• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How old are you?

How old are you

• 17 or younger

Votes: 52 9.2%
  • 18-21

Votes: 81 14.4%
  • 22-29

Votes: 156 27.7%
  • 30-39

Votes: 108 19.1%
  • 40-49

Votes: 85 15.1%
  • 50-59

Votes: 57 10.1%
  • 60-69

Votes: 18 3.2%
  • 70+

Votes: 7 1.2%

• Total voters

KWalker

I am 21 and medical records say they found my crohns when I was (drumrooooool) 2 years old. The doctor said at the time, I was the second youngest person in Ontario to have crohns. My first major "outbreak" involved being taken by emergency helicopter to a hospital in a major city

I'm 35 and I was diagnosed about 8 months ago. Apparently, I've had Crohn for quite awhile (I have a stricture) but I didn't have much symptoms, just now and then more needs to go to the toilet which I used to blame on stress and minor stomach bugs symptoms.

Prednisolone 30mg/day (tapering 5mg every week)
Pentasa 2mg/day

I am now 25 and I was DXed when I was 22. I've had the joint pain (mostly my knees) and occasional abdominal pain since I was about 12.

I am..gulp..51!:) I was diagnosed with crohns at 39 but had first 'flare' at 20 with a ruptured appendix,peritonitis.
:rosette1::rosette1:

I've had symptoms since early 20's, was diagnosed 5 years ago, I'm 46 now!, nearly 47, nearly 50! Oh God!
and anyway, you're only as old as the man you feel!! (allegedly)
I was diagnosed early in 1966 and am now almost 74. This summer i began a course of Remicade-so far the most effective treatment I've had over the 46 years1 My fingers are well and truly crossed!

@Rick62 and @Donnyor - definitely relieved to find a few other baby boomers negotiating the forum, and Donnyor, VERY impressed that having been diagnosed in 1966 you are moving from strength to strength!!

HD

57 now and diagnosed when I was 15 - ileostomy since 25 (and multiple revisions since too). Now got short(ish) bowel and so Hickman Line for saline/mg infusions. Life's been great though - and still is! Good luck to everyone!

Yeaaaaa 37 today and was dx crohn's age 11. they didn't know much about it then as there was only just under 1000 people in Ireland at the time, they told me I would probably never have children, be in a wheel chair and have bowel cancer by 30. I have two beautiful children, that I am currently running the around the backyard with with and I am grateful for everyday I am given.
Love and good health to you all.
Gwen xxx

I am 37 and was diagnosed at age 32, though I'm pretty sure based on biopsies done five years before my dx, I had it then as well. I believe it got overlooked because the doc wasn't looking for that - I had to have an ERCP, so he realized it wasn't bowel-related, but it should have been looked into after the issue at hand was taken care of. I must say though....five less colonoscopies is fine with me!!!

I was 28 yrs. old. and now am 49yrs. old and still in pain with big belly most the time. Starting new med's soon. I am sooooo done with having to take prednisones. On 30mg but need to go back up to 40mg. 5 weeks to go.:rof:

I'm 39, was diagnosed when I was 8, but had symptoms from about age 2.

My Mum is 70 and was diagnosed when she was 12.

Whenever I think about all the years I've dealt with it, I have to remind myself that my mother has dealt so much longer.

ohhhhhh your all so young , im 67 , had symtoms on and off throught my life , but not diagnosed til 2003 , made up for it though , ive had emergency surgry twice last year .. mrsa , pneumonia twice , septicmia , pancreatitis , lost all my pottasium ,, blood transfusion and artificial feeding and all last year .. waiting for hemicolectomy reversal and removal of hernia and gallbladder... Im lucky to be here and glad of it , what a wonderful year to b e British ...

67 ! Wow, you're older than me! I'm 64, going on 65! Had this for years, only this year found out it had a name, crohns!

Thinking of retiring soon -are you retired? Do you find that retirement helps you to manage your IBD?

