• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

...and this is my story

Hello everyone, my name is JJ, I am 34 and live in Toronto Canada. I am totally new to this forum as well as the complex Crohn's world. I was actually just diagnosed today but to give you a brief intro, my stomach started giving me problems roughly 3 weeks ago and it wasn't until 5 days ago I decided to get it checked out. I went to emerge and told them my symptoms (stomach issues, loose stool) and they did a quick CT scan and decided that a colonoscopy was in order. They did the colonoscpy and found that my colon was inflamed. I also gave them a stool sample and the tests came back today. I have Crohn's. Tonight they have decided to put me on the Prednisone at 50mg and they said they will try to ween me off it if my symptoms get better. They also said they would use a medicine called Imuran later on to maintain my colon issues as I ween off the Prednisone Steroids.

Now my question is this. Is this the way to go? Should I be worried about Pred Side Effects? is 50mg standard? Have you heard of Imuran?

I am just scared and I just want to try my best at regaining a normal life. I am a freelance illustrator and graphic designer and want to get back to a healthy lifestyle. Is this too much to ask? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

JJ

JJ - I really don't know a thing about this but I just wanted to say good luck! I hope that things work out for you. I know you must be feeling anxious - i know I am! A friend of mine was diagnosed 10 years ago and only has flare ups 1x a year or so and does have a normal life....well hes a bit odd but it has nothing to do with his chrons.

Hi JJ and Welcome!
Yes your treatment does sound standard. Prednisone is not a very pleasant drug, but it does miracles!!! I have been on both Prednisone and Imuran. I have taken Imuran for more than 20 years. Some people can`t take it, but I have done well on it til now. It is not strong enough to heal my fistula( something I pray you will never have to deal with).
There is alot of information on this forum and very helpful people. Ask away!!!!
Hope you are feeling better soon!!!
Brenda

Nyx

Hi JJ...we all seem to have a love/hate relationship with Prednisone. It works wonders on your guts, but wreaks havok with other things. Just remember to take it very early in the morning so that you can try and sleep for a few hours by midnight or so. That was the worst side effect for me, the insomnia. But, take heart, it's only for a short while and it really does make you feel better. BTW, I started on 60mg and was on it for 6 months (yes, they did a slow taper with me, which worked very well for me). I was also on Imuran and didn't have any side effects from it, but unfortunately for me, it was too late for it to help me (I wound up having an emergency colostomy last December). I may be back on the Imuran this week though, as I need a maintenance drug to keep me in remission :)

Congrats on the quick diagnosis! I hope the pred and the Imuran work for you!

ameslouise

Hi JJ and welcome! Sorry about your Crohn's DX, but it's great that you got it so quickly and have a good plan of attack. As you read more on this forum, you'll see it took many people years and years to get diagnosed!

Pred - we all love to hate it, but bottom line, it's a miracle drug! And if you start on the Imuran right away, and it works for you - you can be off the pred in a few months.

Being on this forum has saved my sanity the past few months. Lots of great advice and good moral support.

Good luck to you - please keep us posted on your progress.

- Amy

Astra

Hi JJ
and welcome

I've sent you a message via Facebook
We're here to support you and advise, you're no longer alone!
see you round the forum, and enjoy
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Hi Tsensop, and welcome. I am amazed how quickly they are able to diagnose people nowadays. It is scary finding out what you have, but a relief to know it's not just in your head. Prednisone and then Imuran is a standard treatment for many people. I have been on Imuran for what seems a very long time - over 10 years I figure. I haven't had too many side effects I can blame on it, and it has done a decent enough job of keeping my symptoms in check. Prednisone isn't fun, but it is a necessary evil for most people. I have been on and then off it so many times I've lost count. Hopefully it puts your symptoms in check and you are able to get off it quickly.

Good health and best of luck.

Hi JJ,

That was a rapid diagnosis!
Did you never have symptoms before 3 weeks ago?
No diarrhea? No abdominal pain? Nothing?

Imuran put me in remission. I am on it again along with remicade in hopes for another long remission. I didnt have too many side effects. I was a little more prone to infection but nothing too bad.

The Prednisone will help you feel better really fast. Its a double edged sword and can cause lots of frustrating side effects, but it really does cool the inflammation down.

Hi JJ,
This is the treatment plan I've been advised to follow. I'm on Pred now and may be going onto Azathiaprine. The Pred has made me feel fabulous but have the moonface and munchies. It might take a while to get it right but at least now you can look forward to getting some treatment and normality back.
Let us know how you get on,
Gail