• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Dry Mouth ?

Why the Dry Mouth ?
I know This Probably has been discussed but, It is Worse in the last 6 month's without a medication change.
Some of These Meds Say Dry mouth.
But, It is Extremely Dry, More so at Night.
Some of these Meds are not everyday.
I assume Diarrhea adds to it but It is nothing new.
Any Idea's?
Thank you !
enbrel,,mirtazapine,,clonazapine,,tipromate,,zolpiden,,omeprazole,,loperamide,, b-12,, sumotriptan,,celebrex,,cipro,, vicodin

I wrote a post here the other day about this, but mine was mainly to do with the saltyness that came with it. But I do get a very bad dry mouth, and looking at your meds the only thing I'm on that you are is omeprazole. But I don't take that everyday, so I don't know whether it could be that?? Could be your not gettng enough fluids. As of tomorrow I'm upping my intake of water to see if it helps, so I'll write about it again in a week, to tell you if theres any change. Other than that, try sucking on sweets or chewing gum. Helps with producing saliva etc..

You may be dehydrated. I have an ileo so that why I get it but if you have Diarrhea and not replacing your salts then it can dehydrate you.

I drink rehydration drinks, plain old water doesn't replace the lost salts so although I try and drinkplenty of water it isn't enough by itself.

Hope you sort the problem soon

Lyndsey x

There's an OTC toothpaste that is designed especially for dry mouth. Look for it at your local pharmacy.
The problem with dry mouth is that it causes bad breath, cavities and affects oral gum health because one doesn't have the normal saliva to wash away the bacteria and protect it from abrasives and acidic foods.
Try to swish and rinse with water often, that may help and get plenty of fluids to keep yourself well hydrated. If your dry mouth persists you should mention it to your doctor.

I've had a dry mouth since I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease. I don't take Omeprazole. I take humira, pentasa and fibercon. At first I thought my Crohn's medications were causing me to have a dry mouth. I reduced my pentasa and noticed no change. I had a dry mouth before starting humira, so I don't think the humira is causing it either. Right now I'm trying to meditate each day because the only other reason for my dry mouth that I can think of is stress. I also read somewhere that crohn's disease is related to the mucus in the intestines and perhaps both my dry mouth and Crohn's are related to insufficient mucus production.

There are various reason behind dry mouth like:

Drugs that treat anxiety and depression
High blood pressure medication
Antihistamines
Decongestants
Anti-diarrheal meds
Muscle relaxants

So, if we are facing any such problems, it's important to find a dentist in your area and take treatment if needed. Regular dental check ups are highly recommended. FreeDentistFinder.com can help you to find dentist easily.

My GI Dr. Just told me that he thinks I may have Sjogens ( pronounced show grins) disease in addition to Crohn's. I just stocked up on dry mouth products, it makes a big difference. As you read the symptoms of this other disease, it makes you wonder which disease came first, or at least it made me wonder that.

My GI Dr. Just told me that he thinks I may have Sjogens ( pronounced show grins) disease in addition to Crohn's. I just stocked up on dry mouth products, it makes a big difference. As you read the symptoms of this other disease, it makes you wonder which disease came first, or at least it made me wonder that.
Sorry to hear that, I have it too and it's a crappy disease. Water and sugar free gum are your friends from this point in. Pacing yourself is really important because the fatigue and joint pain from this disease can be pretty bad.

The GI Dr. Could not figure out why my arthritis seemed to be continuing in spite of my Crohn's being in remission. So it makes sense. Thank you for the advice, it is very helpful!