• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Flare causing serious libido issues

M

Micheladelfina

I've been going through a pretty bad flare for the past four months, and I have completely lost interest in having any sort of relations with my partner. It's just so difficult to even get into that frame of mind when I'm in constant pain and have very negative thoughts about my body. Beyond that, I can't even conceive how he can find me the least bit attractive as I spend a good portion of my waking (and sleeping) hours running to the bathroom, laying curled up with my heating pad, or drugged out on painkillers on the really bad nights. I feel awful, and he's been very understanding, but I wonder how long this will go on for. Dear lord, I've lost my mojo!!!

D

DannyB

I'm sorry I can't help you with your issue, hopefully you can get it sorted out soon and atleast you know your man must love you for being so understanding.

Hope you get it sorted soon!

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
As Danny said there is a good reason why he is being with you and so understanding. Do not get yourself down with negative thinking, especially as it can snowball into things much worse.

It makes sense that when your body is fighting your disease, that it does not have the energy for other things. It i perfectly normal to be in your situation and not feel the need to have any relations with your partner.

I think the best thing to do would be to discuss the issue with each other. You explain what you are feeling and he can do the same. Maybe he is happy to put things on hold for now, if it means that you are able to recover.

You should also disucss other options that may be available. Is there anything that you are up for that maybe you wouldn't normally do? Perhaps you may want to speak with a counselor together to discuss strategies of what can be done.

There is no right or wrong answer here, and you are perfectly normal for having this issue. You need to do what is best for you and your situation though.

S

Skinsfan1229

Listen to mikey, discuss it, their your partner then I hope you can talk to them about it, and most likely their more worried about the way your feeling and how your doing then having "relations"

V

Valentina

I know how you feel.. and it doesnt feel great at all :( when I became very ill I just couldnt stand the thought of being touched let alone have "relations".. that and being in a pretty blah relationship really took a lot out of me. I swore I would never be with anyone ever again.. no thanks. but things do get better :)
it sounds like you have a great partner though.. and if thats the case, talking about it all will prob help way more than it would hurt.
even talking to someone else about it couldnt hurt.
good luck :)

No advice here, but sending as virtual hug & a cyber map to use as you search for your mojo! :ytongue:

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
Mine didn't even try anything while I was suffering. He just worked on his hobbies until I felt better. He did, though, seem to take longer than normal showers. Hmmmm. One does what they have to.

I wish you the very best of luck and like everyone else I also believe that talking this kind of thing out could always help out. It sounds like he really cares for you so, yeah, it talking should help. I wish you the best of luck and hugs.

GOod luck

D

davyb

i know exactly how you feel michael. sometimes i feel like why in the hell is my girl still with me? i look and feel like shit, but people can be very understanding, just take it easy

R

ravyn142003

relations????

Micheladelfina said:
I've been going through a pretty bad flare for the past four months, and I have completely lost interest in having any sort of relations with my partner. It's just so difficult to even get into that frame of mind when I'm in constant pain and have very negative thoughts about my body. Beyond that, I can't even conceive how he can find me the least bit attractive as I spend a good portion of my waking (and sleeping) hours running to the bathroom, laying curled up with my heating pad, or drugged out on painkillers on the really bad nights. I feel awful, and he's been very understanding, but I wonder how long this will go on for. Dear lord, I've lost my mojo!!!
Oh I so know what you mean! My husband is very understanding also but dang, sometimes I wonder if we will ever get to be "close again"! I can't wear anything but a pair of sweats cause I can't stand anything on my stomach and I'm always with the heating pad instead of curled up with him. There's nothing going on at all with us and I just hate it but I just feel sick all the time, ugly and so gross. I'm always drugged up too and I can barely do anything.