Hi - I'm 66!! Think I'm the oldest so far? Anyway, I was diagnosed at the age of 50 - thank God my children had grown up by then - I so admire people who are coping when theirs are still young - it must be so difficult - well done all of you!!

Hi - I'm 66!! Think I'm the oldest so far? Anyway, I was diagnosed at the age of 50 - thank God my children had grown up by then - I so admire people who are coping when theirs are still young - it must be so difficult - well done all of you!!
I've just turned 69 - but, if you look at the results of the poll, we have 5 members 70 and over.

Isn't it amazing how many people were mis-diagnosed! I've just been reading people's message and it is incredible. I was diagosed with IBS five years before they realised it was Crohn's. I had an emergency op. when they removed the whole of my large bowel and half the small bowel. When they analysed it they discovered, surprise surprise, that I had Crohn's. I had been telling them for years that my grandad and sister had it, although they deny it runs in families, so I wonder if others have had this experience.

Also, I'm now on Methotrexate for my pain - eventually I hear. It's not working yet but they've just put it up to 12.5mg. I'm self injecting but the nausea is still a problem. Anyone have an answer? I've tried all sorts such as ginger, domperidone, Gaviscon, Milk of Magnesia. Nothing seems to work.

I was having awful problems with methotrexate - nausea mainly but also getting lots of cellulitis and fatigue. They didn't suggest anything to me, just took me off it and put me on the next thing.

So sad you've been diagnosed at such a young age. At least mine waited until my children had grown up. Lots of luck with the treatment.

This poll is a good example of why IBD saddens me- 10% are under 18. Certainly don't mean to say it's ok when you are older, but when you are just starting out in your life and have to put the brakes on it seems a bit more unfair.

This is further aggravated by the fact that, at a time when personal image is most vulnerable and most likely to be damaged, many of these under 18s have to deal with an illness where they are often unable to control their bodily functions. Not being able to control your bowels is hard enough on the self-image of mature adults, let alone on pre-teens and teenagers.

This is further aggravated by the fact that, at a time when personal image is most vulnerable and most likely to be damaged, many of these under 18s have to deal with an illness where they are often unable to control their bodily functions. Not being able to control your bowels is hard enough on the self-image of mature adults, let alone on pre-teens and teenagers.

Exactly! I was trying to find the right words so as not to alienate the more "seasoned sufferers" but couldn't find them. Turning into an adult is hard enough as it is. :thumright:

FullM3lt

Activate CB2
Diagnosed at age 11 but I had symptoms by age 9. Pancolitis really hurt my self confidence as a pre teen....I flared up bad the summer before 7th grade and had to go on a heavy dose of prednisone. I gained 30 lbs, got the "chipmunk" face and couldn't play football with all of my friends from elementary school because of the horrid joint pain. Kids would make fun of me because of my frequent bathroom trips...sometimes I'd have to go twice in 1 period! :frown:

I feel for all of you that were diagnosed during your teen years....it really took a toll on me mentally and physically. Something you don't need during puberty.

I'm 22 (feel like i'm 75 sometimes) now and doing much better. Can't believe I've had this disease for half of my life already...

43 now, diagnosed at 18. I believe I had my first attack when I was 5 or 6, then went into remission for the next 10 years. 25 years after being diagnosed, I believe I may finally be back in remission.

I'm 18 and I was diagnosed a month ago but I've had it since I was 15, no known remission :(

Hi Reena! Only been a month though. Getting diagnosed can often be the hardest part, but now you're heading in the right direction! i hope you are feeling better today!

Diagnosed at 11, currently 20

Actually feel lucky it only took me 8 months to get diagnosed. It's crazy to think some of you had been ill for 3 years or so with no known reason as to why

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
I'm 28 (29 in 16 days!). Had my first flare and diagnosis this year. However I think I have been showing relevant symptoms and extra intestinal manifestations since about 24.

I was diagnosed at 28. I was in the hospital about a week and a half after my birthday. Had a tentative diagnosis of UC but it was revised to Crohns later. In fact, today marks months from when I was admitted to the hospital. :p