• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I'm getting too old for this shit...

Greetings and salutations everyone.

I'm tapped into the the hospital's wireless network here, and got Internet access here on my 2nd day and found this forum while doing more half-assed google searches on Crohn's disease+diet, CD+fiber, CD+blood, CD+natural remedies, you get the idea.

Here is my story:

I was diagnosed w/ CD in early 2008. I had minor issues of excessive bowel movements and diarrhea before then, but the year before, while going through a nasty divorce, it seemed to be getting worse -- like all the time. Broke down in 2008, told my doc, he sent me to GI, and voila! A colonoscopy shows CD! Wheeee!
(Damn. I was really hoping it was just stress and good dose of Wellbutrin and Xanax would clear it up.)

So he socked me w/ 12 pills of Asocol a day, and that seemed to help for a few months, but then it just petered out.

A year later, I quit smoking, and believe it or not, it cleared up. In 24 hours. I shit you not. I was having one or two max bowel movements a day, with a single, solid stool that would make a 6-year-old boy so proud. Then like an idiot I started smoking again, and the diarrhea and dozen/day porcelain trips came back.

Quit smoking again, but no luck. Maybe I blew my shot the first time and lost my chance when Smoker's Karma gave me an opportunity. Who knows?

Now I've been more or less in consistent flare-up for over a year. A 6-week prednisone treatment earlier this year helped a bit, but I tapered off, and the CD came back as usual. 5-10 daily porcelain trips, 2-3 trips during sleeping hours.

On the prednisone again right now, and last night, after being B.M. free all day, had a B.M. as usual close to bed-time, and ...... it was a blood bath. Toilet bowl full of cherry Kool-Aid. Called my GI's emerg. line, and they told me to go to the E.R.

So here I am. On a IV Prednisone now, and no more bowel movements, because I haven't had a damn thing to eat since last night! And I'm supposed to drive to Maine in 2 days to go camping! Arg!

My poor wife....I almost feel like this was my wedding present to her...fortunately she's understanding and caring, but this is starting to suck for both of us.

I'm 43, and have been off nicotine for a month, no coffee for almost a week (that sucks), and no beer for almost a week (which really really sucks, because brewing beer is my hobby).

Now it looks like I got to get serious about a bland, uninteresting diet, and I'm still not confident that this CD thing is not going to just keep getting worse.

I've read other people here and it sounds like it could be much, much worse, so I'll shutup now. That's my story.

Ask about Remicade! They had me doing the pregnisone then I would flare again then pregnisone, then flare again, and so-on and I said enough is enough and asked about any other treatments and they put me on Remicade infussions and so far it has worked wonders! Id wouldnt hurt to ask them about it and see if its right for you

WELCOME! Hello Dadman and thanks for sharing your story. I feel for you with the diet. And for upcoming plans. I wish I had words of wisdom for you, but I don't because we are in the same boat. I was in remission for 5 years and flared recently. Since April 7th, I've spent over 20 days in the hospital, 2 recent ER visits, and bland diet. Tonight I'm living it up.....soft cooked chicken over soft cooked pasta covered with tomato soup. Living on the edge :lol: I have also post-poned a trip my husband and I planned 3 times now. It's almost becoming a joke.
There are a lot of great people here, and as you put it, been through a lot worse. But it's not about who has endured more, we are all suffering. And we all have triumphs. This is a great place to share both, good and bad. :hang: and keep us posted.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Welcome Dadman!!! I am sorry you had to find us whilst in the hospital ,but at least you can get some support and information here. Your wife I hope is a strong woman because this disease not only affects you but your family too.

I too quit smoking actually 9 years Aug 5th. I didnt find it any better because I was enroute to elective surgery, and didnt fair it well.

I am not a drinker but my brother who is has UC and it irritates his gut. When he quit for awhile his flares calmed down.

I too need to give up coffee, but not ready yet but it is coming very soon. Some people get relief with Questran and myself and my sister who has CD/UC and bleeds (I do not) and the Questran helps alot, but I havent used it in a couple of years. I eat a banana a day and if it doesnt work then I eat unsweetend applesauce. Stress is not a cause but it sure can aggrivate the gut.