M

Micheladelfina

Update

Chrissy, I am so sorry to hear that you are going through the same thing. Nothing has changed in my situation as far as the libido goes, but for a new reason. I had to have emergency surgery 3 weeks ago to remove my large intestine, so I now have a temporary ileostomy. Between the pain from the incision and the concept of having this bag hanging off of my body, there is no way in hell my boyfriend is getting close to me until it's GONE. I'm supposed to have a reversal surgery in about 2 1/2 more months. I have made it a point to be affectionate with him in other ways, though. I'm lucky in that he has been very understanding through all of this. As others have said on this post, talking to your husband and being open with him about everything is definitely important. Also, do not underestimate the power of talking, hand-holding, hugging and kissing, etc. It may not be the "real deal", but at least it brings some sense of normalcy to the relationship.
Hope you find your mojo soon!!!

R

ravyn142003

Wow Micheladelfina! What am I complaining about right!!! I'm sorry you have gone thru surgery and I guess I should be counting my blessings on that one for sure!!!! My husband and I are just having alot of "couple" problems along side me being ill and never feeling like it. But see, mine isn't very supportive at all. He has exspressed to me my being unattractive to him quite a few times now. Everytime we do attempt, nothing ever happens because he is very unattracted so......guess I'll just have to take matters into my hands.......LOL!!! Little humor there, but I've been hoping that things will get better but I just don't know! WE barely even speak or anything. It's pretty sad........but you, on the other hand!!!! You hang on to that one!!! It's great that you have someone to love and support you thru all that you are endurring. GodSpeed my friend, GodSpeed!!!

M

Micheladelfina

It really sucks when people we're close to don't understand what's going on and don't seem to care. It's not the same as your situation, Chrissy, but I have lost a few friends because they didn't know how to handle my being sick all the time. And the stress of being in a difficult time in a relationship can't be helping matters with your health, either. I hope that you do have people who you can lean on for support during this time.
Before I forget, since you mentioned being addicted to your heating pad too, I got a car adapter from radio shack and can now have my heating pad in the car with me all the time. It's great-- give it a try. Makes long car rides much more tolerable.

Michelle

D

DannyB

People in this life who do not take the time to understand their "friends" or "partners" situation are never worth bothering about because if they really cared they would take the time to understand.

V

Valentina

Micheladelfina said:
I had to have emergency surgery 3 weeks ago to remove my large intestine, so I now have a temporary ileostomy.
sorry to hear all youve been through. sounds like you have a great guy by your side to help you through it though.. those are the best kind :)
hope your feeling better since the op, and who knows, maybe feeling better will bring some spice back into your life?! I know it made a world of difference for me. good luck.

S

stephrena

Whoa this is so weird

Whoa this is so weird I have been able to find other people typing exactly the same problems I am having. I havent had interest in sex for awhile now, since I have been misdiagnosed and in pain for a year.....After a bowel rest and colonoscopy, I felt good enough for a few days, but am back to feeling bad again and have no libido whatsoever. I hope it comes back, otherwise, it will be some lonely nights for the husband. I finally have found a place where I belong! I feel like such an outcast, a burden on my family emotionally and financially- and I have a place to vent. YEAH!!!

R

ruthymg

Micheladelfina said:
Chrissy, I am so sorry to hear that you are going through the same thing. Nothing has changed in my situation as far as the libido goes, but for a new reason. I had to have emergency surgery 3 weeks ago to remove my large intestine, so I now have a temporary ileostomy. Between the pain from the incision and the concept of having this bag hanging off of my body, there is no way in hell my boyfriend is getting close to me until it's GONE. I'm supposed to have a reversal surgery in about 2 1/2 more months. I have made it a point to be affectionate with him in other ways, though. I'm lucky in that he has been very understanding through all of this. As others have said on this post, talking to your husband and being open with him about everything is definitely important. Also, do not underestimate the power of talking, hand-holding, hugging and kissing, etc. It may not be the "real deal", but at least it brings some sense of normalcy to the relationship.
Hope you find your mojo soon!!!
Hi, I know this post is quite old but I was just browsing through some of the older posts and saw yours. I am in the same situation as you in that I am married and have a temporary stoma, do you still have yours?
Anyway, intimacy no matter how hard you try when you have a stoma is always going to be difficult. I have a caring hubby who doesn't make an issue of my stoma and he's quite happy to be intimate but its still quite weird. Just wanted to let you know that there are others in the same boat, thought it may make you feel a little better.

