• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New guy on the block...

Hi everyone, as you can tell I am new here. My wife has been checking out this forum for a long time and passing on information to me. Soooo, I decided it was time I got off my backside and join up in order to be more pro-active with this thing called Crohn's. Like everyone else I am sure, I hate it and want it to go away forever but that is a dismal hope at this point. It has been almost a year since my first flare and my diagnosis and I am in the midst of my second major flare. This is week three that I have been off work due to my doc's order's. I know I am not as bad off as others and will do my best to keep that in mind and not sound like I am complaining all the time. Anyway, I am rambling, so... Hi everyone, I am new here and I hope to learn lots and possibly meet some new friends.

Rollin'

Hi Rollin'

Not sure if I should be the welcome wagon or not, I'm fairly new to the site too. But I know exactly how you feel. I was diagnosed 5 years ago and did great until recently. Since April 7th, I have been admitted to the hospital 3 times with a total of 24 inpatient days. Like you, I'm not complaining, it is what it is. It's not that any of us are better or worse off, we are all dealing with the same crappy disease. Three weeks away from work is a long time. Hang in there, it will get better. I have found a lot of good information, fun, and support here and I hope you do the same. I'm sure others will be along shortly and you'll learn your way around the site. Welcome to the forum.

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Hello and welcome Rollin. And both you and Bev should know it ain't complainin' on here it's commiserating cause most of you guys are in the same boat. Good luck:).

Nyx

Welcome to the forum Rollin'...it's been a source of information, consolation, and commiseration for me :) Vent away...rant away....giggle away...it's all good here :) At some point or another, we've all been there...

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Rollin' and :welcome: to the forum. Look forward to seeing you 'round.

All the best, Dusty.

Hello there Rollin',

Welcome aboard! I've only just joined the site too and I'm sure you'll find it as interesting/friendly/warm/supportive as I have.

busy :)

Hey Rollin, Nothing wrong with moaning, you moan away, we all understand !! I hope things pick up soon, sure you will get some great support here and will hopefully help you through your flare !
Take care

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Welcome to the forum Rollin... glad you found us and your wife must be very caring to check our site out for you. There is alot of friendly people here, so much information, I have been here 2 years and I am still learning. We vent, laugh, sorrows are all on here. What kind of meds are you on and how long have you had Crohns.

Everyone pulls together here, thank you people for welcoming him here! ;)

Hello Rollin' and welcome to the Forum!!

This is a great place to gather information and friends.

Sit back, kick your shoes off and enjoy your stay.

Welcoming hugs~Nancy

Regular Joe

Hi Rollin'

Glad you decided to "get off your backside" and joined us. You know our backsides have become increasingly prominent to us with this disease.

I understand being bugged by Crohn's Disease. I also understand the high cost of missing time at work without pay. Crohn's Disease has caused me one heck of a heap of overdue bills.

But some might find this hard to believe. I've reached a point of acceptance with Crohn's Disease where I don't think I need to "give it back" or ask that it go away forever. As long as I keep hope, I know that it can go away for a long long time...that's been shown to me by the folks on here that have had long periods of remission. The good thing is that Crohn's Disease has forced me to take extra close care of my physical and mental health, and my diet, which I night not have done without it.

I don't have to worry about this disease forever, I only have to deal with it over the next 24 hours. That gives me a great deal of peace.

Hang in there, and know that we're here for you.
Joe

Last edited:

Astra

Hi rollin
and welcome

that is great advice off our Joe, and I was gonna say the same too. many months ago I posted on here that I suddenly felt that Crohn's was no longer my Nemesis, I now embrace it, not affectionately, no no, but challengingly, and face each day as it comes, it's an unpredictable bitch, and I'm not gonna let her win!
Take this from an old Crohnie, and in time you will be able to manage it too!
glad you're here, and no longer on the side lines! lots of support and a few belly laughs along the way!
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Thanks for all the warm welcomes...

Welcome to the forum Rollin... glad you found us and your wife must be very caring to check our site out for you. There is alot of friendly people here, so much information, I have been here 2 years and I am still learning. We vent, laugh, sorrows are all on here. What kind of meds are you on and how long have you had Crohns.

Everyone pulls together here, thank you people for welcoming him here! ;)

I was DXed August of 2009. Since then I have been on Asacol for the first 6 months then my GI added 6mp to it as of February. After taking several liver tests my GI found that my liver was not metabolizing the 6mp as good as it needed to so she backed me down from 125 mg to 75 mg. Then about three weeks ago my second flare hit me and she put me on the Allopurinol which is supposed to "trick" my liver into metabolizing the 6mp better. Then she bumped me back up to 125 mg on the 6mp. My last blood test showed the same liver levels at 125 mg as they were at 75 mg now that I am taking 100 mg of the Allopurinol. I just talked to my GI's office today and they said I need to keep up with this course for a while longer in order to give it the full run to see if it will work.

One question? Is it true for most that it takes about two years to get your meds in order so that your Crohns will go into remission?

Last edited:
Hi Rollin... now i've got that song stuck in my had.. Rollin on the river!! great screen name. Welcome.. I'm new to the forum too.
Nah, dont worry about feeling like you're complaining.. it looks like you are in good company here where we are free to voice our concerns and frustrations, and our triumphs too. Another flare up isnt much fun, and I hope you are on the mend soon. Welcome again from a fellow newbie.