Everyone;s symptoms and flares and meds are all different so trial and error, sometimes it is bad and sometimes bareable. Glad you are here, wonderful people here :hang:

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Hi DadMan and welcome!! I was just wondering if after you tapered off the pred did they not prescribe some sort of maintenance drug? I didn't see where you mentioned any. EJ has been mostly well after coming off pred in early January but will still have occasional blood.

Hi DadMan and welcome!! I was just wondering if after you tapered off the pred did they not prescribe some sort of maintenance drug? I didn't see where you mentioned any. EJ has been mostly well after coming off pred in early January but will still have occasional blood.
Hi Dexky -- no, he put me back on Asocol when I tapered off the prednisone the first time. In fact, when I went to see him, and told him I wasn't taking it while ON the prednisone, he looked at me and said, "I think we had a failure to communicate." I know he never told me to keep taking it while on the prednisone...I really question this GI's responsiveness sometimes, but am not in the mood to look for another one...from what I read, they all say the same thing, and it's like a mantra in the medical community as each useless and dangerous pharmaceutical gets tried down the line (sorry if I sound pessimistic, I'm sure that some of these have worked for many):

asacol->prednisone->6mp->remicade->somethingsomething->surgery

I'm seriously eyeballing the SCD diet right now. I like what I'm reading, it makes a lot of sense, and based on my diet of the last 20 years, it seems to me that this is the way to reverse the damage I've done to myself. Or at least it can't hurt to try....I hope!. :)

Some people get relief with Questran and myself and my sister who has CD/UC and bleeds (I do not) and the Questran helps alot, but I havent used it in a couple of years. I eat a banana a day and if it doesnt work then I eat unsweetend applesauce. Stress is not a cause but it sure can aggrivate the gut.
Hi JettaLady, and thanks --- curious about you have to say about Questran. Right now, I'm more interested in less chemicals instead of more, but this one that I never heard of this one, my GI has never mentioned it, but I just looked it up and it sounds like it might be right up my alley based on my symptoms. Is this something your GI gave you?

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi DadMan and :welcome:

Sorry mate but as they say, you're never too old!

Unfortunately I can't offer advice about diet and the meds you are on but when it comes to doctors orders get them to write it down. If your GI normally sends a letter to your GP then ask your GP for a copy of the letter as it will outline the treatment he has prescribed. There's just a lot less room for misunderstanding and miscommunication that way. It's not uncommon for the doctor to tell you one thing when consulting and then when they go to write it up they change it.

Anyway, good to see you here and I look forward to seeing you around. Keep us posted on how you are going.

Take care,
Dusty

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
Hey DadMan,

Quitting smoking was the best thing I could have done to alleviate by Crohn's symptoms. Not the total answer, but it sure helped.

I've tried Asacol, and it didn't do much for me. I've been off and on with Entocort which helps with the flares.

Diarrhea is another story. Ten BMs is a good day for me. Questran didn't really work for me. Haven't found a solution yet.

Hang in there!

I'm seriously eyeballing the SCD diet right now. I like what I'm reading, it makes a lot of sense, and based on my diet of the last 20 years, it seems to me that this is the way to reverse the damage I've done to myself. Or at least it can't hurt to try....I hope!. :)
hey!

i gave the SCD a go a couple years ago and it wasnt too successful for me sorry to say. i ended up losing a massive amount of weight and jsut getting sicker, but i dont think it was all the diets fault. i think i was goin down anyway and the limited calorie intake did not help things.
however i still think there is value in trying it for sure. just make sure that you are getting enough cals and nutrition. i mean youd think that a diet of mainly produce and protein would be super healthy, but the way i see it, many of the foods of the diet are difficult to digest and ailing intestines may not be able to extract the nutrition out of much of what you eat.
just a possibility but for sure you will figure it out as you play with diets and foods.

if you do it try keeping a food journal, that helped me a lot.
and theres a ton of SCD threads in the food&diet section on here, just use the search feature in the toolbar thing and youll find a lotta good stuff.
i still have a list of online stores that were really aweosme when i was on it, lemme know if you want them.

good luck! :)

Dadman--sorry for you! We arre about the same age...and it 'stinks' to have it any age...Work with your doctor and you should get some relief soon. Stay with a good GI...Whatever works...works for one of us and may not work for another...we are each individual in the fight...but we are here for you...Good luck! Sue

ameslouise

Hi DadMan and welcome!

