• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Prednisone

This isn't really a post about Crohn's disease, but it's about prednisone.

My uncle was diagnosed with Wegener's disease and they put him on 200 mg of prednisone!!! Can you believe that? The most I ever took was 60mg and it made me insane. He says he doesn't really feel much side effects from it and he doesn't even have the moon face. I just couldn't even imagine taking that much of it!

That's unbelievable. I didn't even know you could take that much. The most I have ever been on is 40 mg. That is going to be one long taper!

Wow, 200mg?! How long does he have to take that?? I can't imagine what that would be like, 60mg was horrible enough!

I went & looked up Wegener's disease :eek2: ~ gosh, and here I thought Crohn's was bad!!
I know! I feel really bad for him. He's had all kinds of crazy symptoms from it.

I think he's on the 200 mg a day for 2 weeks then taper kind of quickly. He was on 80 for about a month and they decided it wasn't doing enough so they bumped it up. His doc said 200 mg is as high as they can go with it. Whew!

Interesting, yeah, I was looking up more about it, too... Maintenance drugs like azathioprine and methotrexate are used for that condition, as well. I hope he can come off all the crazy prednisone onto something else that will keep him in remission!!