• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

An Update - barium enema anyone??

Hey,

Its been a while since I last checked in although I check the boards regularly.

Im still having the same recurrent on/ off symptoms but for the last few months I have developed a deep dull ache in my left side which is where the colonoscopy got stuck at the kink in my colon. Its not there all the time and sometimes I even go whole days without it but just lately its been there more and more typically 6 hours after food and at times is more intense. My stools are either diarrhea of flat strips or a mixture of both.

I saw my consultant and he wants to do a little barium enema just up to the sigmoid colon where my pain is to check for a stricture or torsion but I don’t have to have any prep? Does this sound normal? I was surprised I don’t have to fast or take any kind of laxative? How will they be able to see anything if there is stool there? I guess they know what they are doing, im just scared they will miss something and I know this pain is not normal.

Has anyone else had a colon stricture? Was the pain a dull gnawing ache that comes and goes?

Thanks for all your help 

Clover x

Chrismac

Best of British
I used to only have a colonoscopy in my sigmoid colon as that is where the crohn's always was and I never did any prep..

What they do is give you an enema at the hospital and it only clears the lower section of your colon.... It kicks in within a couple of minutes and then I usually spend a good 5 - 10 minutes on the toilet to make sure it's all out.. then they'll have a look.

I can't help you on the stricture I'm afraid, but I hope it all gets sorted quickly!

Christine

I have had a barium enema and had to have a prep similar to the one you do before a colonoscopy (clear liquids the day before and laxatives). I have also had the barium "milk shake" (drink it and they image)... so I've had the barium from both directions! I have a stricture in my small intestine and the pain does come and go, especially after meals, however I don't have any narrowing in my colon. I hope they can get good images from your barium x-ray and you get some relief soon.