• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My boring story (Daniel Leblanc)

Hi, I'm Daniel. I was diagnosed with crohn's disease about 4 years ago when I was fifteen years old. At the time, I was very pale and skinny which was very abnormal, because I was always healthy and never as white as my dad because of my mother's Caribbean background. So I consulted a doctor, they made me take a bunch of tests. Started off with MRI's and CAT scans followed by Barium solvent. Nothing was really conclusive, I was prescribed iron supplements because I definitely had anemia. They had a feeling that I had gastro problems and said the anemia could very well be related to crohn's disease; they said I certainly had it, but couldn't officially diagnose it. So a colonoscopy followed later on, I got an abscess caused by a cut when trying to get into the small intestine, but it was way too swollen. A few months later, they got me to take the pill cam test; and unfortunately (believe it or not), that got stuck at the end of my small intestine.

By now, it has been 3 years of treatments, prescriptions as well as failed tests. Doctors finally decided to go for an operation. They removed half a meter of small intestine, my ileum, my appendix as well as the damn pill cam. I had major swelling in the lower right side area of my stomach, that's where the inflammation was; right by the appendix and junction of the small intestine and colon (where the ileum is). So they removed all that, they said it was ridiculously swollen, heavy like a new born baby; I found that funny. The appendix was removed because it was in that same area, has no known function so may as well.

A month after that was done, I had grown 2 inches and gained 24 pounds; it was unreal. I was very happy. I haven't thrown up ever since the operation which is miraculous, and I suffer no pain. The only treatment/ medicine I take is Remicade, and besides that I take calcium supplements.

Thank god I live in Canada, I would of easily cost my parents over 100 thousand dollars for this burden. And I'm oh so happy not having to go to the doctors and not having to spend thousands of hours with them.

Welcome to the forum Daniel!

I've experienced similar symptoms to yours, being pale and skinny and iron deficient. I was also diagnosed at fifteen and have been dealing with this going on two years now.

Good luck to you in keeping the disease in remission :)

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Daniel,

So good to hear that you finally got sorted and have bounced back better than ever. You have had a similar journey as my daughter, diagnosed around the same age and the same op performed. She is now 4 years post surgery and still going strong. I hear you about the health system as we are fortunate to have a similar one here.

Glad you could join us and I look forward to seeing you around.

All the best,
Dusty

ameslouise

Hi Daniel and welcome!

Glad to hear you are feeling good now and that the Remi is keeping you in remission!

There are lots of young adults on here, people diagnosed as teenagers, and parents of young Crohn's patients. I am sure your experiences will be helpful to them all, in addition to you finding support on here yourself!

Stay well and keep growing! - Amy

Bienvenue, Daniel! Sorry to hear you had a rough time in the beginning, but glad to hear that you are feeling better. How often are you following up with your doctor?

Astra

Hi Daniel
and welcome

so glad you're getting better and that Remi is working for you! hope you stick around to help all our young Crohnies!
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

im glad to hear things are going well for you! i certainly feel you on the cost side! i feel terrible that ive cost my parents so much money in trying to find an answer for me. and the hours with numerous doctors was awful. sometimes i think they just pretend to know what theyre doing ;) haha.