• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Diving the same week as a colonoscopy?

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
Hi all:

My first colonoscopy is coming up in a few weeks. A friend and I have planned to do our open water dives for PADI certification (scuba diving) this summer. Now, he really wants to go three days after the procedure. Would this potentially be difficult to manage so soon after a colonoscopy? I'd be going out of town for a weekend, hauling air tanks around, and diving for two days straight. Thing is... he's my drive. I can't really get to the dive sessions without him.

Thanks for advice!

-Kelly

Last edited:

Nyx

I don't see it being a problem. I felt fine immediately after every one of my colonscopies. People make it out to be a bigger deal than it really is. First coming out of the sedation you might feel groggy, but that passes very quickly. I was back to work the same day that I had one of mine done. It's a piece of cake :)

Good luck!

The only problem you might have is you may be sore after your procedure. I was sore for a few days afterwards, and the next day I could barely bend over to pick anything up.

Shouldn't be an issue. I was perfectly fine right after except for the sedation part. I wouldn't advise going while partially sedated lol :)

I agree with Katie and Cindy. Other than being groggy from sedation afterwards I didn't have any soreness or anything that kept me from doing things.

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
Yay! Thanks, all. My family tends to get sick from sedation, but I've never had it done so it might not be the same for me. And surely that would pass within 3 days, anyway.

I so appreciate your help. :)

Off to plan a dive,
Kelly

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi Kelly I got the information you need!!! My husband is a PADi Advanced open water diver, and he knows about my colonoscopies and he said he cannot see why any reason for you not to go. So go, have fun!!!!!! Whoo hoo! Let us know how your trip goes.

Kelly said:
Yes! Help from Crohn's experts AND from a diving expert. Awesome!
Now, where else are you going to get that kind of know-how???

I'll bet if you wanted to add "hanging wallpaper" and "Mariachi Music" to the mix, (underwater wallpapering while listening to a Mariachi band, shortly after a colonoscopy) SOMEONE here could assist you!

What a great group! yes.gif

I used to go diving and had no crohns related issues at the time. Personally I'd have thought that a clear three days after the procedure should be fine. I also tend to think that the positive aspects of doing something you love would be beneficial overall and will give you something to look forward to during the prep

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
Just a quick update: the weekend is planned and I am getting really excited for the chance to try diving outdoors, and also excited for a weekend in the mountains. (Although I'll admit I am still nervous about the possibility of feeling sick. It's just something to work through, eh.) I've been re-reading the workbook to try to make sure I don't get to the bottom of the lake and think, "um...what's the signal for low air again? How do I check for that?" Have booked myself a room in my favourite accommodations in Jasper (it's super cheap, and the owners are friendly and great hosts), made brownies for my friend and his partner (since they're doing all the driving), and now I just need to get through this first colonoscopy and then it's dive time! My mom is flying out from the East Coast to help out on the day of the test and the day after, which is a pretty amazing thing for her to do. So, as Steve pointed out, there are positive things to look forward to and help make the process more manageable.

Thanks again for advising that doing this so soon after a colonoscopy will be fine. :)

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
David, that's the place! I think this is one of the dive sites: http://www.malignelake.com/. But, please don't be [HALF] jealous -- (a) you're actually pretty close to Banff/Jasper (one short flight and a shuttle), and (b) you live in Seattle! I've never been but have tried to visit (we had to cancel), plus I keep scheming to find a job in Washington because it looks like such a great place to live. I'd love to stay in one of the floating homes some day and kayak across the water to go out for supper.

Kelly said:
David, that's the place! I think this is one of the dive sites: http://www.malignelake.com/. But, please don't be [HALF] jealous -- (a) you're actually pretty close to Banff/Jasper (one short flight and a shuttle), and (b) you live in Seattle! I've never been but have tried to visit (we had to cancel), plus I keep scheming to find a job in Washington because it looks like such a great place to live. I'd love to stay in one of the floating homes some day and kayak across the water to go out for supper.
HAH! Thanks, Kelly. Seattle is great, definitely a lot of very nice restaurants (at least, there WERE, back when I could EAT! :lol:) I meant I was jealous of your terrific diving weekend! The pics in your link are so pretty!

You've actually looked into moving to Washington? If you like the Pacific NW, how about Vancouver? I've been there several times, it's terrific, and only about 120 miles from Seattle.

Plus, you get HEALTH CARE!!! :ylol:

Wait, why am I laughing... :eek2:

If you ever want to come to Seattle, I'd be happy to show you around! yes.gif

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
Seattle, Vancouver, Spokane...I'd be happy to move to any one of them. (Although you're right that the health care thing matters!)