• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New

new

Hey! My name is Ava and I'm recently diagnosed. I'm 19 years old and found out 6.17.2010 that I had Crohn's disease.After battling for 14 years my family and I finally have an answer. I also experience bladder and kidney problems. I had a colonoscopy/endoscopy done and my doctor took 30 biopsies. I was wondering if anyone on these medications could give me some advice on them, this is my first day on them and I just want to know a little something of what to expect. I am on 400 mg Asacol, 20mg Predisone, and 40 mg Omeprazole (sp?). I've experienced such horrible pain and I'm looking forward to feeling better. My doctor said I should feel better within a week. I also have started a diet journal to see what exactly is triggering me. I stay away from dairy and take lactaid if i want some cereal. I also stay away from large amounts of red meat and spicy foods. Anyone with any suggestions on food would also be appreciated! As embarassing as it is, I am greatly looking forward to less trips to the bathroom! I go to a community college and work with special needs children and often find it hard to do simple everyday tasks. Any advice/support would be awesome! Thanks!!!

Last edited:

ameslouise

Hi Ava and Welcome!

Wow, you have been struggling with this for a long time! Glad you finally have an answer and hopefully the meds will start to work right away for you!

I only have experience with Pred, and you will read lots and lots about that on this forum! Check the treatment threads to read more about all of those meds and what you can expect.

Keeping a food diary is a great way to try to gain some control. Food can be hit or miss - some Crohnies can do dairy, others can't, same with red meat, sweets, etc. I also stay away from dairy - I like almond milk best with my cereal, and use rice cheese to make pizza, casseroles, chicken parm, etc.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon! -Amy

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Hi Ava and welcome. EJ was only on a short course of pred, about 6 weeks. It was long enough to give him the moon face and the hyperactivity for a while though, but no problems with it and it did get him back to a more normal life.

When you say 400mg Asacol, I'm assuming you take several of those daily. EJ takes 2400mg total per day and has had no negative reaction to that either. He also takes 50 mg 6mp/day. He's had a pretty good year so far but still has occasional bloody d. Nothing like last fall though, thank goodness.

I hope that eases your mind a little. Good luck!!!

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi Ava welcome!!! I can see you have had some good advice so far. With being on Prednisone and Omeprazole (Nexium for me) it a very good idea to make sure you are taking adequate amounts of calcium. Both are calcium robbers. I use rice milk and I love cereal or oatmeal, quinoa flakes. I use stevia instead of sugar. A low residue diet is good for most. Eat smaller meals more often during the day.

I shouldn't be surprised of a long time diagnosis but that is a long battle! Eating bananas and no sugar added apple sauce. They are safe foods and easy to digest.

:hang: keep us posted how you are doing!m Hope you get relief soon and with Prednisone you will.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I think the only thing you'll notice from the Asacol is the tablet showing up periodically in the toilet as they are time release so they don't usually fully digest. Other than that I had no symptoms from taking it except for it keeping me in remission.

As for Pred. that's a low dose so you may not notice too much. Possibly have trouble sleeping and maybe increased appetite but nothing severe. Pred. usually makes people feel much better after taking it for a couple of days. Hopefully this lower dose will work for you. :D

I have no experience with the 3rd drug you mentioned. Sorry.

Hey Ava, and welcome to the forum. What a relief to get a dx after all this time. I never found I had any side affects with Asacol, and to be honest with 20mg of Pred I didn't get much either. Quite a low dose so you might be ok, but then again everyone is different.

Keeping a food journal is great thing to start, and can really help, like Jettalady said eating little often usually helps. This really works me as isn't too much to digest at one time. Good luck with it all and keep us posted

Jo xx

Thanks to everyone! I really appreciate all the support. I love the comfort of knowing there is someone who understands what I'm going through. For the Asacol yes I take 9 a day and for the Pred. I take 4 in the morning. Would anyone recommend injections vs. meds?

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi Ava, injections usually are best to fully be absorbed in the body. But not all meds are available in injectable form, at least outside the hospitals. Alot of people dont like needles (they dont bother me, at all) so they'd rather use pills. With having Diahreah some meds go right through. Just my take on it. Hopefully you are not on Prednisone long term, not a nice drug.

Hey, I know what your going through since im near the same age and have had to deal with problems. I was first diagnosed when I was in highschool which was very bad since it interrupted alot. But it got better quickly once it was diagnosed / taken care of. So, I hope it is the same and you feel better quickly. I know how it can be embarrassing, esspecially if you are younger

Hey Ava,

I've took pred. It was good, I was quite the shy character when I took it, a few days in too it my mum couldn't shut me up! It didn't give me the moon face, It soon dissapeared afterwards!

I could probably give you a hand with a diet which helps for me, I've been symptom free for 5 years since my operation - always welcome to run you through it so you could try it and see how it is? It'll help with the pred cos you naturally gain weight with it, my diet I've put a lot of research in too it, and actually helps you lose un-wanted body fat!

Astra

Hi Ava (beautiful name)
and welcome

14 years, wow, and so young too!
you're on the right tracks tho, food journal and knowing what you can and can't eat.
I've been on Pred, but started on 40mg, it was fab, and healed me nicely, you may find that your dose is a little too low, but you never know, it might work!
I'm on Pentasa, an amnio salicylate like Asacol and have been for 5 years, had no side effects with it, sorry not been on the 3rd med!
I work with kids with ASD, very challenging and hard work! Tell your colleagues, bosses etc of your condition, that way they can put a support system in place so that you're not alone with them if ever you need to 'go'!
lots of support here, any questions, fire away
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Last edited: