• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Diets?

T

Terch

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone on here has ever done an elimination diet to see how it helps their symptoms?
I am presently on a wheat, dairy, soy free diet. Although I haven't received an official crohns diagnosis ( I see my GI in 3 weeks) I have noticed an improvement in my symptoms. I have been on the diet for 6 weeks.

S

Skinsfan1229

Do you mean Elemental Diet?

I've tried something closed to the Makers Diet, Which is pretty much eating organic, and I noticed a difference immediatly, and not only in my wallet!

I've never tried it with no medication though.

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
I have tried several diets, but I have not lasted more than a few weeks on anything. This is usually because my symptoms worsened or I was told by the doctor to stop it.

If a diet is working for you and are getting the proper caloric and nutritional intake, then I think it is fine. Do whatever feels right or helps, but always ensure you are getting the proper nutrition you need.

mikeyarmo said:
I have tried several diets, but I have not lasted more than a few weeks on anything. This is usually because my symptoms worsened or I was told by the doctor to stop it.

If a diet is working for you and are getting the proper caloric and nutritional intake, then I think it is fine. Do whatever feels right or helps, but always ensure you are getting the proper nutrition you need.

That's because... (think preschool now) do re me fa ....hhmmhmmm....

The diets do not work, the diets do not work, hi ho for prednisone, the diets do not work. :ylol2: :ylol2:

Man my sense of humor is getting weirder with every mg of pred I swallow...

Sometimes I envy the people who can control their symptoms with diet. If you can, great. For me, it doesn't really matter. So, I just eat like a pig all the time. What's really weird, is a couple of years ago, I started drinking tons of coffee... literally gallons of the stuff every week because I was so tired. My doc said it was horrible for my stomach, but I was completely asymptomatic for 2 and a half years... I thought the coffee was curing me... nope, just a coincidence.

S

Stuffette

elimination diet

I am finding that watching my diet really makes a difference. I am trying to follow "The Maker's Diet" and it is working out for me. I tried to eliminate specific foods like dairy and wheat before I was officially diagnosed with CD but since CD is a disease and not a food allergy, eliminated specific foods was not the answer for me.

I find that certain dairy, like goat cheese and sheeps milk cheese is ok and regular whole milk and creamy cow's milk cheeses are bad news. That's me though. I also have to stay away from most meat since I get food poisoning often. I have to stick to overcooked chicken and fish. I try to stay away from breads with bleached flour and sugary products. Wheat flour is ok for me as long as it is unbleached. I try to eat sprout bread.

I am on Asacol so that could also be helping.

T

Terch

Funny!

You do have a weird sense of humour!! But it's funny! I read that coffee just black is the second healthiest beverage you can drink! Too bad I don't remember what the number one beverage is.
I was just curious about the diet because I haven't been diagnosed with Crohns still waiting for my results. I started the diet because I was positive that I had celiac disease. Oddly I am getting some relief from my symptoms with this diet so I am now in a conundrum... I think that maybe I do have celiacs, and that I just had a false negative on the testing. Or that maybe the biopsy was from an undamaged part of my intestine.

S

Skinsfan1229

Stuffette's diet would coincide with the Makers Diet.

Goats milk and such isnt as hard on the stomach, they have more digestive enzymes helping your stomach break it down.

R

ruthymg

I didn't try a specific diet, but I did eliminate things from my diet when I was in a flare. The things I tended to avoid were, white bread, milk, spicy foods, pasta, alcohol

Ruth

So weird... see for me, Whole Wheat and grains or fruits and vegatables, which is what I normally eat, would seem like it would hurt me when I'm flaring. But give me a McDonald's cheese burger, or better yet, Krystals, and my tummy feels great... but I think for me it's completely psychosomatic. Do the foods you eat really help or hurt, or do you think you could be up or down anyway. I've talked to some people and they say it's definitely the food, because the reaction is immediate. Mine's not. I don't eat something and then a few hours later feel bad. It might not be for days or a week even, so it's pretty much impossible for me to tell if anything is working or not. Oh well... fun to talk about anyway:ybatty:

S

Skinsfan1229

I can pretty much eat anything I want, anytime I want with no regard to my Crohns. Unless i'm flaring then I'll just take ONE digestive enzyme, in which case I can then drink milk, or eat ice cream.

Hope evveryone can find some "form" of "diet", even though Im not a real supporter of diet being the "cure". Whatever works for YOUR body.