Ruth

R

ravyn142003

My libido is gone!

Well hope your doing better. I haven't posted ina while and I'm wondering if anything has changed for you? I'll do just fine to never do the deed again. He hasn't changed at all and every time we do try he can't perform. He drinks and he well, lets just say he's having issues still! But I surely hope that you all find your mojo again, I've given up on mine! No more doing the deed for me. :depressed:

Kev

I think a healthy sex life is essential to anyone's overall well being. It's a little bit of icing on the cake of life. Was a time when the notion that people naturally lose their taste for icing as they age was the natural state of things. Research has shown that this just isn't the case.. So, if your libido has gone away, it could be the result of many factors.. Hormonal changes brought about by stress or life situations, your health, or the mental image of your body post surgery. These are all commonplace, but they don't have to mean that you can't someday experience the joy of sex again (and many would say the health benefits of a good sex life)..

When I hear someone, anyone, use the phrase 'doing the deed', it somehow evokes the conception of a pre-illness thought process that wasn't comfortable with the idea of sex to begin with.. It certainly strikes me as neither romantic or passionate phraseology.. More like someone was describing a household chore..
I could be reading a whole lot more into that phrase than was ever intended, but it might bear looking into. I just know that sexual release can do wonders for our body and spirit. The endorphins released thru sex have the power to release us from pain far better than any prescription drug, and the memory of good sex lifts our spirits when things turn against us far better than any pep talk any doctors are able to give. It seems shortsighted to pass up all of those positive benefits IF there are reasonable work arounds. For instance.. OK, one is feeling sick & tired. Perhaps a massage would help.. Done with no preconceived notion or sentiment that it must lead to sex. Can that person and their partner accept those terms? If yes, then there are specific positions.. these are called 'non demand positions' or NDP for short. The concept is that they allow for non sexual contact in a way that prevents it escalating to sexual activity without both partners being in agreement.
A simple massage can escalate to a sensual massage, a sensual massage may also escalate to sexual activity, but it doesn't necessarily have to. You get it? The physical contact without the fear or thought that it MUST lead to sex can & often does re-ignite the libido.. and if it doesn't do that immediately, then it can simply re-establish the good feelings, the bond that ties us to a partner, or them to us, a serious illness can undermine.. Like, is holding hands a sexual activity? No, but it can sometimes be just the thing that leads to it. OK, so maybe it's not just that a person isn't feeling well physically. Maybe they no longer find their body image an attractive one. Or maybe their partner doesn't. Regardless of gender, lots of folks
have issue with this, just as part of the normal aging process. Face it, even if you didn't have this disease, time can play havoc with ones personal appearance, and that can play havoc with ones feeling of self worth, attractiveness, and appeal. If you or a partner are facing this, then there are coping strategies to get past it. If you think you are presently unattractive, then deal with that, but not for a sexual basis only. Feed your id. Find something, anything, that makes you look better in your minds eye. If you don't feel good about your appearance on a day by day basis, how can you expect to feel good when nite time rolls around. Do that first. There have been days when I didn't feel like even getting out of bed.. and if I had allowed myself to, I probably wouldn't. But, that's the 1st step of a bad downward spiral.. so I ALWAYS found a way to get up, shave, shower, brush both teeth and hair.. Voila! No 'magic' transformation, but I did look better that when I first contemplated not getting up, and I felt better about myself as a consequence. Ok, so in the bedroom, one is self conscietous about the scars, or the incision, or whatever. turn the lites out. we're all pretty equal in the dark. It's just a starting point. Every little bit helps. Work your way up to candlelight, but at your own pace/comfort level. Maybe your partner has a problem? One may assume that he/she finds your scars, incisions, whatever ugly or unattractive. That may be the case, if so it's their problem. However, it may be a reflection of the importance we give to our scars, whatever. Or it may be that a partner sees those... and is reminded that this painful event in our lives was something they were powerless to prevent. That can be a painful observation for someone who truly loves us. I recall when one of my children had a nasty fall, resulting in a long incision.. It healed, and for a while my child did their best to hide the scar, but it was something they eventually came to accept as part of themselves. As for me, whenever I see it, it reminds me that despite my best efforts and my promises to the almighty to look after my children forever as a gift the lord had bestowed to me, I was unable to prevent it. I'm glad my son isn't scarred internally by his scar,
and as for me, I've just added it to my list of failings as a parent.. But I cope with it

