• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My 46 year Saga

Born in Montreal – July, 1963.
As a baby, was allergic to chicken. Apparently I was very cranky as well.
Father smoked in the house.
Age 10 – tested TB positive. Treated for a year.
Parents divorced at age 12.
Had Diarrhea, terrible cramping off and on for 4 years.
Age 16 diagnosed with Crohn’s. – Doc put me sulphazaline.
3 flare ups, 3 hospitalizations
1980 – with the 3rd flareup, my intestines were pressing against my bladder/urethra so that you could see my urine filled bladder rising from within my stomach. They decided to operate – first resection. (Montreal Jewish General)
Felt pretty fantastic for 2 years post op. 1982 Diarrhea, recurrence. Went on Asacol.
Through a circuitous route, ended up in New Jersey. 1992.
1995-97 had three fall flare-ups with the third not subsidizing even with prednisone. Second Resection (Mount Sinai)
After second operation the real trouble began. – I had terrible gas. I had all possible symptoms of IBS (of course at the time I didn’t know I had IBS on top of Crohn’s).
Went to many different GI’s.
2001 – Found a doctor I really love. Really knows intestines.
2001- I was diagnosed with IBS.
Between 97 and 2010 I tried many different medications.
Crohn’s:
Pentasa – nothing.
6mp – worked but then 2 years later blood tests forced me off of it.
Remicade – got nauseous but I had a stricture so Doc believes that it was stricture related so no more biologics for me.
Methotrexate. Worked slightly – I think my stricture was a big culprit in it not helping me fully.
Cipro, Xifaxan
IBS – Hyomax (big help),Librax – no help, immodium (cramping but at time I might have had c-diff so I need to try again), lomotil
There were probably other drugs for both, so many – it’s all a blur.
2009 – 2 flareups led to 2 hospitalizations.
Entocort – did nothing for me after second hospitalization. Prednisone actually worked a little better but could not get below 10mgs.
Feb, 2010 – Third Resection (New York Presbyterian – Cornell)
Started flagyl – then started feeling horrible. Colonscopy - visually diagnosed with C-Diff though two tests proved negative however vancomycin really helped.
Tested for Remicade antibodies negative but doc still decided on Humira.

Started Humira Yesterday.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hey gr123 glad you told us your story! Wow that is alot of meds. I have been on most of them myself. Some of us can't get relief no matter what we try. Glad your trying Humira, hope it does well for you. Lots of people here to cheer you on. :hang:, hope you get relief and remission soon!

Last edited:
Thanks for your story. Welcome to the site. I have been a member for a little while now and love that I can always count on everyone here to listen. Hope your new med works for you. Lots of ppl here who are willing to help you if they can. Good luck

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi gr123 and welcome,:bigwave:

Wow what a journey you have had! I hope things start to turn around for you and you find some relief. All the best.

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Wow, great detailed history GR. Regular Joe had a conversation with someone on this site about ibs on top of crohn's recently. He is very informative. I hope the humira works out for you. Good luck.

Regular Joe

Hi grl123,

Welcome.

Thanks for the detailed history. I noticed you had some difficult experiences, but also some relief in between. That's pretty much how the disease works.

I know C-diff is a HUGE problem and difficult to eradicate. I understand it takes a long time and paying a huge amount of attention to your surroundings and living space.

I wish you the best. We are here to help.
Joe

Astra

Hi gr123
and welcome

wow, that is quite a story, thanks for sharing!
really hope that Humira is 'the one'
stick around, you will be a great asset to the forum with all your med knowledge!
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Hi there GR123 and welcome to the site.

I'm on Humira too and I just started it just Friday (second time on Humira as it worked really well for me the first time in combination with Methotrexate).

It sounds like you've really been through the mill *hug*, I do hope the Humira works for you.

busy