Hope you start to feeling better soon! CD is different for each and everyone of us - what we can eat, what drugs we respond to, etc.

I tried the "natural" approach with diet, vitamins, supplements, etc for 6 months to no avail. But many, many people have success with SCD or Jordan Rubin's "The Maker's Diet" - there are too many success stories out there not to give it a go. My advice would be to stay close to your GI and let him know what you are doing. And he probably won't like it and will try to convince you otherwise. But any "complementary" treatments should be just that - in addition to or in conjunction with traditional pharmaceutical therapies.

Good luck - keep us posted! -Amy

Hello and welcome!!

Sorry you had to find us while you are in the hospital...
but probably a very good thing.

You will get a lot of input here about meds and treatments.
We're all in the same boat. :ybiggrin:

Once in awhile we let someone else row for us...

I have been on Asacol for about 12 years..maintenance dose
and find it great.

When I was first diagnosed and on Prednisone, I was on Asacol at the same time.

Could it be your first round of Pred was too fast a taper?
That can set things back too.

Hoping you get feeling better real soon...

In the meantime I'm sending healing hugs your way~Nancy

Hey ho, thanks for the replies everyone.

Day 3 in the hospital, and it looks like I won't get out until day 4. The want to keep an eye on me and keep injecting prednisone into this Borg tube that goes into my flesh.

Good news is that that I had one BM today, and no blood. Yay! But give it a zero for form. Other than the high dose of prednisone making me feel tense, I'm feeling good...just wish I could be home packing my camping gear about right now.

I told my wife last night about the "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" book, and she looked at it and the reviews on Amazon, so she hasn't come visit me yet because she's been running around the county to different book stores to find it :D

Silvermoon

First of all, Welcome!! Sucks that you found us while sick, but that is usually when people go looking for information...when we are in remission, we don't really feel like we need help...so we don't look for it! lol

... and have been off nicotine for a month, no coffee for almost a week (that sucks), and no beer for almost a week (which really really sucks, because brewing beer is my hobby)....
Awesome on the nicotine thing! I know I really need to give this one up.... but anyone who has been a smoker knows the routine..."Just let me get through (insert whatever lame excuse here) and then I'll quit"....

... from what I read, they all say the same thing, and it's like a mantra in the medical community as each useless and dangerous pharmaceutical gets tried down the line (sorry if I sound pessimistic, I'm sure that some of these have worked for many):

asacol->prednisone->6mp->remicade->somethingsomething->surgery....
Yup...that pretty much sounds like the route...BUT...it doesn't happen for all of us.... Like I said above...(and in some other post somewhere else)...remission is boring to write about...so you aren't going to find a lot of people posting about it on the internet.... it's the really scary stuff that grabs people's attention...so that is what they post...and that is what catches our eye when we go searching for info.....

And for some of us... this is a circular route...not a linear one....:

asacol=> pred=> remicade=> surgery=> pred=> surgery=> asacol=> remicade...

I hear you on the "chemical" thing too.... I swore when I was a littel girl...as I was watching my grama fill her pill box for the week...that I was NEVER going to take pills..... Well things change when you are lying on a hospital bed dying.... you get a different outlook on life...and some things all of a sudden are the lesser of the two evils....

I wish you all the best...and I hope you stick around and keep us posted. You sound like you are managing to keep a bit of a sense of humor about you, despite all the bad stuff.... keep it up as much as you can....

As my hubby said to me not too long ago..."Shit happens, Babe...it's how you go about cleaning it up that matters...."

Glad you found this place, sorry you found it in your current situation though. I've had CD & UC for about 3 years now and I'm already sick of it! Of my own experience, this beast does treat everyone differently. Sadly, a lot is trial and error on what works with your body. Hang in there :)

Astra

Hi Dadman
and welcome

glad you found us, altho under awful circumstances!
hope the Pred works for you, I was on it 6 months back, and it healed me nicely, I'm tapering of Entocort now and still on Pentasa, my maintenance drug.
how about a low residue diet for now, gives your bowels a complete rest whilst your healing, works for me, you can find this in the diet sections.
good luck and feel better soon
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

I hope things get better for you! I wouldn't be too good at meds advice i've only ever been on pentasa which seems to do the trick for me!