A partner who can't see past your scars, or whatever. Time does heal all, but in the interim, what about using a blindfold? It can be magical, if for the moment one can lose sight of the method behind the madness. Think of it as a chance to lose yourself (with your own hangups) and your partner (with theirs) in a spirit of adventure, mystique, intrigue. Everyone puts on a blindfold, plays catch as catch can, is allowed to indulge their fantasies.. adopt the names of movies stars, etc..
Figures from romance novels, (just not the neighbours, or past relationships,OK?)
or whomever. lose yourself in the fantasy, don't concentrate on your life or issues.

Just a few thoughts from an ol fart. I'm not saying that sex is essential to life, but it is elemental. Tossing it away without giving it a chance to remain an element of ones life seems a bit shortsighted. There may come a day when it leaves forever.

G

groovychick

i have them 2

don't worry your not alone i get flear ups alot to:( but what makes it worse is if i just frown all the time, yeah meds are good but SMILING IS THE BEST THING YOU CAN DO!!:ylol2: :) (plus its also good if you keep a game boy or book or something to do in the bathroom/toilet he he:tongue: )

R

ravyn142003

Kev,

Very well said I must say. Your so right. Yes sex feels like a chore for some people but in my heart I wish that this wasn't so believe me. I love to make love and I miss sharing myself with my husband but this is just how it is for "us". yes, could be many reasons on my end and his as well. Not just my illness and his alcoholism. I'd love to enlighten yoiu but I'm afraid that is a very long story!

I appreciate what you've said and thanks for the food for thought.

Christina

P.S. I hope to be able to get back on here alot. Now I'm at a relative's in another state on thier computer, ours is down but hopefully when I get back home my husband and I will be able to fix it. I need you all!!!

Kev

Rayvn142003 Not to put you under a microscope in a public forum, but I noticed you used the phrase 'my illness and his alcoholism'.. I've seen alcoholism in many forms over my years. I count myself truly blessed that it was not a factor in my life growing up.. However, I've seen the impact it had on people that I love.. My ex-wifes family has a strong, long standing history with it... and I've witnessed first hand two things.
First, it definitely has a genetic factor to it.. it has passed down the generations in her family, and I've seen troubling indications that it hasn't stopped progressing thru the family tree... meaning our kids now fall under the black cloud of it as well.
Second, it isn't a proclivity, or an inclination. People who suffer from it arent' just weak willed, or any other judegement one not affected may be prone to jump to. The fact of the matter is that they are 'ill'. I truly believe that alcoholism is a form of illness.. a genetic weakness that causes people to react differently to alcohol than a typical individual would. The lure is stronger, the need more compelling. In that area, I see vast similarities between the sickness of alcoholism and all IBD's.
I know first hand of people who I thought I could depend on in my illness who've expressed a sense that IF I REALLY wanted to, I could just wish my illness away. Seems that sentiment extends itself to other illnesses, like alcoholism for example.
Perhaps something you and your partner need to accept is that both of you are ill.