• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Sorry, it's veerrrry long!

sorry, it's veerrrry long!

Hello everyone! My name is Teresa but this forum is really for my boyfriend TJ. We're looking for advice, suggestions, anything you can give us.

First off, TJ has always been healthy but he was always going to the bathroom. Everytime he'd eat he'd get up to go to the bathroom but he'd be there for 10-15 minutes at a time. He's 24 years old. January of this year he started getting worse. He was calling into work maybe once a week sometimes two. He finally got insurance and we made a doctors appt with a nurse practitioner in a gastroenterologist's office. (only gastro office that worked with his insurance, and she was the only available NP) So January 29 we went in to see her, she ordered a bunch of blood work because she thought maybe he was pre-diabetic due to the constant urinating and feeling like he has to go again right after he's done. Also wanted a stool sample. They tested for infections and everything came back normal. We scheduled an endoscopy/colonoscopy for feb. 8th.

Feb 8th. After procedure doc said that they biopsied his stomach because it was inflammed. He said he has heartburn and even tho he never feels it he always has it so he put him on prilosec and citrucel, try the prilosec out and the citrucel was indefinite. TJ ended up taking two weeks off instead of the two days to recover because we figured out the priolsec was making him worse. He had every symptom to have when you should stop taking it. Soon after that he stopped taking the citrucel.

Made an app with the gastroenterologist who preformed the procedure for March 9, but because his symptoms progressed we saw him on the 2nd. Doc put him back on the citrucel and ordered more blood work, stool sample, and a CT.
March 8th we did the CT and they wanted to do another colonoscopy. By now TJ has tried going back to work and not making it, he's called his supervisor and HR and left messages. He ended up going back on the 15th of march and his supervisor said he needs another doctor's note because he didn't accept the one TJ brought him and then said come back tomorrow and we'll let you know if you have a job. Needless to say, they fired him. He was two months shy of a year being there so he didn't qualify for the FMLA.
Doctors told us that his CT look abnormal and he may have lymphoma. We made another procedure for May 10th and he said that was just something to get us in to have it done because he lost his job, he lost his insurance. Basically what this comes down to is that the doctor is saying he's normal. He ruled out crohns, celiac and some other things. We bought a crohns diet book to try a few things and he cut back on the dairy.
Doc wants him to do one more test which they say is the last and its to swallow a pill that takes a bunch of pictures of the small bowel. But it will cost us $1700 with out insurance!!! We told him no and so he wants us to come in to talk about managing it. We haven't been in to see him because we already owe $3,000 to him and an office visit is $204. TJ has yet to be able to go back to work, and he didn't qualify for disability because he's a white male, no real diagnosis, no kids. When he becomes active like going out (when able) to play frisbee or fishing hes get sick the next day and spends 3 hours in the bathroom!

Sorry this is so long, we just don't know what to do and I know he doesn't have crohns disease but we were hoping some of you would be able to give us some advice or suggestions! Thank you so much for reading our story :)

Teresa & TJ:sign0085:

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Welcome Teresa and TJ, wow he has been through alot and still no diagnosis. CD and UC is so hard to detect and you two being a US citizen and no insurance is really tough. I dont think it was fair for him to lose his job, but the economy isnt great either. Awareness is needed so bad in IBD.

I am in the Canadian system and I have no idea how to help you that way but there are lots of people in the same boat here and will see your post and help you out. Does he have a lot of pain and blood loss? If he does, getting prednisone could help calm his symptoms. Sorry I can't offer more. Welcome aboard.

Someone come help these two out, any suggestions! From you US Crohnies!

It is so hard to write short stories when you have been through so much. I can relate to some of your story with the fact that I got fired during second hospital admin and lost my health insurance. Since April 7th, I've been in the hospital 3 times for a total of 24 inpatient days. I have lots of medical bills, medicines, and still under physicians care. I don't know what state you live in, but most states have some type of medical assistance program. I live in Florida and use to work for a community action agency that assisted homeless and low income people. These programs are also designed for people like us that need a helping hand. It takes a lot of paper work, providing pay history, loss of income, living expenses, etc....but if it helps pay your bills it's worth it. Also, you stated you went to this doctor through your insurance. Now that you don't have insurance, see if your county has a clinic that works on a sliding scale basis. This way you will be able to afford it and get a second opinion at the same time. United Way and the Salvation Army are also a good resource point, as well as local churches. If they cannot assist you they can usually point you in the right direction. I hope you are able to get some help through this information. The important thing is getting a proper diagnosis. I wish you luck and keep us posted.

hi Teresa & TJ.. i am so upset for you both - if you lived here in the UK the one thing you wouldn't have to worry about healthcare would be money!

ok, i don't really know much about resources in the USA (i presume that's where you are) but here are my suggestions..

write to the consultant, explaining just how bad TJ's quality of life is, and your financial situation - ask him what you should do.

contact the social services department, see if there is any advice or support you can get there.

definitely contact the Crohn's & Colitis Foundation - http://www.ccfa.org/ - i am sure you will get the best advice from them.

good luck - don't give up - and let us know how things go.

Hey

God what a story, I am so very sad for you guys, what a nightmare you have been through. Also living in the UK we don't have to worry about paying for treatment, even though a lot of us have private health care. Its just so terrible, I don't really have anything further to suggest, I totally agree with dingbat you need to fight for this and write to your consultant. Wishing you all the best, and please let us know how you get on.
Good luck jo x

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
I've seen MisB, Beverly, hand out good advice on this subject before but without a clear diagnosis, I'm not sure where you go next. I'd give her suggestions a try. Good luck!!

Thank you for all your suggestions and help. Yes, we live in Idaho. His doctor's office is willing to help us by writing off some of his bill. If we give them 25 dollars they'll write off another 25. He's been doing good this last week. But he's lost about 20-25 pounds total since Jan. I feel awful for him because he's in pain when he's going and his whole body hurts and I can't do anything for him. I will let you know how things are going as they happen. Thanks again.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Teresa and TJ and :welcome:

Oh how awful for the both of you. I'm sorry I can't offer any advice but I wish you both the very best of luck and am sending some healing thoughts and (((hugs))) your way.

Take care,
Dusty