• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Finally diagnosis...! Methotrexate?

Hello All,
Thanks to so many of you who have helped me over the last several months! I received the news today... and will begin taking methotrexate this weekend. So I'll be on 15 mg of prednisone , methotrexate , folic acid and vit D. I'm scared to take the methotrexate!

If you're on methotrexate could you tell me how it's been for you? Side effects?

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
Hi, Arin - Welcome to the club (I guess?). It's good to get started on treatment and I hope that you will soon see an improvement. Hope all goes well.

Hi Arin
I have my first injection and my training next Tuesday. I have started a thread in the treatment page to log the journey. I know there a lot of side effects. I read the info, and then I put it away. Now I will wait and have my shot knowing that it will help me get in to remission quicker than other options I had. I don't tend to focus on the side effects as I don't want to will them in to reality. I have weekly blood tests to monitor functioning for the first 5 weeks and then monthly blood tests. My local nurse and I have a good relationship and I keep her informed of my health. I also take folic acid and vit d. plus others. So please feel free to follow the thread as I will record side effects. I am starting with 16 weeks of 25mg injections.

Hi Arin, I've been on methotrexate for about 10 months now. What is the dosage you were prescribed? Is it oral or by injection?

I started out on 25mg per week, oral. I took it twice a day, on Wednesdays, because I usually get Thursdays and Fridays off. I noticed fatigue, achiness and nausea on that dose... So much so, that Thursdays were usually spent in bed or on the couch. I am now on 15mg a week, and I still notice the same side effects but not as strong as before. I still feel yucky on Thursdays but am able to get up and do things.

I've heard that people experience less side effects with the injections of mtx. Can't say for sure, I've never tried it. Good call on the folic acid, my doctor said that can help with the side effects of mtx. My doc also mentioned this drug should not be taken during pregnancy. If you're on prednisone, you might also want to take some calcium? That's all I've got for now, best of luck to you, I hope it works!!

Last edited:

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi Arin, I just got off injections weekly of 25mg to my 14th week, they screwed up my mg amount and the blood work clinic screwed up and I was feeling so nauseated and headache and thought this was my cue, walked out and told mu Gi it was making me sick and this was my second attempt. So it didnt work for me. But then again neither did Remicade. Everyone is different. The only thing I can suggest is put it in the fattiest part of your body, avoid stretch marks, etc. The slower it releases the less side effects. If you take ginger pills Gravol in Canada now has ginger pills to stop nausea and it worked for me and no drowsiness! This could be your magic drug to keep your Crohns at bay! Let us know how you make out.

:hang:

Hey Arin I was on metho for 4 years, BEST thing EVER!! I regret going off it because that's when i flared... good luck :)

Me too...

I am starting on Methotrexate this coming Monday. I have never done self injections before and I am just a wee bit nervous about that one. If it works though then what the heck right?