• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohns story what is remission

I myself have had crohns for 4 years now. I have had a horrible time with it. In the last two years have had 2 resections done. I have had about three feet of my small bowel removed. It dosnt seem to want to go away. Try everthing from humaria remicad and of course from time to time pretasone. Nothing seems to work. I am taking lomotal like candy just so I dont have 10 to 20 liquid bowel movements a day. This in itself has caused me to go into a depression and I have no energy. I have tried and tried different things but nothing seems to help! I might have a week span that things are just ok. My life has been a mess for a couple years do to my wife getting cancer Leukemia about 3 years ago and me losing my job about a year ago due to the economy. My GI doctor thinks its stress have tried antidepressents but dont seem to help. I was doing some research and came across this support forum. If anyone has any ideas please post something need to get energy back to support my family thanks for reading and sorry if spelling sucks.......:depressed:

Welcome to the forum! Glad you found us, Toolshed11!

I am still somewhat of a newbie to Crohn's, so I haven't been through some of the difficult stuff some others on here have. Hopefully one of them will be able to share some encouraging words for you! :)

It is a nasty disease that can definitely take control of your emotions and depression seems to be very common for people dealing with it. What about something like counseling where it's not so much focused on dealing with life's problems with medication? Support is very important! Finding people on this forum has helped me tremendously in getting rid of that feeling that I'm all alone.

Have you been tested for anemia? Could be a reason for the lack of energy. Or another nutrient deficiency. Do you take any supplements? Protein replacement drinks like Ensure, Boost, and Carnation Instant Breakfast have been used by many during flares. They have lots of protein and a whole day's worth of nutrition in them.

Hope you find the support you need here :) Just wanted to welcome you!

thanks for the reply
dreamintwilight

Yeah I did tried counseling but didnt seem to help. I have read alot about supplements but I have stuck with boost for now. My life revolves around this stupid thing it just consumes u. When I came across this forum I was definitly happy to see there are other people out there to talk to about crohns. It gives you a sense that your not alone. I know I need to be more positive about it but its hard. I have to kids and a wife thats sicker than me. Anyways thanks for your response and help its great to talk to someone

Thanks Frank

I agree, it is hard! I can't imagine having to deal with a sick spouse as well. Just remember to take care of yourself too! Your kids and wife need you healthy :)

I know there are some people on here going through some difficult situations as well. What I love about this place is people really come together to support each other!

Definitely look into some extra vitamins. Unfortunately, this disease doesn't allow us to absorb things properly and we need the extra supply, especially when the disease is active. Vitamins are absorbed through our intestines, so when they are inflamed we're not getting what we need. If you are deficient in iron or B vitamins especially you can feel really worn out.

I'll keep you in my prayers, Frank! :) Feel free to vent and search around the forum when you need to.

I am so thankful I found this forum! My name is Chad and I am 22 years old. I was just recently was diagnosed with Crohn's a couple of months ago and I feel your pain. I was in the hospital for 6 days straight and it was horrible. I couldn't eat a thing and the person in the bed next to me would always be watching the food channel. About 8 weeks later I had a really bad flare up and lost some blood. When I called my pharmacy they thought it might have been a lesion, I went to the urgent care center and they had me to to the ER where I spent another 3 days in the hospital and all they seem to do is pump you full of steroids and antibiotics. It is so hard for me I am in so much pain all the time I barely have my energy.

I am taking Prednisone, Pentasa, some antibiotics and Enbrel. I have also tried several others as well without much luck. I am on Enbrel because shortly after my mother passed away when I was 18 I started to be in tons of pain and my entire body would stiffen, I would get ciatica and there would be tons of pain in my lower back. I was diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis which has also been really difficult to deal with. I am so stressed out I feel like I am in a dark damp box and cannot escape it. Luckily I have family and a girlfriend that supports me, but I am so sad because I bring out all my stress on them.

For Toolshed11 and everyone else that has to suffer with this I am so sorry. I hope and pray for the day a cure is found. Stay strong.

-Chad

Chad

Stay strong bud. Its really bad at first and you will have a long road ahead of you but you will find away to get thur it. The biggest thing for me is the stress in my life and how it affects my crohns. The real important thing is to talk about it to your friends and family. Let them know how you feel. I myself don't take well to the hole shrink thing but it is worth a try if you haven't yet? I just found this forum and there seems to be a wealth of stuff on crohns. Things that other people tried and worked for them. Use it to talk to your GI doctor to see if they think it will work for u. I know I am new here but it seems to be a great place to vent and relate when other people with crohns. Hang in there its really hard at first

Astra

Hi Frank
and welcome

glad you found us, you're no longer alone with this horrible disease, feel free to vent whenever you want, I was going to suggest Prednisolone to you to boost your energy levels and help heal your pain, but you've tried that?
I believe we've all suffered from bouts of depression and falling into that black hole of despair, I've been there and it's not pleasant, but I also believe that you are the only one that can get yourself out of the hole by whatever means possible, I hope you can find the strength, courage and confidence to do this Frank, and sending love to your wife and family, good luck, lots of support here for you.
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Astra

Hi Chad
and welcome

might be an idea to move your post to the 'your story' thread, cos it will get lost, and you may not get the welcome you deserve.
hang on in there, sounds like you have an excellent support system, it is scary at first trying to get your head around this disease, each day is different from the last, sometimes you feel like you're flogging a dead horse! It's all about self management, and in time, you will be able to control and manage this with ease.
glad you found us tho, and lots of support for you wheneva you need to vent
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
If anyone has any ideas please post something need to get energy back
Have you had your iron levels checked? I have terrible lethargy if I don't take my iron supplements.

And I had to stop taking Lomotil -- it produced searing gut cramps. I'm still "going" 10+ times/day. It saps a lot of energy going that often. I hear you.

thanks GoJonnyGo

I think the lomotil thing I might try been having bad cramps. Yeah the world revolves around where the next bathrooms at lol thanks for the support everyone!!!!!!

Kev

Hi Toolshed

Welcome to the forum, and to the wonderful world of crohns.
First thought might be to have yourself checked for red cell levels... Mine dropped to about 10% of what they should be and I had zero energy. I got them slowly back to normal via iron pills, but it took nearly 8 months. You also need to keep an eye on your diet... avoid foods that make you worse, and concentrate on strength building items like a hi protein diet. Take vitamns, supplements, and search for a treatment that will get you on the road to recovery. I have had great luck with low dose Naltrexone, but it isn't a good fit for everyone. Others have gone the SCD route... I just want to wrap up by saying you aren't alone with this disease, AND that eventually you'll find a combo method that will have you feeling better. Keep positive thoughts...