• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hello, new here!

Hi, I am 26 yrs old from Baton Rouge, LA and was diagnosed with Crohns back in March 06. Next week I am having my third colonoscopy this year, but this time they will try and dilate the stricture in my large intestines. Has anyone ever done this before? My first colonoscopy diagnosed Crohns, my second was 2 months later to see if the Remicade helped open up the stricture. I am having this procedure done Wednesday Oct 4, I am hoping this works so that I can avoid having surgery, at least for a while....I am currently taking Pentasa, and Remicade every 8 weeks.

corey

R

rumplestiltskin

Hi corey - can't answer your question on dilation but I wanted to say hello and welcome to another newbie like myself. All the best for the fourth.

Aloha and welcome, corey. I can't answer your questions either because my condition is a little different from most of the folks here, but someone will wander in with answers soon. Good luck for Wednesday!

Oh, and by the way, Corey ... I was raised in Jefferson Parish, right down the Big Muddy from you.

Karen

FRIEND 4 1 & ALL
WELCOME ABOARD COREY ... I will be praying for you with your tests tomorrow and I pray that you get some good news. The medication that your on {Pentasa & Remicade} remind me of what my husband was on ... he too had to take Remicade Treatments every 2 months but he NO LONGER has to do them so thank goodness for that but I will be praying for you and do keep us posted ok ? Have a blessed day and once again WELCOME ABOARD !!

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Welcome to the forum Corey!

Dilation is not always done, but it is somewhat common. It can hopefully allow you to avoid surgery. Since it is done during the colonoscopy it should not hurt, and I do not think there is any after affects (as in pain or time needed to recover).

I hope it works well so let us know how it goes.

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
Strictures

I have strictures too. My first GI doc wanted to just do resection, end of story, my second GI doc wanted to give it time. So far, it's been since April and I have managed to improve. Let us know how the stricture dilation goes because should things get bad for me, I want to try that option before considering resection.

V

Valentina

hi corey! welcome to the site. I hope everything went well with the procedure. and you can avoid surgery.
:)

Update

UPDATE: Doc said the dilation was successful, he was able to stretch the stricture by 2 cm...doesn't sound like much?? Im all for delaying surgery!!! yeah im happy. Doc said he will increase my Remicade dosage in hopes to reduce the inflammation. :biggrin:

corey

R

Ruthg

Congrats. Haven't had strictures but have had bowel resection done and feel a lot better for it. By the way I too take pentasa. been on it for years, I really like it.

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Congrats on the successful dilation!

2cm may not sound like a lot, but it is possible for a stricture to get as small that there is room for only about a dime to pass. Even in this stage, you may still be able to eat food and avoid surgery for some time with not too much pain (it is no walk in the park though I imagine).

Hopefully the remicade will help to ensure that surgery is no longer even a thought.

V

Valentina

good luck Corey! thats great news it worked out, I hope the upped dose of remicade does the trick, and you can enjoy a bit of a normal life for a while :)