differ a little from yours
Donít be too anxious and be sure to talk to your docs about whatís happening,.
08-27-2018, 06:56 PM   #6
fatjoe216

Well fast forward an additional 1 day hospital visit and 8 days later.... I had lost so much blood from the surgery i became anemic and had to have a blood transfusion. I did not find this out until the additional stay in the hospital.
Has anyone had this happen to them?
09-06-2018, 07:45 PM   #7
lgpcarter

My Support Groups:
I didn't have the blood loss but did have some blood and clots for a while. It took 5-6 days for my bowels to really wake up and get moving again after surgery and other few weeks for things to become "normal again.

Hope you are doing okay now.

Seton placement (2) and fistulotomy December 2013. Setons removed July 2014. 3 more setons June 2018.

Laparoscopic Right Hemicolectomy July 2016, 25 cms removed

Current meds: Humira 2 shots weekly, Entyvio every 4 weeks, Vitamin D 2000 IU

Previously: Remicade, Simponi, Pentasa, Sulphasalazine, Entocort, Stelara, Methotrexate, Prednisone, Imuran, Cipro and Flagyl
09-25-2018, 02:47 PM   #8
fatjoe216

After the transfusion I was sent home . A week after that I started bleeding again. I had a side affect of the Lovenox (bleeding in the GI tract). It was stopped immediately. After spending 1 more night in the hospital for observation I was sent home again. After 1 week my hemoglobin went from 7.1 to 8.2 which was 2 weeks ago.
I am going again for testing this week. I am feeling alot better now.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Right colectomy