Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Strictures & Obstructions » Considering Crohn's Resection Surgery

10-18-2018, 09:12 PM   #1
360Wellness

Considering Crohn's Resection Surgery

So I have been diagnosed since 2016 with Crohn's and a small intestine stricture. Before any meds, stricture described as severe. Currently, I have acheived remission with diet, Humira and Budesonide (3 @3 daily), together. I have been told I would benefit from surgery. My concerns are the disease spreading and the need for a bag, after. Another concern is also a situation of needing an emergency surgery. On a somewhat strict diet, I feel well most days. I am considering trying to taper the Budes and just remain on the Humira. Any thoughts? Any experiences? Anyone able to speak about life 5, 10, 15 years after ileum resection? Thanks in advance.
10-18-2018, 10:51 PM   #2
NuttyGuts

My Support Groups:
Hi 360Wellness,
I am in the same boat as you, it seems. I think I have had Crohn's since I was young, although it was not diagnosed until 2014. I have a stricture in the ileum, also diagnosed as severe. I was hoping to control the disease with diet alone, but after terrible pains, a round of prednisone, am now on Remicade and azathioprine. I feel well enough but both the GI doc and colo-rectal surgeon feel that because of the stricture, I should consider surgery now, while it would be a choice. In other words, don't wait until it's a total bowel blockage and an emergency surgery. I am still trying to wrap my mind around this, as I have always been a healthy person that didn't even take aspirin. I am worried about Crohn's reoccurring, about health problems later, and the loss of the ileocecal valve. Hope some post-surgery folks share their experience here.
10-19-2018, 08:40 PM   #3
Dyana

I had a hemi colectomy in 1989 and no activity or meds until 2003- then an abscess, drain, regrowth then a resection then an illiostomy and reversal. The years between surgeries are well worth the difficulty of the surgeries. Yes, many people do have recurrences but every case is different- there really isn't any way to know your future. Personally I would rather plan and have a needed surgery under my own conditions than an emergency one.
-Dyana

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Strictures & Obstructions » Considering Crohn's Resection Surgery