• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Colonoscopy Prep Tomorrow

I have a colonoscopy scheduled for Thursday. Tomorrow is prep day. I know what to expect (not the first colonoscopy). Last time they did not find any problems, but could not get into the small colon. The just told me it was IBS. But the things you do for IBS have not worked.

I had a flare up a few weeks ago that was bad enough to go to the ER. ER did a CT scan and other tests and the ER doc told me it was Crohns. I was referred to a new G.I. doc (glad for the change because the last doc was not agressive in testing).

I had my upper G.I. two weeks ago and they found scarring in the lower esophogas. I am not sure what that means. I just hope that we get a definite diagnosis and I can get proper treatment. I am so tired of this crap!

I had my upper G.I. two weeks ago and they found scarring in the lower esophogas. I am not sure what that means. I just hope that we get a definite diagnosis and I can get proper treatment. I am so tired of this crap!
Do you have GERD? If so, the "scarring" you refer to may be Barrett's Esophagus. This isn't scarring per se, but rather the growth of cells of the type that normally line the stomach into the lower esophagus in response to acid being there, usually as a result of an incompetent LES (lower esophageal sphincter). If you do have Barrett's you want to be sure this is being taken seriously, since it can progress to esophageal cancer.

I can sure relate to the "tired of this crap" sentiment, believe me! :mad:

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hey Doug,

I hope everything goes smoothly for you today. Keep us posted on how you go.

All the best,
Dusty

The colonoscopy did not find anything. They did take some biopsies and I am waiting on those results. I have a followup appointment with the dr. on August 11th.

I am sorry you still have no answers. :stinks: As a fellow-person who has been found to have nothing visibly wrong with them, I sympathize. Maybe the pathology will show something.
Have you had a capsule endoscopy? I think there are several on here who had small-bowel Crohns and that was how it was found b/c they had clear c-scopes as well.

I hope to have the capsule endoscopy next. We had to go in this order because the insurance would not pay for the capsule endoscopy without having the colonoscopy and the endoscopy first.

One the good side, I just spent 4 days camping. Could not eat hardly anything the first 2 days, but days 3 and 4 I had no pain. First pain free days in quite a long time.

The lab work came back on the biopsies. They are all negative (which is good). The stool sample he took had a elevated white blood cell count. The GI dr was trying to tell me that it is IBS. I asked him if he had personally seen the CT scan that was done at the hospital 6 weeks ago. He had not. He looked at the CT scan for several minutes and then said, "Well, it is possible for Crohn's to show up in areas of the small bowel other than the illeum (sp?)"

Tomorrow I have a lactose intolerance test scheduled and on Tuesday I will have the barium x-rays. If there are no strictures he will schedule a capsule endoscopy.

He also increased my priolsec from 20mg to 40 mg daily and prescribed Flagyl. I will start the Flagyl tomorrow after the lactose intolerance test.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hey Doug,

Thanks for the updates. Sounds like you are ploughing your way through the tests. Good luck with your test tomorrow and the Barium on Tuesday, I hope all goes smoothly!.................

:goodluck::goodluck::goodluck:

How's the pain and eating going?

Take care, :)
Dusty

DustyKat

As far as the pain, I seem to have gone back into remission. I am still having diarreah (sp?). The pain is not bad now. I have kept a food diary but I have found no specific pattern to symptoms vs food.

I got through the lactose test and the barium x-rays this week. I have started on Flagyl this week. I had to wait until after the lactose test, Flagyl can effect the results of that test. I am hoping I can get to having normal bathroom visits, without having to rush to the nearest public bathroom at a moments notice. That has yet to happen.

The more I find out about Crohn's the more I am convinced I have it.

be sure to eat with the flagyl it can make you pretty sick to your tummy and good luck. they couldn't get into my small bowel with the scope either. I didn't get my def. diagnosis until they removed my terminal illeum. But was treated for two yrs for crohns before they got the def. diagnosis. they jsut used the term assumed crohns or something like that till they could get in there for sure and find out.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hey Doug,

Good to hear the pain is subsiding but I hope the tests start to give some indication of whats going on. If they don't try not to be too disillusioned 'cause as you would know, around here that's pretty common, doesn't help with the blessed frustration though!

Please continue to keep us posted.

Thinking about you, :)
Dusty