Greetings and salutations everyone.

I'm tapped into the the hospital's wireless network here, and got Internet access here on my 2nd day and found this forum while doing more half-assed google searches on Crohn's disease+diet, CD+fiber, CD+blood, CD+natural remedies, you get the idea.

Here is my story:

I was diagnosed w/ CD in early 2008. I had minor issues of excessive bowel movements and diarrhea before then, but the year before, while going through a nasty divorce, it seemed to be getting worse -- like all the time. Broke down in 2008, told my doc, he sent me to GI, and voila! A colonoscopy shows CD! Wheeee!
(Damn. I was really hoping it was just stress and good dose of Wellbutrin and Xanax would clear it up.)

So he socked me w/ 12 pills of Asocol a day, and that seemed to help for a few months, but then it just petered out.

A year later, I quit smoking, and believe it or not, it cleared up. In 24 hours. I shit you not. I was having one or two max bowel movements a day, with a single, solid stool that would make a 6-year-old boy so proud. Then like an idiot I started smoking again, and the diarrhea and dozen/day porcelain trips came back.

Quit smoking again, but no luck. Maybe I blew my shot the first time and lost my chance when Smoker's Karma gave me an opportunity. Who knows?

Now I've been more or less in consistent flare-up for over a year. A 6-week prednisone treatment earlier this year helped a bit, but I tapered off, and the CD came back as usual. 5-10 daily porcelain trips, 2-3 trips during sleeping hours.

On the prednisone again right now, and last night, after being B.M. free all day, had a B.M. as usual close to bed-time, and ...... it was a blood bath. Toilet bowl full of cherry Kool-Aid. Called my GI's emerg. line, and they told me to go to the E.R.

So here I am. On a IV Prednisone now, and no more bowel movements, because I haven't had a damn thing to eat since last night! And I'm supposed to drive to Maine in 2 days to go camping! Arg!

My poor wife....I almost feel like this was my wedding present to her...fortunately she's understanding and caring, but this is starting to suck for both of us.

I'm 43, and have been off nicotine for a month, no coffee for almost a week (that sucks), and no beer for almost a week (which really really sucks, because brewing beer is my hobby).

Now it looks like I got to get serious about a bland, uninteresting diet, and I'm still not confident that this CD thing is not going to just keep getting worse.

I've read other people here and it sounds like it could be much, much worse, so I'll shutup now. That's my story.
Hey there DadMan,
Glad you're able to use the network there, I too bring my laptop with me when I am at my home away from home (Harbor UCLA Medical Center :lol2:) which has been quite a few times over the last 18 months. The IV pred always seems to work wonders to slow down my flairs. right now I am one Oral Pred and pentasa, and B-12 IV and TPN. I too like you am not always the most pleasant guy to be around while on the prednisone!! Can you say CRANKY!! They are considering Remicade, will find out next month.

On the smokes hope it helps, I smoke but pretty lightly 4-5 a day, have not noticed a difference one way or the other but hey there are other health benefits of being a non smoker. On the drinking thats one that with me where after quitting there apps to be a significant difference. On diet thats the only place I have been fortunate I eat what I want and just play it by ear, if I am in the middle of a flair I eat little to nothing but then again I am TPN dependent so I don't rely on the nutrition from my food intake anyway.
Lets see, not much other than this. I am pretty old school when it comes to my beliefs about Crohns, back when I was diagnosed, 36 years ago one of the thoughts was that Crohns is stress related, now I know most will say today that stress only plays a part but I have done A LOT of reflection and looked at time lines with regards to what was happening in my life during flair ups and for me it appears that stress or maybe better put how I respond and deal with stress has played a major part in my illness, so I would suggest taking a look at stree and the roll it may play in your life.

Good cheers to you and may you be out of the hospital and under the stars soon.

Richard :cheers: